Compass Stopped Working

95blklsc

Reaction score
Well it worked fine up until last week. I tried to recalibrate it, I turned the phone off and took out the battery as well. It simply does not find north, or move at all really. I have tried the compass program, street view, google sky, and a few others. They all have the same result, no compass movement at all.

Time for a trip to Verizon to have them replace the phone?

Silver Member
Reaction score
by calibrate, do you mean figure 8? does the phone's display rotate when you're in the browser or calendar or any app that supports rotate?

have you tried Bubble or another gyrometer style app?

OP

95blklsc

Reaction score
by calibrate, do you mean figure 8? does the phone's display rotate when you're in the browser or calendar or any app that supports rotate?

have you tried Bubble or another gyrometer style app?

Yes, I did the figure eight. All of the accelerometer type apps work fine, just the compass data seems to be not moving.

Silver Member
Reaction score
tri tricorder. see if you get different results.

OP

95blklsc

Reaction score
tri tricorder. see if you get different results.
Just tried that, very cool app BTW! The magnets sensor is screwed, it isn't varying at all really. The only way I can get any sort of feedback from it is by putting one ear of my headphones near it which has a magnet in it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
did you try making your own dock and/or use an aftermarket one? it could be that if you did, the magnet was too strong...

OP

95blklsc

Reaction score
Nope, never used a dock. I have a Verizon snap on black case so it wouldn't fit in any of them without removing the case anyway.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it.

Of course, you also verified that you are not at the North Magnetic pole right?