CompanionLink failure after Android 2.3 update

captainequinox

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been addressed already, but I've reached my limit of patience
with search engines and forum web sites for one day. It appears that the CompanionLink forum
here is closed down ...? Can't post to it, anyway.

The issue: on a Motorola Droid pro, running 2.3.2, CompanionLink's Outlook sync ran reasonably well,
although it required some odd steps which they claim are driven by the OS. Regardless, after the Android
2.3.3 update, CompanionLink (AKA DejaOffice) fails consistently and without useful error output. The
software on the PC side does not recognize that sync has started on the device side -- which is how
it's supposed to work on a Droid -- and never runs to completion.

CompanionLink tech support has been useless -- by definition, since they haven't solved my problem. They
appear to be being slammed with a large number of cases reported and have no plan they're willing to discuss
to address the problem. So:

Anybody else having this problem?
Anybody else have a solution? (The two most common, turning off bluetooth and turning off USB debugging, don't work in my
case, by the way. Already tried 'em.)
Anybody else have another product for syncing at least Outlook contacts and calendar with Droid?

And if anyone is considering CompanionLink, I would strongly recommend against it, at this point. If
you're a CompanionLink employee, your tech support case # 227495 will give you the background, which I
suggest you read before responding here.

kinger

Reaction score
I have been using companionlink for a while without a problem. I don't directly sync with my droid, I have it sync with my gmail account. I usually get instantaneous results.
Hope this helps

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

companionlink

Reaction score
If you're a CompanionLink employee, your tech support case # 227495 will give you the background, which I suggest you read before responding here.

You may have already seen an update on this from your support ticket, but I wanted to share it publicly here as well in case anyone else was experiencing these troubles. We've added a support page to our website with a fix that should get you back up and running: Droid Pro does not mount to PC - CompanionLink Knowledge Base

Let me know if that helps!

- David

OP
C

captainequinox

Reaction score
Not a driver problem -- sorry

The PC mounts the device just fine. That was one of the first things I tried. Other software that syncs using mass storage mode works properly, by the way.

OP
C

captainequinox

Reaction score
Late breaking news -- after 3 tries, my device did actually fail to mount as described in the link above. I'm testing the results now -- this may, in fact be the answer.

OP
C

captainequinox

Reaction score
Well, the sync seems to have worked, although the PC process hung at about 80% of its "writing to disk" task. I'll see if this is replicated with other users and either call it resolved or not.

OP
C

captainequinox

Reaction score
This does appear to have resolved the problem on our Win 7 PCs. I will confirm that it does it for the XP machines and if so, call this one answered.

OP
C

captainequinox

Reaction score
Sorry to say, this method is not a viable solution. It has failed 12 times out of 14 tries on Win 7, and does not work at all on XP.

I'm going to start working on a script-based sync solution that, although it will require some manual steps, will actually result in synchronization of contacts and calendar records. It will take me a while, but when I'm reasonably confident that it works, I'll provide a link to code and instructions, on an as-is, no support basis. This will be the second or third sync tool I've had to build, over the years, and they're never easy or fun, but if I can do something that works for me and my users, and makes use of USB mass storage connections instead of this nonsense, it'll be worth it.