Compare Razr Maxx with Razr Maxx HD?

jtc303

Reaction score
Upgraded to the HD and I love it...really sharp and fast and video is amazing... Plus all the minor tweaks over the regular max... Can't wait for jelly bean though

steeletown

Reaction score
scottysize said:
Well, my OG Droid, HTC Dinc, Samsung Charge, Samsung Galaxy 3, Razr Maxx, and iPhone 4 would not surf and talk at the same time when not using WiFi in a CDMA area. When connected to an external Internet source, I could. (Haven't tried the Maxx HD because everything LTE now all the way from work to my house.)

I was told by several that Verizon's CDMA would not allow talking and surfing at the same time. But, you could be right. There might be one out there that works, I just haven't found one. Of course, now that they moved LTE up my way, it's no longer a big deal for me.

You can talk and surf the web without 4G and WiFi with the S3

hotice

Reaction score
You can talk and surf the web without 4G and WiFi with the S3
[Edit - Just reread the previous post. So Qualcomm must have done something cool to make that work. That's great news!]
CDMA/EVDO Rev A. (which Verizon uses) can't do voice and data at the same time. GSM/GPRS/HSPA can. LTE is basically an updated version of GSM/GPRS/HSPA. The Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 radio chipset is the first one that will let you do voice and data at the same time on Verizon. This is because of the Qualcomm chipset. So any phone on Verizon that uses that chipset will let you use data and voice at the same time. I don't know if it works if you're using 3G. I doubt that but it could be - that would just mean that Qualcomm really did something crazy in the chipset. I pretty much always have 4G so I haven't been able to test that.
FWIW...there is an EVDO Rev B that I think Sprint was using or talking about using at some point. I know verizon doesn't use it. It does higher speeds then EVDO Rev A and it also allows concurrent voice and data. You may have heard about VoLTE - Voice over LTE. This would also allow concurrent voice and data but testing I saw recently shows that it takes a lot more battery power for this kind of voice call than the normal Verizon cdma voice call - possibly cutting talk time in half. I hope they don't jump to VoLTE until there is no reduction of talk time.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Quick question...Is it truly talk and surf with the Maxx HD? I can talk and surf with the OG Maxx if I am on LTE but I am out of luck if I am not. That to make would make it worth the upgrade.
Yes, you can talk and surf at the same time. No issues.

blowabs

Reaction score
I have the Razr Maxx ..and was so set on on getting Maxx HD and then i saw the Sam GNoteII and was quite impressed with the features. Please tell me why i should keep on Maxxing it withe HD over the Note II.
Ty

hotice

Reaction score
I have the Razr Maxx ..and was so set on on getting Maxx HD and then i saw the Sam GNoteII and was quite impressed with the features. Please tell me why i should keep on Maxxing it withe HD over the Note II.
Ty
One reason is all the customizations Samsung gives you. Sure split screen is a cool idea but it sounds like it only works with a handful of apps. The problem is those customizations will make it harder for Samsung to get out updates. Look at the GS3, it was supposed to get JB in August I think. Samsung had a terrible record of updating their 2010 Android phones. They did a little better last year in that they did release ICS for the GS2 this year. I expect them to do poorly, as they have so far with the GS3, because of all the customizations they use.

Another reason is battery life. The GN2 has a 1.6GHz quad core processor. The processor is Cortex-A9 vs Krait on the Maxx HD (Krait is more efficient, able to doing more with less power). Also a 100MHz higher clock speed. Not only that but it's 32nm compared to 28nm die size. Add on a physically larger display (which will take more power to light) and a less efficient radio (it's not going to be as good at the integrated LTE chipset on the Snapdragon S4 that the Maxx HD has) and even though the battery is almost as large as in the Maxx HD it will not last as long.

Plus, I use MicroHDMI. For me that's another reason. I have four mobile devices not that have MicroHDMI out. It's pretty cool I don't need any other cables and I can plug any of them into any HDTV.

Of course the Maxx HD also has better build, possibly better radio's, and a waterproof nano-coating over the electronics.

I'm very happy with my Maxx HD - especially since I got Jelly Bean yesterday!

blowabs

Reaction score
One reason is all the customizations Samsung gives you. Sure split screen is a cool idea but it sounds like it only works with a handful of apps. The problem is those customizations will make it harder for Samsung to get out updates. Look at the GS3, it was supposed to get JB in August I think. Samsung had a terrible record of updating their 2010 Android phones. They did a little better last year in that they did release ICS for the GS2 this year. I expect them to do poorly, as they have so far with the GS3, because of all the customizations they use.

Another reason is battery life. The GN2 has a 1.6GHz quad core processor. The processor is Cortex-A9 vs Krait on the Maxx HD (Krait is more efficient, able to doing more with less power). Also a 100MHz higher clock speed. Not only that but it's 32nm compared to 28nm die size. Add on a physically larger display (which will take more power to light) and a less efficient radio (it's not going to be as good at the integrated LTE chipset on the Snapdragon S4 that the Maxx HD has) and even though the battery is almost as large as in the Maxx HD it will not last as long.

Plus, I use MicroHDMI. For me that's another reason. I have four mobile devices not that have MicroHDMI out. It's pretty cool I don't need any other cables and I can plug any of them into any HDTV.

Of course the Maxx HD also has better build, possibly better radio's, and a waterproof nano-coating over the electronics.

I'm very happy with my Maxx HD - especially since I got Jelly Bean yesterday!

Wow. Ok, thx a lot!
Just when i was reset to get the SGnotell you had to present me with this logic!?!?!!!!
I wanted a bigger screen (wish the HD was a lil bigger)...but battery life is pretty important to me too.
And i am a maritime captain so that nano wproofing, and Kevlar back are important ...esp., since i like to go no case.
Decisions...decisions...dec....

hotice

Reaction score
Wow. Ok, thx a lot!
Just when i was reset to get the SGnotell you had to present me with this logic!?!?!!!!
I wanted a bigger screen (wish the HD was a lil bigger)...but battery life is pretty important to me too.
And i am a maritime captain so that nano wproofing, and Kevlar back are important ...esp., since i like to go no case.
You're welcome...but don't get me wrong, I do think Samsung has great products with the GS3 and GN2. They've got better camera's, that's for sure and some of those software customizations may be very helpful for you. Really, I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you choose. Also, the slow updates (if that does turn out to be the case) may be somewhat offset by the fact that the thing has 2GB of RAM and may be able to get new OS's longer because of that.

blowabs

Reaction score
You're welcome...but don't get me wrong, I do think Samsung has great products with the GS3 and GN2. They've got better camera's, that's for sure and some of those software customizations may be very helpful for you. Really, I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you choose. Also, the slow updates (if that does turn out to be the case) may be somewhat offset by the fact that the thing has 2GB of RAM and may be able to get new OS's longer because of that.
Thx!
How does the 2gb of ram stop it from getting new operating systems?
[btw...these 55 year old eyes now neeeeed the bigger screen:)]

hotice

Reaction score
Thx!
How does the 2gb of ram stop it from getting new operating systems?
[btw...these 55 year old eyes now neeeeed the bigger screen:)]
Opps, sorry if that wasn't clear. I meant the Note 2 may get new OS's longer because it has more RAM. The 1GB of RAM on the Maxx HD could be a limitation that end's up being worse than waiting 6 months to get an update. I like big screens too. In fact I was really surprised how much more I like the 4.7" size compared to the 4.3" size of my Droid X. I didn't think it would make that much of a difference. It's really nice in some apps to have a larger size. I can understand wanting the 5.5" display.

blowabs

Reaction score
You were clear upon my rereading your post Correctly.Thats good to know, actually, about the benefit of 2gb of RAM. Things load quite fast on that thing. I have the micro HDMI and have yet to use it.
[that AIR VIEW is so cool on the SGNote2] That GN2 does look a lil more fragile than the maxi hd, also. I just saw last nite that you can replace the battery in the GN2 as well!