compcache start/stop

capecodty

Reaction score
I've been using Sourcery for the past week or so with the Slayer 800 lv kernel. This morning I updated to Sourcery 1.1 and decided to flash a kernel I've been using for months with better battery use: P3/Sapphire Version .32.7 800LV. I believe this kernel supports compcache.

I've tried to enable/start via "CompCache Support", then "Start CompCache" under Settings/Sourcery Magic/Sourcery Wizardry/Sourcery Wizardry/Slayer Kernels/

After reboot to determine if compcache is enabled I enter the following in terminal:
Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

I get a "No such file" error for 'dev/block/ramzswap0'
If I enter :
Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

I get the same error. I'm interested in testing compcache with this kernel/rom pair, but also want to disable it if it slows down after a day or two. Any suggestions?
Thanks

TMYINC

Reaction score
I've been using Sourcery for the past week or so with the Slayer 800 lv kernel. This morning I updated to Sourcery 1.1 and decided to flash a kernel I've been using for months with better battery use: P3/Sapphire Version .32.7 800LV. I believe this kernel supports compcache.

I've tried to enable/start via "CompCache Support", then "Start CompCache" under Settings/Sourcery Magic/Sourcery Wizardry/Sourcery Wizardry/Slayer Kernels/

After reboot to determine if compcache is enabled I enter the following in terminal:
Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

If I enter :
Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

I get the same error. I'm interested in testing compcache with this kernel/rom pair, but also want to disable it if it slows down after a day or two. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Have you used compcache before with that kernel?

OP
capecodty

capecodty

Reaction score

Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

If I enter :
Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

Thanks

I haven't personally tried compcache at all, but bb users have used the terminal commands I described above with this same kernel.
I'm unsure if the enable / start scripts included with sorcery are slayer specific, and how I can check if compcache is actually active.
Thanks

TMYINC

Reaction score

Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

If I enter :
Su
Cd /system/bin
Compcache stats

Thanks

I haven't personally tried compcache at all, but bb users have used the terminal commands I described above with this same kernel.
I'm unsure if the enable / start scripts included with sorcery are slayer specific, and how I can check if compcache is actually active.
Thanks

P3Droid Kernels
Go to that page and go to the bottom where you see team sapphire kernel modules. Download and flash the ramzswap module. The go back into the sourcery settings and hit "start compcache" dont worry about enabling it. Then check with the commands you used before

PARick

Reaction score
Each time my phone reboots, I have to go to setting and restart compcache. Anyone else?

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that is normal and way it is supposed to be for this.

PARick

Reaction score
that is normal and way it is supposed to be for this.

Ok, thanks. Curious as to why. I mean if you use it wouldn't you want it to always be on, unless you go in and disble it?

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
somewhere on forums is script to autostart it, but its one of those items that works as bad for some as it does good for others so defaulting to autostart is probably not a good idea for the rom devs. users can do what works on phone of course.
for me the little speed gained by cache is offset by more cpu use (to compress) and more battery heat/loss.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
what he said

somewhere on forums is script to autostart it, but its one of those items that works as bad for some as it does good for others so defaulting to autostart is probably not a good idea for the rom devs. users can do what works on phone of course.
for me the little speed gained by cache is offset by more cpu use (to compress) and more battery heat/loss.

Compcache is and has been a i love it i hate it thing.
Its also been problematic.
If you look at some threads there here do this downlaod this
than flash that than change this line

Some people live by it so we wanted to include the ability for those that wanted it and insure that those that didnt dont have it.
We could include the files with the rom so all youd have to do is flash the kernel and press the start but this option is the best for those that want it they install kernel than the files than just press start. yes you have to press start each time you reboot. This was easier than having the problems that have been going on with it. the start on boot has also not be consistent.

This way it works consistantly. and after the first time its just going in and rpessing once no reboots or anything.

PARick

Reaction score
Thanks! I actually have a love/hate relationship with it. I use it for awhile, then take a break. Thanks!

OP
capecodty

capecodty

Reaction score

Compcache is and has been a i love it i hate it thing.
Its also been problematic.
If you look at some threads there here do this downlaod this
than flash that than change this line

Some people live by it so we wanted to include the ability for those that wanted it and insure that those that didnt dont have it.
We could include the files with the rom so all youd have to do is flash the kernel and press the start but this option is the best for those that want it they install kernel than the files than just press start. yes you have to press start each time you reboot. This was easier than having the problems that have been going on with it. the start on boot has also not be consistent.

This way it works consistantly. and after the first time its just going in and rpessing once no reboots or anything.
Thanks for clearing that up guys.