1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

compromised credit card!!

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by droider4life, Aug 4, 2010.

1. droider4life

droider4life New Member

So my sister got a Droid 1 last Saturday. Last night she decided to make her first online purchase with her Droid and her credit card(with a company she buys from weekly). She then received a call this morning from her banking asking about her recent purchases. There were multiple charges made that came to over a thousand dollars over night. Needless to say they froze the card, then cancelled it.. my question is "is the browser credit card safe?" Or did someone breach the websites security and intercept her card number. (Like I said she buys online from the company but always from a computer). Thank you for your responses in advance!!
  2. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

was she using the stock (default motorola) browser or one from the market?
  3. droider4life

droider4life New Member

Stock default browser.
  4. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

i would never purchase through mobile phone for this reason alone.

a home computer is much safer, imo
  5. droider4life

droider4life New Member

I'm just curious, what's the difference? What makes a home Computer safer?
  6. dezymond

for one thing you can download software that has some card protection.

also the browser itself, such as chrome provide some protection.

however, i've also had my account "hacked" twice. which is why i opened a separate account strictly for online purchases, which i transfer money into when i do decide to make a purchase.
  7. droider4life

droider4life New Member

Ok, that makes sense. So then you would safely say that the browser itself is where her card got compromised, rather than the actual site?
  8. dezymond

most likely. what site did she buy from, if you don't mind me asking.

another thing about a browser, is if it requires a card there is usually a little "lock icon" that shows it's protected
  9. droider4life

droider4life New Member

The site was called bountiful baskets (they sell fresh fruits and vegetables.)

And your referring to a "computer browser" correct?
  10. dezymond

yes computer browser.

a site like that should have secure browsing and be able to recognize sensitive information being passed. the order/payment.

i could be wrong, but i blame it on the browser. mobile purchases through the browser itself aren't secure enough if you ask me.
  11. Droooiiid

Droooiiid New Member

how would you download a 5 star app that required to be purchased?
  12. dezymond

your credit card information is protected by google checkout through that process since it's from the market.
  13. droider4life

droider4life New Member

Well that is a good enough answer for me! Thank you for your time and your responses. I will be sure to pass this info off to my sister, so she can watch her spending. Lol
  14. dezymond

No problemo.

Here to help. I am not 100% sure this is the reason she got hacked, but that's how I think of it and why i never purchase online through a mobile browser.

I'm not saying the stock browser isn't safe, I'm just saying it's not ideal to make purchases through them.
  15. droider4life

droider4life New Member

Fair enough. That makes total sense to me. I just wanted to find out what i could, to make it a learning experience. I'm not much for online shopping (shopping period) anyway and have always wondered about the safety factor. Once more, good enough answers for me. Thanks again.
  16. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

Frankly, I think far too much is being assumed here. For example, I see no reason to assume that the website from which she made the purchase is necessarily safe.

Nor is there any reason to believe that the only use of the credit card is with this particular on-line merchant. Does she, for example, use the credit card to purchase a meal in a restaurant and hand it to a waitperson she's never seen before? Nor is there any reason to believe that her most recent purchase using her phone is the source of the credit card information. How about purchases made from other sites a month or two months ago?

Over the years I've had a problem with unauthorized purchases on three occasions. In one case, an online merchant was to blame, not my method of providing the credit card information. In another case, I was traveling and my cc info was apparently stolen when I used the card with a merchant who copied the information when I gave an employee a card. In the third case, the problem stemmed from an error on the part of the credit card issuer who mistakenly charged my account with a purchase on a completely different card.

In short, there are all sorts of ways that unauthorized charges can occur. To assume that one's most recent activity is the source of the problem is like assuming that because lunch follows breakfast, breakfast causes lunch.
  17. droider4life

droider4life New Member

you bring up some good points.. As for the merchant being blamed, I know alot of people that purchase from this site weekly, my wife included. Im not saying it isnt possible it just seems that in the past the site has been trustworthy.. I understand what your saying about it could have been from past a past purchase at either a restaraunt or something i have actually had that happen myself.. In fact i told her that it could have just been coincidence that the stolen actions showed up after her online purchase with Bountiful baskets.. The stolen actions were like gold purchases from somewhere weird she couldnt remember the exact details the bank told her..

I appreciate your debate jsh1120. This is why i am asking all these questions is because i am unsure of the browser safety.. I am not that techy when it comes to online shopping and stuff of this matter. which is why i am hoping to find out more information.
  18. bekyndnunwind

bekyndnunwind New Member

Personally I do not see how the droid is any less secure than a computer browser. They both use the same standards when it comes to SSL encryption. Either the site is insecure, or someone just jacked your CC information at a restaurant, etc.

Or there is a dishonest employee working for the company...
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  19. droider4life

droider4life New Member

So your pretty sure that the browser had absolutely nothing to do with it? and you would use your card on the browser without hesitation? (granted the site was trustworthy and all)

This was actually my first speculation when she told me about it. I dont anything about SSL encryption or anything like that tho.
  20. dmacleo

dmacleo Premium Member Premium Member

honestly this could have been pure coincidence on the timing.
    the numbers could have been stolen at any time and just chosen to be used at that point.
Search tags for this page

credit card stolen after buying from bountiful baskets

purchase on android phone credit card was compromised