1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Completely disable cellular radio

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gimpyestrada, Dec 28, 2011.

1. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

Completely disable cellular radio [SOLVED]

I'm giving my OG Droid to my kids to play games on and I'd like to completely turn off the cellular radio while keeping wifi enabled to save on battery life.

I know I could just enable airplane mode and then manually turn on wifi every time but it seems like there has to be a better way. Can I remove some apk to make this happen?

For that matter are there any other system apks that can be removed if it is never going to be used as a phone?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator

*#*#4636#*#* (to be entered in the dialer) is the phone testing menu. if you choose the first sub-menu, u can scroll down to turn off the radio.
  3. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

Is that permanent or does it come back on a reboot?
  4. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

It does not appear to be a permanent solution as it comes back on reboot.

Can the radio be disabled permanently?
  5. metalspring

metalspring New Member

is it rooted? (i assume so if you wanna remove system apps) if so then you could use a script run automatically at boot to disable the radio (basically automatic airplane mode)
    1) get script manager ads off the market
    2) make new script with this in it-
    #!/system/bin/sh
    radiooptions 1
    3) save it and have it run as root and at boot

as for all removable system apps i know of-
    vpnservices.apk
    voicedialer.apk
    picotts.apk (touch to talk so leave it if you want that)
    mms.apk (text messaging)
    networklocation.apk
    googlecontactsyncadapter.apk
    contactsprovider.apk
    contacts.apk
    phoneconfig.apk
    phone.apk

btw if you dont wanna use the cell radio i'd suggest the super aplha ics rom for them to play with (browser/youtube/basically any internet using apps are super fast)
    the phone calling feature doesnt work anyway, the only issue you might have is the camera doesnt work either, basically everything else does though except gps but i dont think you can use that in airplane mode anyway
    [ROM][Pre-Pre-ALPHA] Droid A855 ICS Build Attempt - xda-developers
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  6. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

Of course I'm rooted! Thanks I'll give script manager a shot and see what I come up with.

I am wondering if removing some of these apps (like phone.apk) might effectively disable the cellular radio because it kinds of needs the phone app.

I'm afraid I am not a believer in builds not based on FROYO for the OG Droid. I experimented with A LOT of them and was never completely happy with them. Having a buggy implementation is alright for me, but I can't expect my wife or kids to be able to work through ROM issues. I'm leaving them on stock as much as it pains me to do so.
  7. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

I uninstalled everything listed by metalspring using adb. After doing so and rebooting it seems as if the cellular radio may have actually been disabled: The cellular icon in the notification bar shows no bars with an x over them. Without the phone dialer I can't enter the code listed by Abe21599 to see the screen that tells me the status of my cellular radio. I swear that I have blundered into that screen before without entering the code but i can't seem to find it.
  8. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

Update: I installed Elixir 2 and it lists my Telephone as "disconnected" with "data is disabled."

This may be a success.

However after logging into my google account I started getting a bunch of force closes about various google services, it may not have been best to remove the core google apps.

I'm going to reinstall back to stock and see exactly which app did the deed.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  9. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Most likely the sync adapter one

Supercharged tweaked Miui.us
    Primes deprimed kernel @ 1.2GHz w/ customized kickasskernel tweaks and 3g turbocharger
    19.9 linpack score
    1921 quadrant score
    Zoom zoom ;)
  10. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

After going back to stock I used adb to remove Phone.apk and it _looks_ like my cellular radio is disabled. Not 100% sure how to verify that it is, though.
  11. metalspring

metalspring New Member

If you're still rooted then try this in terminal emulator as su(or adb works too)
    logcat -b radio

Or you might wanna try this to make it easier to read
    logcat -b radio > /mnt/sdcard/radiostate.txt

Primes deprimed kernel @ 1.2GHz w/ customized kickasskernel tweaks and 3g turbocharger
    19.9 linpack score
    1921 quadrant score
    Zoom zoom ;)
  12. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

Ok, that's a lot of stuff that I don't know what it means. What am I looking for?

View attachment 45333
  13. metalspring

metalspring New Member

Looks like the radio is still on...(ril and rild are the main parts of the radio and they are working unless they are throwing out obvious errors which they aren't there)

Ideally you could flash a "blank" baseband but 1, I have no idea what the ill consequences might be and 2, I don't know of any update.zip with a "blank" baseband

However, your main concern is saving battery, right? Well just leave it as-is for awhile then look at the battery stats to see if the cell radio is really using much (if any) battery...I'd suggest the spare parts app or spare parts+ (for gingerbread roms)

19.9 linpack score
    1921 quadrant score
    Zoom zoom ;)
  14. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

Good idea, I know that putting it into airplane mode and then turning on wifi keeps a charge for a very long time, so if the radio is really not doing anything it should provide similar results. I'll charge it up and report back when it has drained.
  15. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

I am happy to report that after restoring to stock Cyanogenmod 7.1, then removing the Phone.apk, then resetting the battery stats, I have gone through three charge/discharge cycles and I am happy to report that the only things listed in my battery stats are:
    Android OS: 30%
    Wi-Fi: 30%
    Phone idle: 29%
    Display: 12%

The cellular radio is not listed anymore so it would seem as though I have successfully disabled it.

This old battery is giving me 17h48m and its at 10% remaining!

Thanks for everyones suggestions.
  16. meishkov

meishkov New Member

that 30% Android OS usage seems a little high. Probably depends on what kernel and setup your using I suppose. I know when I updated my ROM and I got lazy and didn't want to backup/restore apps, I just wiped cache and dalvikcache and left /data and /system intact, my OS usage was at like 68% for a little while then after flashing a new kernel and applying a couple build.prop mods, after about a week it settled back into like the 3%-5% range. Which is why I'm wondering how yours is still so high. I think instead of trying to find a blank baseband or something you should just try erasing some phone related .apks in /system then there's no possible way to use the phone function. But yea you still don't want it searching for a cell signal then, some way to put it into airplane mode and then erase the phone and radio related system files.
  17. gimpyestrada

gimpyestrada New Member

I wiped everything before installing CM7.1. This was a clean install with the default kernel.
  18. jjinks

jjinks New Member

This works PERFECT and is easily reset to turn radio back on in a few seconds.

Phone test code: *#*#4636#*#*

Just dial > Phone Information > (Scroll Down) Turn off radio

It takes about 5 seconds to turn on and off.
    Keeps your wifi on and saves battery.

Thanks to the original original poster!
  19. tiderfish

tiderfish New Member

Thanks to the OPs for this thread.

Just be warned. Disabling the phone will keep it from dialing 911. I have not tried it on a non activated phone, but I am told any phone with signal can dial 911.

Matt|ttaM
  20. AECRADIO

AECRADIO Member

To access the permanent features, you dial ##7764726(program) then tap DIAL, this leads you to the SPC menu, type six zeroes and then verify.
    You now see a list of options to select, pick User Activation, and DELETE the MIN, MDN and CDMA system ID, tap DONE.
    Then select Extended NAM.
    Delete the MIN here, and the MDN, as well as the CDMA system ID, Country Code, CDMA network, 1st Channel A, 2nd Channel A, then 2nd Channel B, ALL the emergency numbers, and for the final act, change the SPC to a known number, anything but what it shows., once finished, tap DONE, the phone will reboot, and your radio will now be deactivated and IMPOSSIBLE to access any cell tower!
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
Search tags for this page

android disable cell radio

android disable cellular radio
android disable phone radio

android disable radio

android turn off cell radio

android turn off cellular radio
cell radio android

disable cell radio android

disable radio android
how to disable cell radio android