1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

"Compass" Question

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by brnix, Nov 29, 2009.

1. brnix

brnix New Member

Hey guys,
    Had a quick question about the free Compass app by Snaptic. I've noticed they've added a GPS coordinate fix to your location on the main compass screen. I was wondering how accurate this coordinate might be? I have to log GPS coordinates in the field quite often with my work. I would like to use this app but didn't know if it was as accurate as your typical handheld/auto GPS such as a Garmin Nuvi. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
  2. vidjo

vidjo New Member

Try GPS Status app....tells you error in feet or meters.
  3. brnix

brnix New Member

Thanks Vidjo! Downloading now. I suppose it didn't occur to me to search the market for such an app, lol. Have a good one!
  4. mikie

mikie New Member

@brnix hi, i'm a developer at snaptic. the coordinates are as accurate as the quality of the gps signal. basically, if you're outside then the coordinates will be highly accurate (my droid has shown me the exact parking spot in google maps). my droid is also more accurate than my 3yr old tomtom, but it's getting pretty old now.

your use case for work sounds interesting. if you don't mind my asking, i'd love to hear more about how you use our compass app. either way, please let us know if you have any feature requests that would make the task easier for you (or any other feedback/problems).

regards,
    mike
  5. jeph

jeph New Member

If you use the GPS Status app... what should the normal error be, does anyone have an idea?
  6. Guchi

Guchi New Member

it would be cool if you were given an estimated accuracy (like within 6m, 20m, exc)

Edit: ya post 100!!!
Search tags for this page

how does a android compass work