Confused about flashing kernels

loki993

Reaction score
Ok, so I have my Rez unlocked, rooted and I also s-offed it. I'm reading about flashing kernels and I'm a bit confused. Isn't the kernel in a PH98IMG file? The one I used for the ROM I'm on was built into the ROM and it flashed itself so I didn't have to push it. I guess I'm sot sure why I have to push it through ADB. Why cant I just drop it on there SD card and boot into recovery and flash it like that?

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the skinny. By S-Off'ing you've unlocked all of the security on the phone. However PH98IMG.zip wasn't meant to be flashed. So while you now could flash a kernel in recovery, it wasn't packaged in a manor to allow it. You should still be able to boot(into HBOOT) with it on your SD card, unless the modified HBOOT doesn't allow that. Pretty much the point that you're at is to "wait" for ROM devs to start packaging ROM's for S-Off users. Which I don't think anyone has done yet. Wonderful to be on the bleeding edge...no..??

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I didn't explain it right, I said boot into recovery didn't I. When I was taking about the kernel I was talking about copying the PH98IMG to the SD card, booting into fastboot on the phone and then it should see the file and Vol up to flash it right? I see everyone seems to say push it through ADB though. Ive never done that and I guess I dont understand why

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
I didn't explain it right, I said boot into recovery didn't I. When I was taking about the kernel I was talking about copying the PH98IMG to the SD card, booting into fastboot on the phone and then it should see the file and Vol up to flash it right? I see everyone seems to say push it through ADB though. Ive never done that and I guess I dont understand why

I think S-Off removed this limitation but I know I would always suggest this method because of the Mainver issue. Flashing the kernel via fastboot(on a PC) takes that mainver issue right out. That and it's horribly easy, and you don't need to remember to remove PH98IMG.zip from your SD card. I only flash my kernels in this manor because I don't like having to work around/adjust Mainver instead of just flashing the kernel in one step and calling it a day.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
I think S-Off removed this limitation but I know I would always suggest this method because of the Mainver issue. Flashing the kernel via fastboot(on a PC) takes that mainver issue right out. That and it's horribly easy, and you don't need to remember to remove PH98IMG.zip from your SD card. I only flash my kernels in this manor because I don't like having to work around/adjust Mainver instead of just flashing the kernel in one step and calling it a day.

Well that make sense, so that gets the mainver thing out of the was which was a question I had as well.