compcache question

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by y0rk, Aug 25, 2010.

1. y0rk

y0rk New Member

I know you have said there was some trouble getting compcache enabled on the kernels. If we install a different kernel with compcache enabled will we be able to see any benefits with it in 4.7? Or is there something else that has to be enabled in the rom to go along with the kernel?
  2. meishkov

meishkov New Member

What exactly does compcache do?? Ive searched and couldn't really find anything that explained in simple terms what it does. Seems like it's been out for awhile now though. Just a better way that android manages the memory I take it??

After hours of heavy use, if I use cachemate it'll free up a lot of space, sometimes up to 12 megs. Then I'll run cachecleaner and that'll free another 2 megs. Then my phone will run really smooth for awhile. Does it just do this automatically or something all the time??

From what I've heard it seems to be really sought after.
  3. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You can use a kernel with compcache in SS - but you will likely not have the commands easily setup to enable compcache - so you'd have to read up on how to enable, configure, etc. In addition, there are binaries needed - those do not exist in SS (ie. rzscontrol)
  4. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Sounds complicated. So What exactly are the advantages of running this compcache??
  5. Fault

Fault New Member

What is compcache?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. heleos

heleos New Member

compcache - Project Hosting on Google Code

I was going to do a lmgtfy, seeing as this is the first result for googling 'compcache' ... but seemed mean :p

Basically, compcache creates a swap partition, which is like extra RAM. more ram = more space for storing in-memory apps
  7. tameone

tameone New Member

Real world reviews of using compcache lead me to stick to default management.
  8. Coolsaber57

Coolsaber57 New Member

Yeah, i quickly got confused as to whether it was actually helpful or not. Some people had better luck with just a Linux swap partition.
  9. FunnelWeaver

FunnelWeaver New Member

Not exactly. By default, Linux kernels automatically have a swap partition, generally on the main disk. With compcache, however, a section of RAM is set aside to be used as SWAP space. In theory, this would be more efficient since RAM is quite a bit faster than the disk. The items stored in the SWAP partition when compcache is enabled are compressed to allow for more data to be held there.

In my opinion, I honestly don't see that much of an advantage to using compcache.
  10. Phreaker47

Phreaker47 Member

People have claimed that compcache prevented home app reloads. That's all I hear about it, in relation to benefits on Android.
Search tags for this page
how does compcache effect android performance

what does compcache do

what does compcache do?

what does compcache ram usage do
what does compcache ram use do