Confused about CM4DX and CyanogenMod 7

billyfj

Reaction score
I have used only the Liberty mods since rooting my DX. I am currently on Justice v01. I really like Justice, but hate the battery life coming from the Liberty AOSP. Since I am past the hesitation of doing a SBF since I had to do this for Justice, I have thought about trying other Roms like CM7. I wanted to know if there is a difference in CM4DX and CM7 and what they are if any? Also your personal thoughts on any Roms knowing that I like Justice but not the battery life. Thanks all for your response

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Liberty is NOT AOSP. Its is based off of Motorola builds and is intended to be similar to AOSP. CyanogenMod 7 is the name of the rom. CM4DX is simply an abbreviation. CyanogenMod IS an AOSP rom.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
In my opinion, its going to be difficult to get great battery life out of CM4DX because of the kernel restraints...but I wouldn't be too surprised if that doesn't end up being the case and they find a way to get great battery life out of the motorola froyo kernel. If you like justice, you should like CM7 even more. It seems to have less issues from what I've read. Both justice and CM7 are AOSP roms, but justice uses Cyanogenmod's source to build the rom rather than Google's source that Cyanogenmod uses.

draexo

Reaction score
I've run all of them and I am currently back at rooted 596 stock. I plan on going back to CM4DX once I get time....wait I've never run SSX

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

icebluemale30

Reaction score
id like to know the same thing i had so so much trouble with CM7 and and Liberty roms
to install the only one that installed smooth was justice but the battery was killing me i always see the CM7 and CM4DX never could figure what was the difference ?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
The difference has been answered. CyanogenMod 7 is the name of the rom which is supported for multiple devices. CM4DX simply refers to the Droid X version of the rom.

ronlsjr

Reaction score
Im running CM7 on my droidx and my battery life is good as far as i notice. I install every CM7 nightly release.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
billyfj

billyfj

Reaction score
The difference has been answered. CyanogenMod 7 is the name of the rom which is supported for multiple devices. CM4DX simply refers to the Droid X version of the rom.
Thanks for the clarification. Have you tried both CM7 and Justice? Do you prefer one over the other?

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I would go with cyanogenmod considering justice isn't built from the ground up (as in from google's AOSP source), but is built from cyanogenmod's hard work.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
No problem man. Another thing you might want to look into would be the Team Black Hat app. P3Droid (one of the developers of the app) has access to files through Motorola that no one else seems to have (sbf files, leaks, etc.). I saw earlier you mentioned the burden of having to flash an sbf, so I figured you would be interested in the all-in-one flashable zip files found in the Team Black Hat app that will prevent you from having to flash an sbf to get back to where you would like to be. See the link below for the app.

http://shop.teamblackhat.info/Software_c3.htm

sigua

Reaction score
I have used only the Liberty mods since rooting my DX. I am currently on Justice v01. I really like Justice, but hate the battery life coming from the Liberty AOSP. Since I am past the hesitation of doing a SBF since I had to do this for Justice, I have thought about trying other Roms like CM7. I wanted to know if there is a difference in CM4DX and CM7 and what they are if any? Also your personal thoughts on any Roms knowing that I like Justice but not the battery life. Thanks all for your response

I went from Liberty AOSP to CM7, and loved it... until the battery issue finally wore me down. If you're like me and like to use your phone a lot, and don't always have access to a charger, then CM7 (unless they fix it) will eventually wear you down too. While you're on Justice, though, you might as well try out CM7 before you decide to go back, if you do.

I'm very happy with Liberty AOSP and APEX. I know they're not true aosp, but I like the fact I can use the blur alarm clock and camera. The aosp camera just doesn't do it for me. If the CM7 team does end up getting 30% more battery life out of it, I'd be more than happy to go back though.