Competition in the Open-Source World Drives Software Evolution - Sapphire 0.5.2

Gearhead Geek

Reaction score
Wrong, it is based on your google preferences I believe. This happens often, but did not with this rom, I am not sure why.

Let me back up a sec. Are you talking about FroYo roms? Because this functionality WAS introduced in FroYo. Prior to that it was not possible.

Deff worked in BB 0.2.1 (froyo) but also worked in BB 1.1 (2.1 based) as well as other 2.1 ROMS. I think it's a google configuration option. Normally after ROM change you wait about 5 mins and all your apps reinstall and you get a notice stating that XXX number of apps have been restored..

At any rate it did not work on this ROM. Anyone know why?

Hrm. Odd, I was always under the impression this was a new feature to FroYo only. I've NEVER seen that behavior on any other rom, although I can't say for BB 1.1, as I dropped BB after 0.9 (ESE81).
Perhaps I was always just too impatient and loaded them back up before they started syncing lol. Either way as I said, AppBrain makes it easy, and it remembers your free apps too which is nice (always hated going into the market then backing out by accident, and losing the list of the free ones that were installed.

Mike84

Reaction score
Wrong, it is based on your google preferences I believe. This happens often, but did not with this rom, I am not sure why.

Let me back up a sec. Are you talking about FroYo roms? Because this functionality WAS introduced in FroYo. Prior to that it was not possible.

Deff worked in BB 0.2.1 (froyo) but also worked in BB 1.1 (2.1 based) as well as other 2.1 ROMS. I think it's a google configuration option. Normally after ROM change you wait about 5 mins and all your apps reinstall and you get a notice stating that XXX number of apps have been restored..

Actually I have noticed that it depends on if you have to accept the market terms of service again or not. On some fresh installs of ROMS I notice when I first enter the market sometimes it makes you accept the terms of service. In this case it will never reinstall your apps. On other ROM installs when you open the market for the first time it doesnt give you that "accept" screen. On this ROM installs my apps are always redownloaded.

On a side note I have found that with this ROM, on the first clean install it never redownloads apps, If I restore all my apps and market links with mybackup pro and then wipe and reinstall the rom it will then sync my apps. (not really necessary since mybackup pro does the same thing)

hope some of this helps

T

tsitalon1

Actually I have noticed that it depends on if you have to accept the market terms of service again or not. On some fresh installs of ROMS I notice when I first enter the market sometimes it makes you accept the terms of service. In this case it will never reinstall your apps. On other ROM installs when you open the market for the first time it doesnt give you that "accept" screen. On this ROM installs my apps are always redownloaded.

On a side note I have found that with this ROM, on the first clean install it never redownloads apps, If I restore all my apps and market links with mybackup pro and then wipe and reinstall the rom it will then sync my apps. (not really necessary since mybackup pro does the same thing)

hope some of this helps

This makes sense as I was asked to accept the market agreement with this ROM.

Sapphire team, this needs to be fixed on the next release!

jdausesj

Reaction score
My post a few posts up must have been overlooked...My advice above should fix your problem. I just reflashed this ROM to my freshly wiped (3 times) DROID and the auto google app backup worked like a charm...

T

tsitalon1

Thanks JD, will try it...

What do you guys like about this ROM compared to BB?

PDR447

Reaction score
google backup transport(automatic re-downloading of apps) has been there since 2.0 at least. I don't know if it was on 1.6 as the droid never had 1.6...

also, for those having issues with the latest clockwork recovery, the latest version has strict error checking to prevent a possible bad install. my guess would be that there is a small typo in the install script or filenames(no spaces allowed). if recovery hits one of these problems it cancels the installation so it can't result in a boot-loop or anything. the old ones weren't as strict with errors so that's why they are working.

Mike84

Reaction score
My post a few posts up must have been overlooked...My advice above should fix your problem. I just reflashed this ROM to my freshly wiped (3 times) DROID and the auto google app backup worked like a charm...

Actually if its like my experience in my above post I dont think it matters how long you let it sit. The market just will not re-download your apps if it thinks you have not accepted the terms of service.

Mike84

Reaction score
google backup transport(automatic re-downloading of apps) has been there since 2.0 at least. I don't know if it was on 1.6 as I didn't have my droid then...

also, for those having issues with the latest clockwork recovery, the latest version has strict error checking to prevent a possible bad install. my guess would be that there is a small typo in the install script or filenames(no spaces allowed). if recovery hits one of these problems it cancels the installation so it can't result in a boot-loop or anything. the old ones weren't as strict with errors so that's why they are working.

Ahh, that makes sense, still a temp fix is to just download an earlier version of clockwork or use SPR until the sapphire team fixes the error in the script.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Gearhead - just real quick answer here...

Your phone must have super powers, because I've yet to see a rom that does this. The Market is a closed source app as far as I know, and there's no functionality in it to do this. You have to do it by hand, or use an app to assist you (AppBrain Market Sync ftw).

Actually your apps are always supposed to auto restore. This is a function of the market and the google cloud. It takes like 5 minutes after you initially sync from signing back into google after a data wipe. The key is to log into google through the browser before you go to install a new ROM. Then after you flash and log back in it will sync, let it sit after sync icon goes away(you will still see data being tranfered in the 3g icon) don't go into the market or it will stop and your apps should restore.
Sent from my Droid

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
amazing work. my new rom of choice. ill be doing my infikniti development on this

would you be mad if i redesigned the logo? not saying i will, but i thought about it

bhughesiii

Reaction score
Can't wait for the froyo release. I am already making the necessary preparations for it.

Gearhead Geek

Reaction score
Gearhead - just real quick answer here...

Your phone must have super powers, because I've yet to see a rom that does this. The Market is a closed source app as far as I know, and there's no functionality in it to do this. You have to do it by hand, or use an app to assist you (AppBrain Market Sync ftw).
Actually your apps are always supposed to auto restore. This is a function of the market and the google cloud. It takes like 5 minutes after you initially sync from signing back into google after a data wipe. The key is to log into google through the browser before you go to install a new ROM. Then after you flash and log back in it will sync, let it sit after sync icon goes away(you will still see data being tranfered in the 3g icon) don't go into the market or it will stop and your apps should restore.
Sent from my Droid

Ah, it must've just been I'm impatient then and I go back in and load em manually lol.

On a side note, for those that were asking about the baseband, for some reason the site is giving me an upload error when trying to post an attachment. I'll try when I get home, otherwise it may just be because of post count I'm assuming.

Gearhead Geek

Reaction score
Oh hey, screenshots & a download link are up dancedroid

Still curious why it's labeled as FRF57 though.

And on another side note, all the FF stuff in the screenshots is ftw! :)

bluestudy4

Reaction score
I've gotta admit, I'm a little confused here. Lol. Just curious as to how people are running this, when there is no live link on the wiki page.

Nevermind... talk about bad timing. Lol.