Company Email on my Droid Pro

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
I'd like to get my company email on my phone. I don't have to have anything synced from Outlook other than the email. Am I able to do this on the native app and $30 data plan through Verizon?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
As long as they have/use Active Sync (MS Exchange) AND allow for mobile devices (specifically running Android). If they are only using BB mail servers or have mobiles blocked than no, at least not directly (you might still be able to 'forward' mail to your phone). Does your company have an online portal to access your email account (e.g. webmail.yourcompany.com)?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You might want to check if your allowed to access company email on a non-company device.

Here where I work it is grounds for immediate termination.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Until the most recent changes to the email.apk's I was able to access my Exchange with the "corporate" email app. Not sure what has changed so I switched to Touchdown. It is an awesome app and well worth the price, if you have Outlook/Exchange.

And as BnB said, definitely verify with your company to see if they have any restrictions.

Mike

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
[]I switched to Touchdown. It is an awesome app and well worth the price, if you have Outlook/Exchange.

And as BnB said, definitely verify with your company to see if they have any restrictions.

Mike

Yes, if you can gain access def get TouchDown (use the free trail first). It's FAR beyond the included corporate client. If your company has the web-access you can get all the info you need from there:
Log in, select options, on the menu on the left go to 'Mobile Devices' (if it's there, if not you have your answer).

While BnB has a point just ask them if they 'allow non-company devices' NOT if Android is supported... they likely don't know... the idi**s at my work said that Android wouldn't/couldn't work, yeah..... they have since sent several new employees to me to help them setup their Droids after they couldn't (you might have to 'activate' the phone via the web-access portal)....

OP
G

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
What about the situation with the different data plans? Is that going to be a problem? I have the $30 one.

As long as they have/use Active Sync (MS Exchange) AND allow for mobile devices (specifically running Android). If they are only using BB mail servers or have mobiles blocked than no, at least not directly (you might still be able to 'forward' mail to your phone). Does your company have an online portal to access your email account (e.g. webmail.yourcompany.com)?

Yes, we do have a web portal.

You might want to check if your allowed to access company email on a non-company device.

Here where I work it is grounds for immediate termination.

At our office, you're most definitely not allowed to connect without prior permissions. I plan to discuss it with the guy that handles it sometime this week, because we'll be out on an audit together.

[]I switched to Touchdown. It is an awesome app and well worth the price, if you have Outlook/Exchange.

Mike

Yet, if you can gain access def get TouchDown (use the free trail first). It's FAR beyond the included corporate client. If your company has the web-access you can get all the info you need from there:
Log in, select options, on the menu on the left go to 'Mobile Devices' (if it's there, if not you have your answer).

While BnB has a point just ask them if they 'allow non-company devices' NOT if Android is supported... they likely don't know... the idi**s at my work said that Android wouldn't/couldn't work, yeah..... they have since sent several new employees to me to help them setup their Droids after they couldn't (you might have to 'activate' the phone via the web-access portal)....

They do allow non-company devices, as they don't offer a company phone anyways. At least one person there (who is also an IT guy) has a Droid, so I'm assuming mine should work.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is the policy for accessing via an personal computer? If the permit, does someone verify the security on a regular schedule?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
What about the situation with the different data plans? Is that going to be a problem? I have the $30 one.

That's all you need (actually use just need the $15 one, though that was on their old pricing). The 'different' data packages (again, old pricing) were for the BlackBerries. In order for BB to connect to your exchange email you would need the 'email' package (it was $30 compared to the normal $15 internet package). With Droids you just need a internet package (cheapest one that works for you). You don't need any sort of 'exchange' or 'email' package as Droid connect via the internet (don't know what/how the BBs do it, but they've always charged extra for it, one reason RIM is hemorrhaging market share).

They do allow non-company devices, as they don't offer a company phone anyways. At least one person there (who is also an IT guy) has a Droid, so I'm assuming mine should work.

Yep, means the company is allowing Android clients to connect so anyone should be able to (though they could do it on a case by case basis, but at least it's possible). Again after you get permission d/l the TouchDown app (actually do it first, don't even bother with the default client, it sucks).

OP
G

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
What is the policy for accessing via an personal computer? If the permit, does someone verify the security on a regular schedule?

I don't know the policy on that. I'd have to ask. Good thing to think about, I suppose.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

I don't know the policy on that. I'd have to ask. Good thing to think about, I suppose.

Prior to retiring, I worked in IT and for me, I do not see a lot of difference between accessing the network with a handheld vs a laptop. Both are portable and can be lost or stolen. You can add software to both that will lock and or wipe should either turn up missing. Hopefully, your company will have a policy that covers them and you.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Prior to retiring, I worked in IT and for me, I do not see a lot of difference between accessing the network with a handheld vs a laptop. Both are portable and can be lost or stolen. You can add software to both that will lock and or wipe should either turn up missing. Hopefully, your company will have a policy that covers them and you.

^Right on. I can't stand it when IT departments make stupid/ignorant policies... Mine currently states that 'Android devices are not allow (and are blocked from connecting to the mail servers) because they are not secure(able)'... yet they allow (AND SUPPORT) any and all WinMo devices AND iPhoneys..... sadly there are a LOT of people in IT departments today that have NO BUSINESS being there, lol.

OP, on a personal security note one of the reasons I recommend TouchDown (in addition to functionality) is that you can set a 'remote wipe' feature to activate from a TXT. So if your phone gets lost/stolen you don't even need to access the exchange server to lock/wipe it. You simply send a txt from ANY phone with the code (the you set) in the subject line and it wipes and/or locks the phone.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

^Right on. I can't stand it when IT departments make stupid/ignorant policies... Mine currently states that 'Android devices are not allow (and are blocked from connecting to the mail servers) because they are not secure(able)'... yet they allow (AND SUPPORT) any and all WinMo devices AND iPhoneys..... sadly there are a LOT of people in IT departments today that have NO BUSINESS being there, lol.

As the IT director in central HR, I was responsible for safeguarding personal information. There are security risk. For me, the biggest is the individual not the device. There is no fix for "stupid" or "lazy".

OP, on a personal security note one of the reasons I recommend TouchDown (in addition to functionality) is that you can set a 'remote wipe' feature to activate from a TXT. So if your phone gets lost/stolen you don't even need to access the exchange server to lock/wipe it. You simply send a txt from ANY phone with the code (the you set) in the subject line and it wipes and/or locks the phone.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d-exchange-discrimination-need-some-help.html

Mike
Others are having the same issue

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I understand the need for security. I work at a University so there are TONS of legal policies surrounding privacy ect. and you're right, as Ron White said "there's no pill". lol. A lot of people don't know how to secure their phones or even understand the reason too. But for those of us that do to have to abide by IT policies made by those that don't understand the issues gets annoying at times.

OP
G

gsu_golfer

Reaction score
Turns out that a couple people here already have Android devices and they set mine up in just a couple minutes.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Touchdown's frequently recommended but it's not the only option. Don't overlook RoadSync, Moxier and others.