Computer wont start

ivan_411

Reaction score
My computer won't start when I push the button. This is the second time in the past week and a half. The power supply makes a buzzing noise when its on, and when I turn the switch off, it slowly fades away. I managed to fix it the 1st time by leaving the power supply on for about an hour. When I checked back, the noise was gone and it started working. I've tried to do the same but its not working.

Is there anyone who can give me their 2 cents on what might be happening and a way how to fix it. I've had my computer for close to 3 years
Computer specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2ghz
Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P motherboard
8gb ddr3 ram
Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 1gb graphics card
1TB hdd
680W psu

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Yeah try switching out the power supply and seeing if that will fix it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
ivan_411

ivan_411

Reaction score
I switched it out with the power supply from my old computer. Its a 200w psu, but its only a 20 pin. It works fine on my old computer, but makes the same buzzing noise on this one.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Im not sure then.... im more of a software person than hardware. Sorry I can't tell you anything =/

Sent from my Liberated D2G

silvasrt4

Reaction score
If it doesn't have sufficient power to supply to your computer it wont work. 200w is a very small PSU, but may be adequit for one machine and not the other. The buzzing is most definitely the power supply going out. Also if your putting a power supply with only a 20pin connector into a 24pin board there is going to be problems haha, however, you can put a 24pin power supply into a 20pin board.

Sources: 5+ years computer repair

OP
ivan_411

ivan_411

Reaction score
Thanks for the help.
I also thinks its the power supply, but then again, even when I plug in the old psu, it makes the same noise. After I fixed it the 1st time it happened, I had it running for about 10 hours a day for a week. Today I woke up that noise and it wouldn't start again. I guess ill go and buy a power supply. I'm sure I can return it if that's not the case.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Correct but the old one only fits into 20 of the 24 slots correct? so you can't really gauge whether its working right.

See if you can hit a local electronics store tomorrow and pick up a 24pin psu.

After that if you get the same deal it could be a bad capacitor on the board. Which is only solved by getting a new board.

Sources: 15yrs computer repair. (sorry silvasrt4, I had to :p )

OP
ivan_411

ivan_411

Reaction score
Yea, I'm I'm going to try buying one asap.
What I don't understand is that the 1st time it happened, I was able to solve the problem and was able to start it up and use it for a week. Is it possible for it to be the motherboard even though it ran smoothly throughout this past week that I've used it.

P.S. the 15 years experience made me laugh. Lol. I don't think anyone can top that.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are some older guys on here, i'm sure they would beat me.

The capacitor thing is just something I know happens to mine (its in a very cold room) and sometimes if its been off for a while it will whine and hiss and make all kinds of noises during startup.

Once it has its fill of voltage and is keeping the temp up then it stops.

OP
ivan_411

ivan_411

Reaction score
I've also tried that method of how to test the power supply. Where u place a paperclip into the power and ground connectors. It didn't work for me, maybe its because I did it wrong though.