Configuring Do Not Disturb

SallyC

Reaction score
I have Do Not Disturb set up to allow exceptions from Calls or Alarms, but not Messages. I also have the calls/messages set to Favorites only. What I was hoping was that only calls from my Favorites would come though, along with any Alarms I'd set, but last night I also got two texts so I can see I did that wrong.

How can I set it so only any wakeup alarms, and also only calls from Favorites are exceptions?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
DND has been such a pain to figure out. I'm still not convinced that I understand it. I allow alarms and all calls and texts from anyone in my contacts, so I'm afraid I can't be much help in narrowing it down.

Good luck though!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I only like text and calls from my favorites.. But what happens if you unchecked messages
06ffe1117851030db38638d9f12082bd.jpg

S6E+ tapatalk

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
This is what I have.
61081e2de0b2778b2f582398145f7636.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I wonder if you have to turn the notifications off from within the text messaging app also.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Are you using the stock messaging app for texts, or a third-party app? I know, at least at one point, while using Google Hangouts as my texting app, I had it set to allow texts, but I missed an important one because apparently it didn't recognize it or something. Kind of the opposite of your problem, but I'm wondering if that's a factor.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
Hmmm. I'm using Message+ 5.6.8 I think that's stock, but I'm not sure. I do see in the settings on the app I have a reminder notification set up. And the sound is different than the sound I have on my phone's settings for messages. The sound that woke me up both times last night was not the sound set in my phone setting, but the one that was on the message app. So you may be onto something there.

I turned it off. It's kind of nice because it's a repeat reminder in case I don't hear it the first time. But if its found a way around do not disturb, then I guess it's not really worth it.

Thanks for all the good ideas! I will turn off reminders in the app, and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
And the sound is different than the sound I have on my phone's settings for messages. The sound that woke me up both times last night was not the sound set in my phone setting, but the one that was on the message app.
I'm assuming you're referring to the "Default notification sound" (or similar) in your main sound settings? That's the sound it will play for an app's notification if they don't let you choose the notification sound and/or by default a lot of times if they do let you choose your own sound within the app.

If you set a notification sound within Message+, that's what you'll hear when you get texts. So, if the sound you heard came from Message+ and wasn't the one you've got set as the Default Notification sound, that makes plenty of sense.

Just make sure you're only turning the reminder off and not the notification itself. Otherwise, you won't get notified of ANY texts all day. Quite the opposite of what you're going for...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I hope that works. That is the one thing that drives me crazy; that there is phone notification settings and then each app has their own notification settings. Then trying to figure out which is causing it to not work like you want, the phone's or the apps setting.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I hope that works. That is the one thing that drives me crazy; that there is phone notification settings and then each app has their own notification settings. Then trying to figure out which is causing it to not work like you want, the phone's or the apps setting.

I have to disagree. I set my default notification sound to silent. Most apps don't bother me that way, unless I change their individual settings on purpose.

OP
SallyC

SallyC

Reaction score
You know what? I think I made a mistake in my reply. There is no place in messages+ to set up a notification sound. Only to turn on reminders.

In my phone setting under sound I have a default notification sound. Then under messages in the sound area of the phone app I have the place where I can set a particular sound for messages. I have a sound set there for messages, but it is different than the default notification sound.

In the Message+ app is where I can set up if I want repeat notifications. What is happening is that my message notification sound sounds once, and then the repeat notification sound is my default notification sound.

So I turned off reminders in the message app since the sound that I heard in the early morning hours was the default notification sound and not the sound I set for my messages app.

It appears that somehow the reminder notification, which is using the default notification sounds, is bypassing the Do Not Disturb function.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I have to disagree. I set my default notification sound to silent. Most apps don't bother me that way, unless I change their individual settings on purpose.
Yes! That is exactly what I do... now! But I tell ya, it took me forever to figure out that the reason my notifications were not acting how I set them up was because the phone's settings had their own idea. If I want a notification (which is for almost nothing), I'll set it up through the app myself.