Comparing latest water resist and breakage resiting phones and battery

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Still debating what my next phone should be as I'm still on turbo 2 which gets slugish below 50% charge

The two phones I would consider if my phone compleletly was unworkakble currently are the following neither a perfect option

Pixel 2 large version has a similar battery and water resit but I haven't seen any drop test comparison and older pixel I have seen screen crack in YouTube from drop test. Seems like a good phone but maybe a bit too big screen and the small version has a small battery.

Moto zforce 2 has the unbreakbility but not as much water resist and smaller battery than turbo 2. Maybe the CPU could offset the drain.

I am still waiting on a phone that has all the features of turbo 2 just faster . I am still waiting.. where's the turbo 3 that has never arrived so far.. oh well

What new phones coming for 2018? Maybe that will be the year of phones that merge all the good features I can only hope

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
There will not be a Turbo 3, Moto is committed to the Z, X, G and E lineups. Don't hold your breath on a Turbo 3. If you like the Moto App and the features it provides, and Shattershield, look at all the posts PereDroid has made in the Z2 Force thread. His Battery life is killing phones with much larger batteries. The combination of the Z2 battery and the chipset that phone is using is providing phenomenal battery life. And it has Shattershield. Keep in mind it is a Z series, so you will need at least one Style Shell Mod to protect the back of the phone and the Moto Mod pins.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
And a screen protector.... But you can't go wrong with the z2 force. Loving this battery life!
Not to mention it's nowhere near as bulky as the turbo 2

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
There will not be a Turbo 3, Moto is committed to the Z, X, G and E lineups. Don't hold your breath on a Turbo 3. If you like the Moto App and the features it provides, and Shattershield, look at all the posts PereDroid has made in the Z2 Force thread. His Battery life is killing phones with much larger batteries. The combination of the Z2 battery and the chipset that phone is using is providing phenomenal battery life. And it has Shattershield. Keep in mind it is a Z series, so you will need at least one Style Shell Mod to protect the back of the phone and the Moto Mod pins.

My concern with the style she'll is it break off when dropped I thought about using electrical tape to secure it. What are results if drop tests with style shell on it. Also thought about putting electric tape over pogo pins and not use a shell or maybe just use a gel cover instead of a shell ? Ihate being forced into a moto mod phone just to have a waterproof shattershielded phone they should add that to lesser models it's upselling it seems to me

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
And a screen protector.... But you can't go wrong with the z2 force. Loving this battery life!
Not to mention it's nowhere near as bulky as the turbo 2

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Why do u need a screen protector it has shattershield? I don't have a case or screen protector on turbo 2 and drop it all the time screen is fine. Is z2 force a worse shattershield?

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why do u need a screen protector it has shattershield? I don't have a case or screen protector on turbo 2 and drop it all the time screen is fine. Is z2 force a worse shattershield?

Shatter shields are great at not breaking when dropped because they're made of layers of soft material. The weakness is that soft material is prone to scratching. So adding a sacrificial glass screen protector keeps you covered.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If you don't use a screen protector on your Turbo 2 then don't use one on a Z Force. I personally used one on my Turbo 2 after dropping it once and puncturing the outer layer (lense). But you don't have to use one, it's just recommended.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
If you don't use a screen protector on your Turbo 2 then don't use one on a Z Force. I personally used one on my Turbo 2 after dropping it once and puncturing the outer layer (lense). But you don't have to use one, it's just recommended.

Ok good as long as it's not a step backwards from turbo 2 shattershield

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Why do you say "as long as it IS a step backwards"? Did you mean to say "as long as it IS NOT a step backwards"?

Last edited:
OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Lol I just edited the previous post to fix:)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Lol I just edited the previous post to fix:)

Good deal, that's what I figured you meant. Some folks have reported that the Gen 2 Shattershield that is on the Z Force and Z2 Force might be easier to scratch than the original Shattershield on the Turbo 2. So that's one other thing to keep in mind. A decent screen protector would help, if the Gen 2 lens (the outer layer) is a little softer and more prone to scratching.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
I did notice when taping the battery graph in settings that my phone under the line that says awake is almost always solid. It doesn't say what's keeping it awake though? Any way to tell. Is it the same for other peoples phones is this normal?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I did notice when taping the battery graph in settings that my phone under the line that says awake is almost always solid. It doesn't say what's keeping it awake though? Any way to tell. Is it the same for other peoples phones is this normal?

Nope, that's not normal and probably a big reason your battery is draining so fast. You have an app (or apps) or process keeping the phone from dozing...and killing battery.

OP
SMYDSMITH

SMYDSMITH

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Turbo 2
Nope, that's not normal and probably a big reason your battery is draining so fast. You have an app (or apps) or process keeping the phone from dozing...and killing battery.

But if you don't prevent dozing won't apps like beeper app which I have , not get alerts. That app developer used to say add exception to doze but it shows optimized and works. The list of non optimezed is a bunch of verizon Google and Moto svcs which look default and can't be changed. I don't see anything available to enable optimization to help with battery.
Where else should I look

Does email sync when phone is dozed? When is the phone supposed to doze?

Last edited: