Confused about international

mbmarsh

Reaction score
Going to Curacao next week. Map says it has full CDMA data and voice coverage. Talked to Verizon rep, who says Moto Droid won't work there???

I don't really care so much about phone, although would be nice for emergency. But I did want the data so I could use the GPS to get us where we're going.

Anybody know if you can use the Droid for data in Curacao, or what I need to do to get this working? Help - we leave on Memorial Day!!!!

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
I understand that, I saw the same thing. When I called customer service however, the guy (who didn't know Curacao was a country), said that the Droid was not an international phone, and so would not work in Curacao, even though the map says they have full CDMA data coverage.

If someone can tell me who to call and what to ask for, I would really appreciate it!!!! I hate to just keep trying to call Customer Service until I reach someone semi-intelligent.

Loisal

Reaction score
In order to get around this in the future, find a nice helpful friend in the US who you can have your US order delivered to.

Benton

Reaction score
I think someone got side-tracked and crossed a couple of different conversations in an answer above.

To the OP, I use my Droid internationally where there is CDMA coverage and the phone works fine. I have never used data internationally due to costs and just use wifi where I fine that to check emails, browse the web, etc. You will need to sign up for the international roaming service to have your phone work overseas (no added cost just an authorization thing they want). Before you leave the US be sure to update you roaming list (*228 option 2), towers are changed often in some places overseas. You do not need to sign up for any international service for using wifi overseas.

As for the Customer Service rep that told you the Droid will not work overseas...you'll have to write that off to inexperience or lack of training on that person's part. Often people get confused with World phone (having GSM and CDMA) versus international usage on oversears CDMA networks. Bottom line for the Droid, if it is on the VZW map as covered then it is covered (back to the costs...check those roaming rates!).

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
Is there any way to get the data stuff for less? I really don't care about email at all, but really wanted to use GPS to help us get around......can I sign up for the Global Email thing, or will that not work?

Thanks so much for clarifying on the voice thing.....

jozhua

Reaction score
Is there any way to get the data stuff for less? I really don't care about email at all, but really wanted to use GPS to help us get around......can I sign up for the Global Email thing, or will that not work?

Thanks so much for clarifying on the voice thing.....

I think you're just going to have to call them again. I am confused on this as well. Does unlimited email actually mean unlimited data? They don't say on the site.

OP
M

mbmarsh

Reaction score
Whew - called Global Travel for Verizon, finally got someone who has a clue - he says data will work in Curacao, set me up for the $64.99 international data plan on top of my existing plan, which will start automatically on the day we leave, and end on the day we come back. If it works like he says it will, I'm thrilled and relieved.

The question is, will it work like he says it does......will have to wait and see. I'm really hoping so for the GPS stuff - would be nice to have real navigation over there for our day trips....

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you guys know how it all works out!

nickv84

Reaction score
Whew - called Global Travel for Verizon, finally got someone who has a clue - he says data will work in Curacao, set me up for the $64.99 international data plan on top of my existing plan, which will start automatically on the day we leave, and end on the day we come back. If it works like he says it will, I'm thrilled and relieved.

The question is, will it work like he says it does......will have to wait and see. I'm really hoping so for the GPS stuff - would be nice to have real navigation over there for our day trips....

Thanks for all the help, I'll let you guys know how it all works out!

I went to Mexico (CDMA country) back in December/January and did exactly what you describe here - data is really all you need and the network coverage was great. That said, here are a few warnings:

• Don't text, it's not covered by the data plan
  • Make sure to call Verizon when you get back and verify they've taken you off the international plan. I had issues with them and ended up resolving it only after emailed the CEO to complain about their incompetence
  • GPS will work to track your location but don't expect turn-by-turn nav in Curacao

thelinuxdude

Reaction score
Did you select data roaming and get a txt about usage?

So while in Mexico did you get a FREE VZW TXT about data usage over $100 and to contact Global Services?

I setup the $64.99 plan for over here in Korean and Japan and while out here I got a text from VZW. The only way I could get my phone to all data was to check the Data Roaming (which warned me about Roaming Charges).

I'm still out here in Korea and wanted to be sure. I was also told from Verizon that the $64.99 plan covers email/data usage and no txt.

Thanks