Compcache not working on RC4

droidkevlar

Reaction score
I had it working fine on RC3. Did the same exact thing and cant get it to work. Anyone get it to work? I am using P3's 900/125 kernel. Slayers "stock" kernel was causing boot loop, which it never did before.

Anyone get it working on RC4? If so, which setup?

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I had it working fine on RC3. Did the same exact thing and cant get it to work. Anyone get it to work? I am using P3's 900/125 kernel. Slayers "stock" kernel was causing boot loop, which it never did before.

Anyone get it working on RC4? If so, which setup?

I assume you re-installed the ramzswap module zip as well?

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score
Of course. I always do a fresh wipe, let it install and startup, then go into recovery and install kernel and w/e modules I am using.

Have you been able to get it working?

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Of course. I always do a fresh wipe, let it install and startup, then go into recovery and install kernel and w/e modules I am using.

Have you been able to get it working?

It worked in RC3, but I had to move the module into the correct directory (/system/lib/modules/2.6.32-P3Droid). The P3Droid zip file installs modules into /system/lib/modules, which isn't where the CM-compiled busybox modprobe is looking for them.

I'm downloading RC4 right now (on a very slow connection). I'll let you know what I find out. What happens when you type "compcache start"?

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score
Hmm, the way I got it to work with P3's kernel on RC3 was I first was using slayers setup with compcache and then went to P3's So I wonder if that is the reason I had it working on RC3. I cant get Slayers to work on RC4 (bootloop after applying his compcache patch).

About moving the module, I dont have a dir called 2.6.32-P3Droid. Do I need to create one and then move the ramzswap module there?

Se7enLC

Reaction score
About moving the module, I dont have a dir called 2.6.32-P3Droid. Do I need to create one and then move the ramzswap module there?

That's what I had to do. Actually, now that I look at the compcache script, it is manually setting MODULES_DIR. Perhaps that could be edited to look in the correct location, instead of moving the module?

What do you get when you type "modprobe ramzswap"?

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score
That's what I had to do. Actually, now that I look at the compcache script, it is manually setting MODULES_DIR. Perhaps that could be edited to look in the correct location, instead of moving the module?

modprobe: chdir(2.6.32.9-P3Droid): No such file or directory

Se7enLC

Reaction score

modprobe: chdir(2.6.32.9-P3Droid): No such file or directory

Ok, that's exactly the same error I got when I did it.

If you create that directory (under /system/lib/modules) and put the module in it OR modify /system/bin/compcache to correctly set MODULES_DIR, that should fix it.

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score
Ok, that's exactly the same error I got when I did it.

If you create that directory (under /system/lib/modules) and put the module in it OR modify /system/bin/compcache to correctly set MODULES_DIR, that should fix it.

I created the dir and still nothing. I rebooted of course. When I look at the compcache file you talk about, what should I edit the dir to? I am thinking I have to create the dir (like I already did) and then edit this file to reflect the new location?

I even edited the mod_dir to reflect the new location and nothing. You?

Last edited:

Se7enLC

Reaction score
I created the dir and still nothing. I rebooted of course.

Did you put the ramzswap.ko file into that directory?

When I look at the compcache file you talk about, what should I edit the dir to? I am thinking I have to create the dir (like I already did) and then edit this file to reflect the new location?
Nope, you need to do one or the other, not both. The file has a line:
Code:
MODULES_DIR=/system/modules/lib/modules/`uname -r`
That `uname -r` bit is what generates the 2.6.32.9-P3Droid directory. You can either remove that bit from the MODULES_DIR definition OR create that directory and put the modules in it. Either one should work fine. I'm not sure which one is "correct"

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score

Yes I did.
When I look at the compcache file you talk about, what should I edit the dir to? I am thinking I have to create the dir (like I already did) and then edit this file to reflect the new location?
Code:
That `uname -r` bit is what generates the 2.6.32.9-P3Droid directory. You can either remove that bit from the MODULES_DIR definition OR create that directory and put the modules in it. Either one should work fine. I'm not sure which one is "correct"

When I looked at my file, it never had the /`uname -r` in it. Should I add that to it?

Se7enLC

Reaction score

Yes I did.
Code:

When I looked at my file, it never had the /`uname -r` in it. Should I add that to it?

Huh, maybe RC4 fixed it. RC3 still had that in there. I'll try out RC4 and see what I get tonight, perhaps, maybe something else changed.

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score
Huh, maybe RC4 fixed it. RC3 still had that in there. I'll try out RC4 and see what I get tonight, perhaps, maybe something else changed.

WHAT!!!! You arent on RC4 already? hehehe. Cool, thanks man. I also posted on CM's forum too. See if I get anything from there as well.

OP
D

droidkevlar

Reaction score
And to add to this, I looked at my RC3 NAND and I never had the 2.6..... folder in /modules/ dir. I have copied over that compcache file to see if just copying it over will make any difference and moving the ramswap file back to the /modules dir. Other than that, I cant think of anything else.

EDIT: Still no workie. So its gotta be deeper I guess.

Last edited:

Se7enLC

Reaction score
And to add to this, I looked at my RC3 NAND and I never had the 2.6..... folder in /modules/ dir. I have copied over that compcache file to see if just copying it over will make any difference and moving the ramswap file back to the /modules dir. Other than that, I cant think of anything else.

EDIT: Still no workie. So its gotta be deeper I guess.

Worked fine for me.

I installed RC4, P3Droid Kernel and the ramzswap module.

I had to move the ramzswap.ko file into /system/lib/modules/2.6.32.9-P3Droid, like I mentioned. Yes, I had to create that directory. If that directory DOESN'T exist, when you type "modprobe ramzswap" it will fail. It's something "off" about the version of busybox that comes with CM.