Complete BS. Non-answer from B&N

ldimick

Reaction score
I read a LOT of ebooks. So I sent this to Barnes & Noble.

I have a Motorola Droid phone. Do you have any idea when an application will be available for my phone?

Their answer is:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, at this time the Barnes & Noble eReader supports downloads to your nook, PC, iPhone, MAC and Blackberry. Please check our website often as we are continuing to expand our download capabilities to other devices.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

Janet
Customer Service Representative
Barnes and Noble
Barnes & Noble - Books, Textbooks, Used Books, DVDs, Music, Toys, Home & Gift

This is complete nonsense! The Nook runs on Android! I guess Amazon.com will get ALL of my ebook business. It is very easy to remove the DRM from my purchases from them and read my ebooks with Aldiko.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
Seems like a pretty straight forward reply to me. They just said they don't support that device, but to check back as they are adding new devices frequently.
I'm not sure what the issue is? Not trying to pick a fight with you but i feel they answered your question.
I can see your frustration that they don't support your device, but the reply to your email was satisfactory.

Yodes

Reaction score
I use Aldiko for all my e-booking. Great app, with great features. Supports all major e-Book types as well.

EDIT: LOL sorry I read all the way to where you mentioned the Nook. Didn't see you mention Aldiko til I went back and re-read :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty straight forward reply to me. They just said they don't support that device, but to check back as they are adding new devices frequently.
I'm not sure what the issue is? Not trying to pick a fight with you but i feel they answered your question.
I can see your frustration that they don't support your device, but the reply to your email was satisfactory.

Have to agree. It appears that the OP is upset that B&N isn't moving quickly enough to support the Droid through a dedicated app when they already support another Android device. Frankly, I wouldn't expect a generic customer response letter to go into details about the similarity/differences of the operating systems supported on various devices. Nor would I expect to receive a personal letter detailing the development plans/projects underway.

Furthermore, as the OP indicates, (s)he already has a solution to his/her problem.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
You should notice that I asked WHEN they would have an application. Not IF they have one. It would seem to me that it would be a natural extension of their supported platform since they have already done the majority of needed work for the Nook.

Next on my list to bash: Audible.com

:mad:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
You should notice that I asked WHEN they would have an application. Not IF they have one. It would seem to me that it would be a natural extension of their supported platform since they have already done the majority of needed work for the Nook.

Let me guess that you've never been involved in corporate software development. If you had been you'd understand that the worst possible strategy is to announce when software will be ready. If you doubt that there's a rather prominent example of how bad a strategy it is discussed in multiple threads on this board.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score

Let me guess that you've never been involved in corporate software development. If you had been you'd understand that the worst possible strategy is to announce when software will be ready. If you doubt that there's a rather prominent example of how bad a strategy it is discussed in multiple threads on this board.

I have been involved in corporate development off and on for the past 28 years so I understand where they are coming from but I always tried to be more open and acknowledge that the development process was under way. By failing to even acknowledge that the Android is on the radar screen they are pushing me towards a competitors solution. And given the investment I make in ebooks I want it to be able to make an informed decision. I have purchased more than 600 ebooks in the past decade and I will continue to do so.

My suspicion is that they are nervous about the DRM and there are a lot of discussions going on about how to implement their library lending ideas, etc in the Droids.

tmp

Reaction score
Maybe I've missed something here but I have ereader on my Droid and I shop at Fictionwise. I just download from my browser and Viola.

Edit: hmm...I reread your post and realize where you are coming from. I don't know what Nook is so I'm going to go check it out however I really love ereader so I imagine I'm going to continue the way I have been.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the OP's initial reaction, however I have to say looking at that email response that it smacks of a canned answer.

97% of initial email responses are canned, the op at that point should have called by phone, for what good that might do.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Soundtaxi converts all audible.com books perfectly to work on your droid. i wrote audible.com in November, December, January, February, March. Still no reply except an automated message similar to the one you got. Dropping them as a source for audiobooks will only hurt you. They don't care. No one has an audio book library as extensive as Audible.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I don't use e-books, at least not yet. I like to hold the physical book in my hand, but I can see how an e-reader could be useful. In fact one of the high schools around here is thinking about using an e-reader for the text books for certain classes. The aim is to reduce the load in a student's back pack...which in it's own way, makes some sense.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
Maybe I've missed something here but I have ereader on my Droid and I shop at Fictionwise. I just download from my browser and Viola.

Edit: hmm...I reread your post and realize where you are coming from. I don't know what Nook is so I'm going to go check it out however I really love ereader so I imagine I'm going to continue the way I have been.

I have been shopping at Fictionwise and ereader.com for 10+ years. They have an app. It is really pathetic. They have a good app for the iPhone though.

I have found that Amazon and B&N have lower prices even with premium memberships and micro-rebates.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the OP's initial reaction, however I have to say looking at that email response that it smacks of a canned answer.

97% of initial email responses are canned, the op at that point should have called by phone, for what good that might do.

I guess I should have prefaced my OP by saying that I have been asking for four months. I fully expected a canned answer but I am incredibly disappointed that B&N has chosen to not reach out to a growing market segment especially when such a large part of the development work has already been done.

OP
L

ldimick

Reaction score

Soundtaxi converts all audible.com books perfectly to work on your droid. i wrote audible.com in November, December, January, February, March. Still no reply except an automated message similar to the one you got. Dropping them as a source for audiobooks will only hurt you. They don't care. No one has an audio book library as extensive as Audible.

Thanks for the tip on Soundtaxi. What do you play them with? I have just not found a good way to play them that will keep the bookmarks.

I agree with the loss of dropping them. I have a VERY old plan where I pay $16.95/month for 2 credits. I have to use the credits every month or lose them. They don't like people on this plan so they don't give us the same access. We can get all of the books but we don't get the free content they offer to members.