compromised credit card!!

droider4life

Reaction score
So my sister got a Droid 1 last Saturday. Last night she decided to make her first online purchase with her Droid and her credit card(with a company she buys from weekly). She then received a call this morning from her banking asking about her recent purchases. There were multiple charges made that came to over a thousand dollars over night. Needless to say they froze the card, then cancelled it.. my question is "is the browser credit card safe?" Or did someone breach the websites security and intercept her card number. (Like I said she buys online from the company but always from a computer). Thank you for your responses in advance!!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i would never purchase through mobile phone for this reason alone.

a home computer is much safer, imo

OP
droider4life

droider4life

Reaction score
I'm just curious, what's the difference? What makes a home Computer safer?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm just curious, what's the difference? What makes a home Computer safer?

for one thing you can download software that has some card protection.

also the browser itself, such as chrome provide some protection.

however, i've also had my account "hacked" twice. which is why i opened a separate account strictly for online purchases, which i transfer money into when i do decide to make a purchase.

OP
droider4life

droider4life

Reaction score
Ok, that makes sense. So then you would safely say that the browser itself is where her card got compromised, rather than the actual site?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ok, that makes sense. So then you would safely say that the browser itself is where her card got compromised, rather than the actual site?

most likely. what site did she buy from, if you don't mind me asking.

another thing about a browser, is if it requires a card there is usually a little "lock icon" that shows it's protected

OP
droider4life

droider4life

Reaction score
The site was called bountiful baskets (they sell fresh fruits and vegetables.)

And your referring to a "computer browser" correct?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

yes computer browser.

a site like that should have secure browsing and be able to recognize sensitive information being passed. the order/payment.

i could be wrong, but i blame it on the browser. mobile purchases through the browser itself aren't secure enough if you ask me.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
i would never purchase through mobile phone for this reason alone.

a home computer is much safer, imo

how would you download a 5 star app that required to be purchased?

your credit card information is protected by google checkout through that process since it's from the market.

OP
droider4life

droider4life

Reaction score

yes computer browser.

a site like that should have secure browsing and be able to recognize sensitive information being passed. the order/payment.

i could be wrong, but i blame it on the browser. mobile purchases through the browser itself aren't secure enough if you ask me.

Well that is a good enough answer for me! Thank you for your time and your responses. I will be sure to pass this info off to my sister, so she can watch her spending. Lol

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

yes computer browser.

Well that is a good enough answer for me! Thank you for your time and your responses. I will be sure to pass this info off to my sister, so she can watch her spending. Lol

No problemo.

Here to help. I am not 100% sure this is the reason she got hacked, but that's how I think of it and why i never purchase online through a mobile browser.

I'm not saying the stock browser isn't safe, I'm just saying it's not ideal to make purchases through them.

OP
droider4life

droider4life

Reaction score
yes computer browser.

No problemo.

Here to help. I am not 100% sure this is the reason she got hacked, but that's how I think of it and why i never purchase online through a mobile browser.

I'm not saying the stock browser isn't safe, I'm just saying it's not ideal to make purchases through them.

Fair enough. That makes total sense to me. I just wanted to find out what i could, to make it a learning experience. I'm not much for online shopping (shopping period) anyway and have always wondered about the safety factor. Once more, good enough answers for me. Thanks again.