Computer Crashing

jerryc41

Reaction score
When I connect the USB cable and set it to Mass Storage mode, my PC crashes (blue screen and shut down). This has happened with both Motorola's Media progam abd also with DoubleTwist.

Any help here?

Jerry

steeveegee

Reaction score
Are you using the cable that came with the phone?
When I first got my x I was using an old cable I had for another phone. I wasn't able to connect and it was causing issues
The cable worked fine for my camera and my droid incredible but wouldn't work with my x
Used the cable they gave me with my x and all was well

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
J

jerryc41

Reaction score
Yes, Original Cable

Thanks for the info, but I am using the cable that came with the X. The first time it happened, I thought it was a problem with MML. Then it happened with DoubleTwist. As soon as I switch to Mass Storage (I think), the computer crashes.

Jerry

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
sounds like bad usb controller drivers. What type of PC is it and whats the model number?

OP
J

jerryc41

Reaction score
Everything esle seems to work OK on the USB - this is directly off the computer, not a hub. The computer is a Dell Studio XPS Core i7, about a year old. I had the same problem when I tried to sync an iPod. iTunes told me there was a problem with it, so I did a restore of the iPod, and it worked OK.

Jerry

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Everything esle seems to work OK on the USB - this is directly off the computer, not a hub. The computer is a Dell Studio XPS Core i7, about a year old. I had the same problem when I tried to sync an iPod. iTunes told me there was a problem with it, so I did a restore of the iPod, and it worked OK.

Jerry

Having 2 different pieces of hardware duplicate the same issues leads me to believe its something they share causing the problem. It could either be a bad USB Controller, Conflicting IRQ settings, Itunes, or faulty drivers.

Start with the easy stuff first, try removing Itunes, if it still happens go into device manger and uninstall the USB Controllers, then reinstall them. If neither of those work, try to reformat. Its definitely not your phone.

ndfan4u

Reaction score
I am having exactly the same problem. This of course after the official OTA update.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am having exactly the same problem. This of course after the official OTA update.

So your PC BSOD when you connect it via usb and set mass storage mode? Do you have RSDlite installed? Any moto drivers? BSOD is caused from hardware faults, but it doesn't mean the hardware itself was the culprit. Sometimes bad instructions are sent from drivers/software causing hardware to crash, which leads to a bsod.

Have you tried the phone on multiple PC's? That would be my next suggestion, see if it happens on a different PC. If it does, it cold possibly be something with the device itself, but I doubt it.

ultima

Reaction score
having same issue with my D1 & bro's x(although he doesnt use my laptop as much)...it doesnt do it everytime but id say 80% of the time...i do have RSDLite but it was happening LONG b4 i dl'ed it