Confused about contact lists

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Why on my DX are my phone contacts and google contacts lists different after I've combined them and sync'd them? Shouldn't they be identical?

OP
jackmccarron

jackmccarron

Reaction score
There are some entries in one list that aren't in the other, and vice versa. Also there are some items at the beginning of each list that are NOT in alphabetic order. How do I get them reorganized alphabetically?

BodyBagz

Reaction score
There are some entries in one list that aren't in the other, and vice versa. Also there are some items at the beginning of each list that are NOT in alphabetic order. How do I get them reorganized alphabetically?
Part of this can be chalked up to how Verizon vs Android...meaning which one is actually controlling your contacts. For instance, each time you add a new contact and number, your phone should ask which you would like to handle that contact...GMail or the Phone (which is Back-Up Assistant)...and thats where the confusion gets to the hair pulling area...

Best solution I have found, is to add ALL contacts to your Gmail account...edit them accordingly with as much info as you like. Then, once you are done, export them to a .CSV file and save it on your PC somewhere, as well as on the SD card...you will need it again shortly. Now, after doing this, go back into your phone and uninstall the GMail application. Then go to the Market and redownload and install GMail app. Do Not Let It Sync Contacts!! As it installs, it "should" ask you to either Sync or Import your contacts...select Import and navigate to the .CSV file you exported earlier. Import the contacts, and then afterwards, you should be able to sync with no issues. Next time you add a new contact, make sure to have your Google account be the one it is added to, and not just the phone.

As far as the alphabetical arrangement...that is actually tied to how you name the contacts. By default, the lists are Numeric, then Alphabetical based on the first name of the contact. I do not know of a work around at this time that changes this to last name organization by default. The "bass-akwards" way to do this is just use the last name in the first name line, and the first name in the last name line...pain in the rear to do...but it is a work around of sorts...

Hope this isnt too confusing and actually helps ya some...:)

OP
jackmccarron

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Bodybagz - Thanks very much. I'll try your procedure in the next few days. I appreciate your time and effort!

Jack