compromised credit card!!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well that is a good enough answer for me! Thank you for your time and your responses. I will be sure to pass this info off to my sister, so she can watch her spending. Lol

No problemo.

Here to help. I am not 100% sure this is the reason she got hacked, but that's how I think of it and why i never purchase online through a mobile browser.

I'm not saying the stock browser isn't safe, I'm just saying it's not ideal to make purchases through them.

Fair enough. That makes total sense to me. I just wanted to find out what i could, to make it a learning experience. I'm not much for online shopping (shopping period) anyway and have always wondered about the safety factor. Once more, good enough answers for me. Thanks again.

Frankly, I think far too much is being assumed here. For example, I see no reason to assume that the website from which she made the purchase is necessarily safe.

Nor is there any reason to believe that the only use of the credit card is with this particular on-line merchant. Does she, for example, use the credit card to purchase a meal in a restaurant and hand it to a waitperson she's never seen before? Nor is there any reason to believe that her most recent purchase using her phone is the source of the credit card information. How about purchases made from other sites a month or two months ago?

Over the years I've had a problem with unauthorized purchases on three occasions. In one case, an online merchant was to blame, not my method of providing the credit card information. In another case, I was traveling and my cc info was apparently stolen when I used the card with a merchant who copied the information when I gave an employee a card. In the third case, the problem stemmed from an error on the part of the credit card issuer who mistakenly charged my account with a purchase on a completely different card.

In short, there are all sorts of ways that unauthorized charges can occur. To assume that one's most recent activity is the source of the problem is like assuming that because lunch follows breakfast, breakfast causes lunch.

OP
droider4life

droider4life

Reaction score
No problemo.

Here to help. I am not 100% sure this is the reason she got hacked, but that's how I think of it and why i never purchase online through a mobile browser.

I'm not saying the stock browser isn't safe, I'm just saying it's not ideal to make purchases through them.

Fair enough. That makes total sense to me. I just wanted to find out what i could, to make it a learning experience. I'm not much for online shopping (shopping period) anyway and have always wondered about the safety factor. Once more, good enough answers for me. Thanks again.

Frankly, I think far too much is being assumed here. For example, I see no reason to assume that the website from which she made the purchase is necessarily safe.

Nor is there any reason to believe that the only use of the credit card is with this particular on-line merchant. Does she, for example, use the credit card to purchase a meal in a restaurant and hand it to a waitperson she's never seen before? Nor is there any reason to believe that her most recent purchase using her phone is the source of the credit card information. How about purchases made from other sites a month or two months ago?

Over the years I've had a problem with unauthorized purchases on three occasions. In one case, an online merchant was to blame, not my method of providing the credit card information. In another case, I was traveling and my cc info was apparently stolen when I used the card with a merchant who copied the information when I gave an employee a card. In the third case, the problem stemmed from an error on the part of the credit card issuer who mistakenly charged my account with a purchase on a completely different card.

In short, there are all sorts of ways that unauthorized charges can occur. To assume that one's most recent activity is the source of the problem is like assuming that because lunch follows breakfast, breakfast causes lunch.
you bring up some good points.. As for the merchant being blamed, I know alot of people that purchase from this site weekly, my wife included. Im not saying it isnt possible it just seems that in the past the site has been trustworthy.. I understand what your saying about it could have been from past a past purchase at either a restaraunt or something i have actually had that happen myself.. In fact i told her that it could have just been coincidence that the stolen actions showed up after her online purchase with Bountiful baskets.. The stolen actions were like gold purchases from somewhere weird she couldnt remember the exact details the bank told her..

I appreciate your debate jsh1120. This is why i am asking all these questions is because i am unsure of the browser safety.. I am not that techy when it comes to online shopping and stuff of this matter. which is why i am hoping to find out more information.

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score
Personally I do not see how the droid is any less secure than a computer browser. They both use the same standards when it comes to SSL encryption. Either the site is insecure, or someone just jacked your CC information at a restaurant, etc.

Or there is a dishonest employee working for the company...

Last edited:
OP
droider4life

droider4life

Reaction score
Personally I do not see how the droid is any less secure than a computer browser. They both use the same standards when it comes to SSL encryption. Either the site is insecure, or someone just jacked your CC information at a restaurant, etc.

Or there is a dishonest employee working for the company...
So your pretty sure that the browser had absolutely nothing to do with it? and you would use your card on the browser without hesitation? (granted the site was trustworthy and all)

This was actually my first speculation when she told me about it. I dont anything about SSL encryption or anything like that tho.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
honestly this could have been pure coincidence on the timing.
the numbers could have been stolen at any time and just chosen to be used at that point.

iPirate

Reaction score
I don't think this had anything to do with the phone or that site.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Buying on line is perfectly safe so long as you see the https at the start of the browser. That means you are on a direct hook up with the computer on the other line and nobody can hack into that connection.

Tekmazter

Reaction score
i would never purchase through mobile phone for this reason alone.

a home computer is much safer, imo

This is simply not true. SSL is being forced from the site you hit when you do a purchase, not the browser. The Android browser fully supports SSL in this regard. You can make purchases just as you would from a PC and be no less safe. In fact, if you think about malware in the wild right now you're MORE likely to be infected with a rootkit or something of that nature on your PC than your phone.

Ultimately your CC information being stolen comes down to basic things like someone not securing the actual server where they transaction takes place or you not knowing you've got malware on your home PC and it's got a nice keylogger or something else packaging up data and shipping it off to Nigeria every day.