Composing new SMS: auto-fill contact?

Zeroid

Reaction score
On my old HTC Mogul when I would compose a new SMS or MMS I would simply start to type in the name of my contact, let's say "Francesca", and would find the contact(s) after 2 or 3 charactor inputs ie. "Fra" would bring her name up and complete the input with her appropriate phone number. It seems that Droid does not do this?

Is there a setting to activate this or is there simply better third party SMS software I should be using?:icon_eek:

blowdryl

Reaction score
That would be nice wouldn't it?
I've found it able to do what you ask if you use the phone number instead of the name, but that means you have to remember people's phone numbers.:icon_evil:

Silver Member
Reaction score
you're missing one very important step; your contact HAS to have an entry in the mobile phone field. how is the phone supposed to know where you want to send a text to? SMS sends to mobile devices by default anyway.

once you have created a mobile phone entry for your contact, you can search for them by typing their name.

see my sig for GMAIL contacts and you.

OP
Z

Zeroid

Reaction score
Found a solution: just downloaded the Handcent SMS app and it does -EXACTLY- what the built-in Droid SMS software does not, as well as a plethora of other options for your SMS needs. Awesome. (rather than going through and adding mobile phone entries in all the contacts :( )

Silver Member
Reaction score
The solution is to setup your contacts correctly.

blowdryl

Reaction score
you're missing one very important step; your contact HAS to have an entry in the mobile phone field. how is the phone supposed to know where you want to send a text to? SMS sends to mobile devices by default anyway.

once you have created a mobile phone entry for your contact, you can search for them by typing their name.

see my sig for GMAIL contacts and you.
ERXCELLENT, thanks for the pro tip!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
640k is right... you have to have a 'mobile' number in the contact info. How would the phone send a text to a 'home' number... it considers any number other than "mobile" as a land line.

Zuch321

Reaction score
640k is right... you have to have a 'mobile' number in the contact info. How would the phone send a text to a 'home' number... it considers any number other than "mobile" as a land line.

Wow this completely solved my issue. I wish I could rep you for the Hartford Whalers logo too.

It is sort of stupid how it defaults to 'home,' as most of the numbers I type are cell phones.