Concerned the RAZR might randomly turn itself on like other Moto Gingerbread phones

Ninjak

Reaction score
I work in a secure building where we have to stow our cell phones in lockers before going beyond the lobby. Therefore, I perform a full shutdown of my Droid 2 and retrieve it after the workday. For the last several weeks, 50% of the time I've opened the locker after work to find my phone already powered on and significantly drained from trying to find a signal all day. Knowing I didn't have this issue pre-Gingerbread, I began researching what could solve it. Lo and behold, I find that this is not only a major, unresolved, well-known problem, but that it seems to be affecting only Motorola Gingerbread phones. All the complaints I see in my research are from Droid 2, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid X2, and even Bionic owners. Aside from pulling the battery when they want to keep the phone turned off, they've got no answers. This leads me to be quite concerned that the same fate may befall the RAZR. Obviously, Motorola hasn't figured out the cause yet, as evidenced by months of non-solution responses on their support forums, so there's no reason to believe it won't happen to their new phone. It's possible, but definitely not guaranteed, that this issue will vanish in Ice Cream Sandwich. But, even if it does, I sure as hell don't relish the thought of suffering such a problem during the wait for the ICS OTA. Particularly since I can't pull the battery out of a RAZR unlike my Droid 2. Some users have found success in disabling the power saver settings, but about as many have not. I've got the RAZR on pre-order now, but I might have to cancel it or return it to go for the Nexus if no solution reveals itself. Naturally, it'll be said that that's what I should do if that makes me feel more assured, but I was wondering what everyone else thinks. Hopefully this potential dealbreaker can have a happy ending.

destin246

Reaction score
easy just turn it on silent before u turn it off or put it in sleep mode

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

destin246

Reaction score
sleep mode barely uses if any battery at all

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. But all electronics must be completely turned off. Sleep isn't an option. Counts as a potential security violation. I'll have to start doing battery pulls for the D2 as it is, it appears. Leaving a RAZR at home because of the issue would be unacceptable, unfortunately. Besides, not being able to do something as simple as turn my phone off and expect it to remain off is nonsense.

OP
Ninjak

Ninjak

Reaction score
Turned off power save mode last night. Turned off phone on the way to work this morning. Said the magic words "ala peanut butter sandwiches!" and the phone turned itself back on 2-3 minutes later. It's like Night of the Living Phone or something. If it happens without the battery installed, I'll need to try an exorcism. ;)

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
I've never had my bionic turn ourself back on, hmmkk

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Could your phone Heaver been putt on never sleep mode when you activated USB debugging
?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Research third party spy ware that reactivates power to keep you on the grid and traceable, your wife has her eye on you mate.

R

RETG

Same problem here with my Droid X after the GB download. Hasn't been a big issue with me since the only times I turn it off was when I was in court, and I was able to handle that problem with just turning the sound off so as not to disturb anyone. But, prior to GB I used to just shut it down and after GB, could not rely on the the phone remaining off.

That is one reason why I will wait a few months before leaping onto another Moto phone; and if there are problems, then on to HTC.

crwys

Reaction score
My Droid X has never turned it self back on... Weird.
What you can do is put your phone into airplane mode, turn it off. And if it turns back on at least the battery won't drain from trying to find a signal.

Heywood

Reaction score
Do you have the option of leaving it in your vehicle?

DroidHoff

Reaction score
Same problem here with my Droid X after the GB download. Hasn't been a big issue with me since the only times I turn it off was when I was in court, and I was able to handle that problem with just turning the sound off so as not to disturb anyone. But, prior to GB I used to just shut it down and after GB, could not rely on the the phone remaining off.

That is one reason why I will wait a few months before leaping onto another Moto phone; and if there are problems, then on to HTC.

HTC is not without their own bugs as well.... Just do a quick google search on "htc text message time stamps". Having owned a thunderbolt I can tell you from experience that just that issue alone is enough to drive you crazy. Plus its been known for years, yet still not fixed!