Comparing ROMs is ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sonicfreak360, May 18, 2011.

1. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

-Quick note, if you want to skim over this, read the text in red-

Now I don't mean to rant, but I'm getting sick of the multiple threads about which ROM is better. Many people will suggest their own rom, and maybe others too. However, each ROM is different in its own way, (even if its build off CM :p) and the developers add in their own features.

What I'm getting at, is that the developers put in their free time to make ROMS for us to try, and only asking for donations. Instead of asking which ones are better, you should DIVE IN and try them out yourself! You have nothing to lose, but everything to gain! (quote from Billy Mays :icon_ banana:)

Another reason why comparing ROMs could be potentially wrong is that many people may say that "so and so rom" has amazing battery life! Well what does that mean exactly? Does it mean it has better battery life than other ROMS? Or does it just mean that it has just as much battery life as the other kernels out there?

And one last thing. People can say "I had terrible battery life with X rom, but I got GREAT battery life with Y rom!" Well listen here, most battery problems and other issues are the USER'S ERROR!!! I can not stress enough how difficult it is to compare battery life and keeping your battery stats in check! What makes the battery life better after you wipe? The battery stats get wiped clean along with everything else, and not everyone pays attention to that important fact!

Alright, few things to let you know before you leave, these might help you :)

• When flashing a new ROM, it is just like wiping battery stats. ALWAYS WIPE AT 100%, DON'T reboot your phone, follow the normal battery stats procedure! Use your phone normally until it gets low, around 5%, and then let it charge on its own, DON'T TOUCH IT :icon_evil: (letting it die is bad for your battery, fyi)
    • Always use Google to look for your answers first. Even if you don't find the answers with Google, you may find threads already asking the same question. They may contain the answer you are looking for, so you don't need to ask again and aggravate the community.
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

+1 This is so True....
  3. leonozug

leonozug New Member

Totally agree man. I've been saying this for a while now. Every day you see someone asking "What is the best Rom?"...I mean come on, that's like asking "What the best car" or something. Everyone will have a different answer according to what they like best.

No Rom is the "best", it's what Rom YOU like best personally, after trying out a bunch of different ones and seeing what works best for you. Stop with the questions of which is best, there is no answer to that question.
  4. Droid_3.0

Droid_3.0 New Member

He Speaks the Truth man Lol feel like a stoner for saying that
  5. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Thanks guys :) I'm feeling like making an all in one help thread for the OAQ (overly asked questions) and if I'm lucky, it might get stickied :)
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  6. JriderG

JriderG New Member

How is letting your battery die bad for it?

Sent from my Nexus S using DroidForums
  7. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

but which is the best rom

damn fingers just couldnt resist.:)
  8. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Don't remember, but I'm positive its not good for them to just let them die!

9. eagle1967

eagle1967 Developer Developer

hmmm

I have always let my battery die completely the first 2 charges than let them charge all night and i have always had great battery life with the droid and now the g2x. so this seems wierd. but id somneone knows why this wouldnt be a good thing let us know thanks.
  10. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

Well it's great that you wipe your battery stats properly, here's a cookie! :D

11. zeppelinrox

zeppelinrox Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Obviously, the best rom has a supercharger under the hood!

bazinga! :D

Just kidding of course.

But about battery calibration... I actually came up with a pretty nifty no battery boot calibration....

xda-developers - View Single Post - Battery Calibration

My freaky Milestone boots without a battery and it turns out that droids do too ;)

Basically, charge to 100%, delete batterystats.bin, reboot normally, pop out the battery before the m logo and pop it in when you see the lock screen... then you can monitor the charge (I like battery monitor widget) and use the phone normally.
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  12. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

I didn't expect a ROM tweaker god to reply :p

Yeah, I've read that battery calibration you put up, and for some reason I didn't try to understand it. But next time I need to calibrate my battery (aka next liquid release) I'll try that method!

And yeah, no battery spooookiness :D
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  13. Natey2

Natey2 Active Member