Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (BB 2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc)

*** Introduction/Instructions/Table of Contents ***

This guide is based on the installation of Bugless Beast. I based it on Bugless Beast for two reasons:

1) This is the ROM that I have used and it has served me well, so I am intimately familiar with it and therefore able to answer questions better.
    2) It's easier to say the name of ONE ROM as opposed to all of the options out there every single time I say a name of one.

As you will read right now and at several points in the thread, this particular ROM is the one I use and is JUST AN EXAMPLE. So any time you see the words Bugless Beast, if you are trying to install a DIFFERENT ROM (such as Ultimate Droid, Smoked Glass, Simply Stunning, etc) just replace the download links with files from that particularly developer. Steps 36 & 90 are really the only steps you will need to download a different file. All the other files are the same. If you need help deciding on what ROM to use, either ask in this thread, post in the Droid Hacks section, or visit one of the following developer's sections:

Bugless Beast
    Smoked Glass
    Ultimate Droid
    Simply Stunning

Notice that I left out DroidMod because I personally do not advocate downloading a program that does everything for you because while it is easy at first, if you run into any issues you have no clue WTF is going on.

In this guide I will attempt to educate (for those people not familiar with rooting/hacking/installing ROMs) and get you to where you want to be all at once. This guide is a fluid document so any and all comments are appreciated. You can always hold in your control button and scroll your mouse wheel up to make the text bigger if need be. You can follow the guide as such:

-
    Comments in Red are warnings or very important information.
    - Comments in Purple are education
    - Comments in Blue denote the start of a new section

In this guide we will be covering the following topics in order (you can click on a particular topic to jump to that section):

1. Introduction/Instructions
    2. Rooting your Droid.
    3. Flashing and installing SPRecovery.
    4. Backing up your Droid using Nandroid.
    5. Backing up your applications and installing Bugless Beast (or some other ROM) via Nandroid Backup (clean install).
    6. Installing a different kernel and overclocking (optional)
    7. Monitoring Temps. (optional)
    8. Installing WiFi tethering. (optional)
    9. Patching the smoked theme if so desired. (optional)
    10. Installing a custom Boot Animation (optional)
    11. Installing a custom Metamorph theme (optional)
    12. Installing custom icons (optional)
    13. Free up space, get rid of unwanted apps (optional)
    14. Improving call quality (optional)
    15. Improving battery life (optional)
    16. Upgrading from one version of Bugless Beast 2.1 (or other ROM) to another
    17. Restoring your apps (optional)

*** Important Notes - PLEASE READ - VERY IMPORTANT!!! ***

- This guide primarily talks about Bugless Beast. However, you can still follow these instructions with a different ROM. It's very simple. As in step 36 where it tells you to download the Nandroid from Bugless Beast, or in the second to last section where it says to download the update.zip from Bugless Beast...just substitute those files with Nandroid/update.zip from a different ROM (Ultimate Droid, Smoked Glass, Simply Stunning, etc)

- If you don't want to lose your place in a thread, right click and open link in new tab/window instead of just left clicking
    - If you are coming from a 2.0.1 version of Bugless Beast, you MUST wipe your data, you CANNOT use the update.zip method.
    - If you are coming from a previous version of 2.1 Bugless Beast you can use the update.zip method as you have in the past for 2.0.1 Bugless Beast builds
    - If you want to install a ROM other than Bugless Beast, or if you are coming from a ROM other than Bugless Beast, I highly suggest wiping your data before you do so to eliminate any problems
    - If you do use the update.zip method and have issues, try wiping your data and reinstalling rather than using the update.zip method
    - If you ever need to get back to stock COMPLETELY, go here.
    - Any step that has a screen shot available, then the instructions for that step will be followed by a <Screenshot> link. Click that link to see a screen shot of that particular step. If you have screen shots that you'd like me to use in my guide, PM me a link to the image you want me to use.
    - If you go to download any of the files and get a bunch of BS characters, just simply right click, save as. Don't just click.
    - PLEASE DO NOT PM ME WITH YOUR PROBLEMS. Post in the thread. PM'ing me is not going to get your questions resolved faster, just clutter up my inbox...and if you post in the thread, other people will be able to see how we solved your problem.
    - If you have any problems, PLEASE refer to the exact step where you began having problems and EXACTLY what you have done so we can help you.
    - If you like this guide, please follow me on Twitter @Dr0idDoes or my blog: Droid Daily Updates. I am trying to increase traffic to my site and Twitter following so if you want to share links or anything, please let me know.
    - If you like the ROM you are using, please donate to the developer. If you can't find their donate link post in the thread and we will steer you in the right direction.
    - This guide is set up slightly different from my previous guide, so consequently I NEED your feedback to improve this fluid document
    - IMPORTANT: Read this thread before you attempt to continue. Please do NOT attempt to continue without knowing and understanding this thread!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2010
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    First thing we will do, is root the Droid.

If you are coming from Sholes ROM, or if you are having problems right now as it stands (locking, rebooting, etc), I would HIGHLY suggest wiping your phone completely to stock before you begin so it's easier to tell where your problems are coming from. If you have no idea what I'm talking about or you aren't having problems just go on.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS WITH A LOW BATTERY. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD CHARGE.

1. Download the file update.zip from here, or if that link doesn't work, from here.
    This file should be ABOUT 10.6MB, if it's something super small like 240kb you need to redownload the file. Make sure the file is named update.zip by right clicking the file in Windows Explorer, and choosing properties. The top empty box it will say update.zip. If it says update.zip.zip you will not be able to root your Droid - it will say "file not found" or something to that effect. This update.zip is for rooting your Droid. So make sure you use THIS particular link in this step for the first update.zip (you will see later that the actual ROM is also called update.zip as well) or it won't work. Very important.

2. Plug your phone into the computer using the USB cable. From the notification menu at the top of the phone, slide that down and click the "USB Connected" button. Choose "Mount." Copy 'update.zip' from your computer to the root of your phone's sdcard. The root of your sdcard means the base, like C:\. If you are unsure of what root means, PLEASE go back to the "Please read before you try to root" thread that I linked above. This is VERY important!!! Disconnect the phone from the computer.

3. Turn off phone.

4. While the phone is off, slide open the keyboard.

5. Hold down 'x' and then begin to hold down the power button at the same time. When the screen lights up, you can let go of the buttons. You will now be booted to a screen with an exclamation point in the middle.. Sort of like this /!\. This is the STOCK recovery menu.

6. Press the 'volume +' and 'camera' buttons together until you see the screen change to a menu.

7. Choose the option to 'run update.zip.' Wait for finish... This update gives you super user or 'root' access to the phones internal drive and filesystem. If you stopped here, you would simply have a 'rooted' phone.

8. Reboot phone. When it boots back up, check to see if you have a ninja icon that says "Superuser Permissions" in your app drawer. If you do not have this, DO NOT CONTINUE UNTIL YOU HAVE THIS ICON, it will be pointless to continue if you don't have this.Superuser Permissions is sort of like having Administrator access on your home computer. Without it, there are many things you can't do.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Next thing we will do is flash the phone and install SPRecovery.

NOTE: Make sure you have sync on, and make sure you have your contacts synced with GMail before you continue. That way when you're done your contacts will automatically redownload.

9. Go to Android Market and install 'Android Terminal Emulator.' It's free. Not Terminal Emulator, not Better Terminal Emulator. Android Terminal Emulator. It's by Jack Palevich. The program will show up as simply "Terminal Emulator" once you install it.

10. Download the file flash_image from here.
    If you go to download the file and get a bunch of BS characters, just simply right click, save as. Don't just click!This file should NOT have a file extension!!! Make sure it does not have a file extension of ANY TYPE!!! If you or your computer have added a file extension (some users have reported that their computer added a .txt at the end of the file and if you have hide file extensions for known types turned on you won't even see it) it will not work! If you go to download this file and Vista puts a .txt extension on it, simply remove the file extension. Again, you can double check to see what, if any, file extension it has by right clicking the file and choosing properties. Right click the file and choose properties and make sure it looks EXACTLY like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

On a Mac:

[​IMG]

If you want to turn off that feature so that in the future it is easier to see, simply open up Windows Explorer, click Organize in the upper left menu bar, Folder and Search Options, View, Uncheck "Hide Extensions For Known File Types". Then simply delete the extension and Windows will warn you that if you do that, the file might not work. **** Windows, just delete it.

11. Copy 'flash_image' from your computer to the root of your sdcard. Again, if you don't know what the root of your SD card is, please go back to the beginning of this thread.

12. Download the newest version of SPRecovery from Sholes.info here, and copy it to the root of your SD card. Disconnect the phone from the USB cable.

13. Open 'Android Terminal Emulator.' (In the launcher, you will see it is simply called 'Terminal Emulator'.) You will now see a blue screen with command prompt. For those of you only familiar with Windows-based machines, this is very similar to a command or DOS prompt, where you have to manually type in commands instead of clicking on a pretty icon to do all your dirty work.

14. Slide open the keyboard and type 'su' then press 'enter'. You will be prompted to press 'Allow'. Press 'Allow' (and don't forget to check the remember check box). This grants you Superuser Permissions while in Terminal Emulator, or the equivalent as right click > run as administrator in Windows.Your command prompt should change from $ to # to let you know it worked. If it didn't, stop right now because something did not install properly.

15. Type 'mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system' without the quotes. This will make the phone's internal drive writable so that we can copy files to it from the sdcard in the next step. For everything you type in Terminal Emulator you need to make sure you copy EVERYTHING exactly as you see it. Also, remember to hit ENTER at the end of each line. Enter is located RIGHT BELOW the delete key, it is NOT the gold button in the center of the directional pad. It should also be noted that the 'o' is a lower case "oh" NOT a zero. Don't forget the space between 'mtdblock4' and '/system' or you will get an error!!!

16. Type 'dd if=/sdcard/flash_image of=/system/bin/flash_image' without the quotes. It will tell you how many bytes in/out. This copies the flash_image utility to the phones internal drive where we need it. That is all one line...

17. Type 'chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image'. This changes the permissions of flash_image so that we can use it.

18. Type 'sync'.

19. Type '/system/bin/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img'. It should be noted that this command is all on one line, not two separate commands. There should be a short pause as the custom recovery image is flashed and then the command prompt will appear again. At this point, the stock recovery screen has now been replaced by the one you will see in steps later on. This recovery image was written by SirPsycoS and is shared by him at sholes.info.

20. Type 'mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.old'. This should prevent the custom recovery from being over-written on reboot. If this step doesn't work for you, skip it. I've haven't witnessed the problem that it is supposed to prevent. bernal125 skipped it without issue. For others, this step has worked without issue.

21. Type 'sync'.

22. Close 'Android Terminal Emulator.' Go the Market and hit menu > Downloads and update EVERY app that you have installed, ESPECIALLY Google Maps. By doing this, you ensure that you have all your programs updated before you make a backup. Additionally, I use MyBackupPro in ADDITION to using the backup method in the following steps. It's a paid app, but it also backs up system settings, etc.

23. Download virginoem-backup.zip . Going back on your computer, extract 'virginoem-backup.zip' so that have you have folder called 'virginoem-backup' with the contents resembling 'boot.img' 'cach.tar' 'data.tar' etc... this is a backup that will get you back to stock (stock as in, you just bought the phone, not as in where you are now) in the event that you need to.

24. Create a folder on the root of your sdcard called 'nandroid'. This folder stores all of your backups that you make so you can choose from them and restore using the recovery screen at a later date.

25. Copy the folder 'virginoem-backup' from your computer to the 'nandroid' folder you just created on your sdcard in step 24. Unplug the USB.

26. Power off the phone.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2010
  4. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Now we will backup your phone's current state in the event that something goes wrong with the installation.

27. Hold 'x' and power button to boot into recovery as in step 5 above. You won't get the exclamation point this time. Rather you will be booted right into the recovery.

28. READ THE RED COLORED TEXT SO THAT YOU KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE THE MENU.

29. Choose 'backup/restore'.

30. Choose 'Advanced Nandroid backup'.

31. Choose 'Set backup name'.

32. Type a descriptive name for your backup and press enter.
    For example, I always make mine something like: BuglessBeastOne, BuglessBeastTwo, etc.

33. Choose 'Perform backup'. The chances of you screwing something up without specifically trying to are pretty slim, but we are going to do this just to be sure. An image of your phone's current state will now be made. It will take a couple minutes. With this backup you can always revert back if you don't like the ROM. Keep in mind if you revert back to this image, you will still be rooted with sprecovery. Also keep in mind that you can redo steps 29-33 to do a complete back up of your phone ANY TIME you want.

Now you are rooted with SPRecovery, you are backed up with Nandroid, and you are almost ready to install Bugless Beast. The purpose of this recovery image to EASILY flash back to what you had before installing from steps 34 and on. We are going to WIPE ALL DATA before we actually install the ROM so this backup is just to have something to revert back to...reboot the phone by hitting the power button one press at a time until you are back to the main recovery menu, then hit reboot system. When it loads into the operating system go ahead and plug in your USB and mount your SD card.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The moment you've been waiting for...Installing Bugless Beast (or some other ROM)...

The latest version of Bugless Beast is v0.9 dated 18 March 2010. The original thread can be located here. The changelog is located here.

It should be noted that while I say Bugless Beast, you can feel free to substitute ANY Nandroid backup from ANY ROM in it's place. Where it tells you to download the Nandroid backup in Step 36 just download a different one (Ultimate Droid, Smoked Glass, Simply Stunning, etc etc etc).

34. We need to back up all of our apps and whatnot before we continue because we have to wipe data and system before we actually install this ROM, so please read this step carefully. My suggestion to you is to use Titanium Backup from the Market (free) and pay the $4.00 donation and get your upgrade key because it makes the whole process quicker. You have to manually send him 3.99 or more via PayPal then he sends you a key. Basically you just take the text file he sends you and put it on the root of the SD card and you are good to go.

You can also back up using SPR and just restore ONLY the /data part but we are going to do the Titanium Backup way in this guide. Whether you have the free or paid version you will open up Titanium Backup. If it gives you an error about BusyBox, DO NOT CONTINUE. Click the problems button and download BusyBox. Make sure it says success or this whole thing won't work. Sometimes it fails several times before working (in my experience) so be patient.

Once you get BusyBox installed Click the Backup/Restore tab, hit the Menu>Batch option. You will have a ton of options really. The two main options we are concerned about are "Backup all user apps + system data" and "Backup all user apps (running apps will be auto-ended)". Personally, when switching to a new version ROM, I prefer to ONLY backup my applications, and not my system settings etc. There tend to be too many chances for conflict if you backup both. The apps should be about half the apps+system. Do whichever you want, but like I said, I usually just do the apps. In the future once this ROM is installed and I am only doing update.zip methods and whatnot, I would feel more comfortable backing up everything.

Click RUN and it will take you to a screen that allows you to individually select or deselect all your apps that will be backed up. By default they are all checked. Click "Run the Batch Operation" and let it work it's magic.

If you want to backup your bookmarks in the stock browser, go back to the Backup/Restore tab and find [BOOKMARKS] Browser 2.0.1, click, and choose create backup.

35. This is where things start to get completely different.
    In the past we have used the update.zip method to install things. For your first time installing a 2.1 ROM we are going to use the Nandroid Backup method. Plug your phone into your computer and mount your phone as you did before. Browse the phone's SD card and find the folder called 'nandroid'. In this folder you should have at least one sub-folder from where you backed up in the earlier steps with SPR. Create a new sub-folder within the 'nandroid' folder...I called mine "BuglessBeast2.1".

36. Download Bugless Beast 2.1 Nandroid Backup from here. If you are trying to upgrade from a 2.1 version of the ROM, head to step 90. EXTRACT THE CONTENTS of the rar file with WinRAR or similar program into the folder you just created. Your folder should be something like /sdcard/nandroid/BuglessBeast2.1 with four files in it: system.tar (about 90MB), data.tar (about 40MB), nandroid.md5 (less than 1KB), and boot.img (about 3.7MB). What we just did here was take Pete's personal Nandroid backup that he made and made available for us to use. Think about it like this: if we backed up like we did previously using SPR and then loaned that backup to someone else to put on their SD card.

37. Power off the phone.

38. Reboot into SPRecovery by powering on the phone and holding in the X key on the hardware keyboard, just like you did before.

39. Choose wipe data/factory reset and let it do it's thing. Then do the same for wipe cache partition. Here we are wiping all the crap on your phone to make it a clean install.

40. Choose backup/restore.

41. Choose Advanced Nandroid Restore and once inside that menu click "Choose Backup." Pick the backup that you JUST made (not the first one we did, the one that you just manually added to the SD card...in my case, BuglessBeast2.1).

42. Choose Perform Restore (see below for typical Nandroid errors). Technically even though it seems like we are installing, we are actually using Pete's Bugless Beast BACKUP to RESTORE onto our phone.

43. Hit the power button twice, and then choose reboot.

44. One thing I do if I have any issues at first is a) wait a few minutes to let it start up for the first time, and b) dial *228 and choose option 2 to have the phone reset roaming capabilities.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to overclock your phone, continue...otherwise skip this section

45. If you want to overclock you need to download one of these kernels and rename it to update.zip.

OPTIONAL Kernels: (rename to update.zip and install using instructions below)
    -ChevyNo1
    -AdamZ

46. Mount your phone to the PC as you have done several times now. Rename or delete any update.zip files currently on the SD card. Move the NEW update.zip that you just downloaded to the root of your SD card.

47. Reboot the phone in recovery mode (you should be a pro at this by now).

48. Choose install.

49. Choose allow update.zip installation.
    Don't forget this step. If you do, you will get "installation blocked" or something to that effect. This is the feature that prevent OTA updates from being able to be installed to your phone. In the future, if you want to accept a Google update for you phone you will need to download the file, then boot into this menu, and hit "allow update.zip installation" or it won't work.

50. Choose Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated). Deprecated is a software developer's term that means "something that should not be used or is dangerous to use and recommended against". Obviously we want to use this update.zip, so in this case, think of the term deprecated as a warning...as in "Are you sure you want to overwrite your current OS?" It's perfectly safe to complete this step, but many people do not know what this word means.

51. Reboot the phone.

52. Download SetCPU from the Market. When this app asks you if you want to allow or deny just hit allow and check the box to remember that choice.

53. When it asks what device you are using, do NOT choose Droid, choose "auto detect" at the top. If for some reason you are STILL having issues, try unchecking all of the profiles and rechecking them, as well as moving the slider bar on the main SetCPU screen.

54. You can now overclock your droid to at least 1200mHz (1.2gHz) at all times (depending what kernel you use), or you can set certain conditions by going to profiles > enable profiles and then setting the conditions and checkmarks for the various profiles you want to use. To see information on my CPU/battery temps test results, click here. If you are still having issues, go here: Please read this before you ask about SetCPU! .

7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Next we are going to show you how to monitor temps while overclocking. If you don't care about this, skip this section

55. The software you need is called Temp Monitor, and it costs $1.99 on the Market. It's pretty simple to set up, so we didn't necessarily need a whole section for it...but what the heck, people ask constantly about it...so there you go.
    There are two temp sensors, one on the battery and one on the CPU. You have to enable the one on the CPU in the settings to see the actual CPU temps. Personally, I use this program for about 5 minutes to make sure everything is ok, then I uninstall because it takes up battery, memory, and therefore potentially contributes to the heat itself.

8. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to WiFi tether, keep going, otherwise skip this section

All new kernels/ROMs should have WiFi tether, but if they don't you will need to download the apk file from here and install it using steps 56 or 57.

You can either download Astro File Manager (free, not a bad program) from the market....

57. ...or Root Explorer (paid app, much much much better and something we will be using later on the guide).

58. Make sure under settings > applications you have "use unsigned applications" or whatever it says. Top box. It will give you a warning but just ignore it.

59. Navigate to the file you just downloaded and click it. Do not explore the file in Astro, but choose open and install. In Root Explorer just choose install.

60. My settings for WiFi tether are...uncheck use Bluetooth, check Enable WiFi Encryption, set up a passphrase (make sure it is 13 characters), change the SSID or leave it default (I left it default), Change channel to 07, power mode active, enable access control unchecked (my preference), change LAN first option, everything else left it the way it was.

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you don't like the look of the ugly stock theme...keep going, otherwise, skip this section

Go here and download yet another update.zip.

62. Follow steps 46 to 50. This file will give you the Smoked Glass theme by AdamZ instead of the OEM that comes with BB.

10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to install a custom Boot Animation...keep going, otherwise, skip this section

Download Root Explorer from the Market.

64. Download the Boot Animation that you want to replace the OEM red eye Droid animation.

65. Make sure it is named "bootanimation.zip" without the quotes and mount your phone and put the zip on your SD card.

66. Open up Root Explorer. Navigate to your SD card where the file is, and long press > move.

67. Navigate to data/local folder (not on your SD card, on your actual phone). You should have a "..." and a "tmp" folder. Paste/move the file to this location. Reboot.

11. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to patch a Metamorph Theme...keep going, otherwise, skip this section (credit to Johnny Kansas for this)

68. Download Metamorph from the Market. Download a theme. Should be in .zip format. Put that zip in the "AndroidThemes" folder that Metamorph created.

69. Open Metamorph and select "pick theme"

70. Select the zip file of the theme you want to apply. It will then extract the files.

71. To apply it, click "existing theme"

72. Select the theme you're trying to apply, and then find the proper file. The file with the Metamorph logo (green M) is the file you need to select.

73. After selecting that file, it will show you what individual components you can apply the theme to "gmail, calendar, etc."

74. You can select one at a time to apply, or you can select apply all to put the entire theme on.

NOTE:
    framework-res will change things like status bar and etc. It's the only part that requires a reboot, but metamorph will detect if you install it and ask you if you want to reboot. Make sure the theme you want to install is compatible with the rom you're using...Otherwise not everything (If anything) will be themed...AND other issues may arise.

ALSO, if you get a Busy Box error:

Copy and paste the busybox file in to the /system/bin folder then it should work fine.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to install custom icons...keep going, otherwise, skip this section

If you're looking for some icons, I made some here.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    Carbon - Carbon/Gold - Blue - Black - Black/Gold - Red - Orange - Pink - Gold - Smoked

75. Custom icons are easy to install and use. Simply get your icons and extract them all into a folder called 'icons' on your SD card.

76. Download the app BetterCut from the Market for about 3 bucks.

77. Arrange your desktop the way you want.

78. Open BetterCut and choose "Edit Shortcut."

79. Find the shortcut already located on your desktop. From here you can change the name of the shortcut or change the icon. If you change the icon, just choose "Pick Picture" NOT "Icon Pack" to use the ones you just put on your SD card. I use some of my own that I made.

13. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to free up some space/remove unwanted programs...keep going, otherwise, skip this section

Keep in mind this part can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. I highly suggest doing a backup (steps 27-33) before continuing. Use this to get rid of things like Corporate Calendar. I have had issues trying to remove alarm clock and email, so I would avoid those. You can also use this to remove LiveWallpapers.apk if you don't want live wallpapers (like me).

80. Open up Root Explorer (download from the Market if you haven't already).

81. Create a folder on your SD card called APK or Backup.

82. Navigate to /system/app on your phone (not SD card)

83. Choose Mount R/W in the upper right hand corner. This gives you read/write access to these files.

84. Choose Menu>Multiselect and select the files you want to move/delete.

85. Once you are done selecting, choose "move" from the bottom buttons.

86. Navigate to the folder you created above, and hit the paste.

14. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to try to improve call quality...keep going, otherwise, skip to this section

Keep in mind these changes can be reversed and not everyone has the same outcome (sometimes changing these settings actually makes call quality WORSE, not better)

87. Go to menu > settings > call settings and turn off voice privacy. Quite often this causes an echo for someone else on the other line. <Screenshot>

88. This next tip might not always work, depending where you live...so if your call quality gets worse after trying just change it back...go to the dialer and on the standard phone screen type ##PROGRAM and enter 000000 when it askd for the password. Then choose VOCODE. the default is EVRC. Try changing this to ERVC-B. This is a newer call standard that isn't completely in effect yet....also you can try 13k which is the oldest of the standards. Let me know how it works.
    <Screenshot> <Screenshot 2>

15. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to try to improve battery life...keep going, otherwise, skip to this section

89. The easiest way to show you how to do this is read my blog post here. I know it seems silly to have an entire section with just one step, but I think reading this might really help some people out. Very important to know how to improve battery life when you are pushing your phone to 1.2GHz+

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
error scanning partitions
error scanning partitions android
how to mod a droid

how to mod droid

how to mod phone
how to mod ur phone
how to mod with phone

how to mod your phone