Completely (and permanently) disable cell radio?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by Gunslinger, May 20, 2011.

1. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    [SOLVED] Completely (and permanently) disable cell radio?

Does anyone have a method to completely turn off the cell radio, while leaving Wifi and Bluetooth intact?

To trim expenses, I've just switched my phone service to a "dumb" phone, and intend to keep using my OG Droid (SS 5.2) as a Wifi only device. Airplane mode disables Bluetooth, which doesn't work for my needs. I can use the Phone Info app to turn off the cell radio, but it doesn't stick after a reboot. I saw an XDA post mention renaming /system/app/phone.apk and /system/app telephonyprovider.apk, so I tried it. The phone went into a constant FC loop of the phone app, and pulling the battery didn't help, so I had to restore a backup.

Is there a better/easier/permanent way to do this?

Thanks! dancedroid

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. redoregon

redoregon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok folks, let's not let him hang... I remember a hidden menu accessible through ##REMOTE## or something like that which held a bunch of service parameters.... I remember warnings that if you changed them it would wipe out your service. Sounds like just what the Gunslinger's looking for. Ring any bells?

3. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Phone Info app brings up the menu normally accessed by dialing *#*#4636#*#* - is this what you meant? If so, then the only problem there is it doesn't stick after a reboot...it's not difficult to turn off the radio from there, but it's one more thing I have to remember to do :tongue: A permanent solution would be great...

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. redoregon

redoregon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, there's an old old one that you get to by hitting ##program then entering 000000 when it asks for a password. Been digging through threads... haven't found specifically which entry it was, but I'm pretty sure there's a few entries in there that have to do with your service, dork one of them and you're hosed. But you *want* to be hosed, so that might be what you're looking for.

I'd just write down any current codes before you change them.... I would look them up myself but I can't get to my phone easily from where I am.

5. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Neat, another hidden menu I didn't know about :) Now, to find out how to use all the cryptic options there....

Until today, I had no idea how hard it was to search for something like "##PROGRAM." Apparently every search engine on the planet removes certain symbols from the search string, even if you encase it in quotes :blink:

6. redoregon

redoregon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup. You can thank cross-site scripting and the like for that.

7. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ugh. So I can't find any serious explanations of what all the menu options are in the ##PROGRAM menu. Just about the only thing I can locate is the "voice quality hack". No one seems to know exactly what they all do. So...back to my original question...does anyone have an easy/better/permanent way of disabling the cell radio while leaving Bluetooth, Wifi, and GPS alone?

Thanks for trying, red :icon_ banana:

8. redoregon

redoregon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try wiping out all the "user" fields? Bet you wouldn't have any service with those blank!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

9. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    *crosses fingers, makes a backup*

10. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bah, no luck. I did get prompted for activation after a reboot, but I bypassed it. Even still, the signal bars show strength, so the radio's on. Back to the drawing board...

dancedroid

11. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, this is on 5.3, but I wouldn't think it would make a difference - I simply renamed /system/app/Phone.apk to /system/app/Phone.apk.bak - and boom, no cell, but wifi was working. BT turned on but no way to test ... no fc's either

12. TwoBuells

TwoBuells Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why turn off the cell radio?
    I have a Droid 2 Global as my only activated phone. My Droid running SS5.2 is not activated but I use it to access email/internet via wifi. The main function I use it for is a mp3/podcast player and use Bluetooth to a speaker and listen to the Stern Show that I record daily. The phone does everything but phone, texts and GPS. Battery lasts forever also.

13. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Chevy to the rescue! After rebooting, all is well and I've got a red X. Earlier it must have been renaming TelephonyProvider.apk at the same time as Phone.apk that caused the FC loops.

And I wanted to turn only the radio off because 1) I need BT, Wifi, and GPS, and 2) I don't want to forget to turn off the radio in Phone Info and eat up my battery unexpectedly. As a side benefit, I can let my gf's daughter play with the Droid and not worry about 911 calls :)

Big thanks!

14. Eliteoomph

Eliteoomph New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am traveling the New Zealand next week and want to disable the radio/data as well and only use wifi. I have a thunderbolt. Would turning off the radio in the *#*#4636#*#* menu do this? Just want to be 100% sure.... I do NOT want to pay over 20 bux per MB...

15. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    This is good to know for the future... because when I eventually upgrade my phone, it would be nice to turn the D1 into a media player/wifi device (and get rid of all phone/dialer related apps). Naturally, disabling the phone functionality altogether is the logical first step.

Search tags for this page

android disable cell radio

android hidden menu turn off radio
disable cell radio android
disable cell radio android tablet
how to permanently disable cellular radio
how to turn off cell radio on android
how to turn off cell radio on galaxy s3
permanently disable cell radio
turn off cell radio
turn off cell radio android