Complete BS. Non-answer from B&N

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
I don't use e-books, at least not yet. I like to hold the physical book in my hand, but I can see how an e-reader could be useful. In fact one of the high schools around here is thinking about using an e-reader for the text books for certain classes. The aim is to reduce the load in a student's back pack...which in it's own way, makes some sense.

I actually bought an early Kindle. I am not a huge fan of it. But I do like to read on my phone. It is very convenient to read 5-10 minutes at a time. The Nook and Kindle are just too big.

DebDroid

Reaction score
I have a nook and I love it. Sure, it has some issues (dictionary highlights more than one word and does not recognize it, it can be a little slow etc) but you can add more memory, change the battery....sound familiar? Lol We had an OTA update not too long ago and the nook boards were like this one except everyone was threatening to get a kindle instead. Lol

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
I have a nook and I love it. Sure, it has some issues (dictionary highlights more than one word and does not recognize it, it can be a little slow etc) but you can add more memory, change the battery....sound familiar? Lol We had an OTA update not too long ago and the nook boards were like this one except everyone was threatening to get a kindle instead. Lol

LOL!

For some reason the Nook reminds me of an Apple product and the Kindle reminds me of the Android. It may be because B&N is trying to tie the Nook into the store experience so much.

deputc26

Reaction score
It would have been more honest and informative if they just said "we're not going to tell you"

jimnutt

Reaction score
Epub DRM is is fairly easy to crack (for personal use only!) as is the mobipocket DRM used by amazon. There are a couple of scripts out there that can retrieve your DRM key for adobe digital editions and use it to remove the DRM from ebooks (do a google search for "I love cabbages", the first results will be the site you want). Having said that, Amazon offers better pricing for their ebooks so that's where I tend to buy, IF and ONLY IF I can't find the same book at Baen or Fictionwise DRM free. I buy a lot of ebooks (over 550 so far) and only buy the DRM'ed versions when there's no other alternative.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
Epub DRM is is fairly easy to crack (for personal use only!) as is the mobipocket DRM used by amazon. There are a couple of scripts out there that can retrieve your DRM key for adobe digital editions and use it to remove the DRM from ebooks (do a google search for "I love cabbages", the first results will be the site you want). Having said that, Amazon offers better pricing for their ebooks so that's where I tend to buy, IF and ONLY IF I can't find the same book at Baen or Fictionwise DRM free. I buy a lot of ebooks (over 550 so far) and only buy the DRM'ed versions when there's no other alternative.

Thanks for the ideas. I have the current Kindle scripts but I had not seen the B&N options yet.