compache

ricwhic414

Reaction score
honestly if I tried that link that goes to launcherpro, and they have fix the problem for rooted users... at least for my phone.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Compcache is overrated.

Watch the device slowdown after a couple of days. If you don't reboot the device soon it will automatically reboot itself.

Say no to compcrap :)

Sent from my Droid

The next question about compcache is how much RAM is it taking and then using as swap? Is it selectable or is it preset? I am wondering if there is a magic number to be toyed with to get the best out of it?

wingdo

Reaction score
The set default is 24MB.

Honestly I've tried various settings and such and everything works great for around 24 hours and then it all starts going to hell. Compcache is the work of teh devil. :icon_evil:

Darkseider

Reaction score
The set default is 24MB.

Honestly I've tried various settings and such and everything works great for around 24 hours and then it all starts going to hell. Compcache is the work of teh devil. :icon_evil:

OK. Next question I have is what type of compression is it giving to the 24 Meg that is used? 2:1? 1.5:1? etc...

The reason I ask is that if it is not using all of the cache then it may be possible to dial down the amount set aside to optimize it a bit more. For that matter it should be possible to blow out the cache while the phone is running without a reboot thus removing the need to reboot. Just a thought. Use a cron daemon to run a script once a day to wipe the cache clean. Thoughts?

racketier

Reaction score
If I have to just reboot my phone once a day to use compcache then that's what I'll do. My droid needs a little extra memory to run smoothly, and failing that compressed memory will have to do.

You guys that say compcache is evil would rather not use compcache then reboot once a day?

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
If I have to just reboot my phone once a day to use compcache then that's what I'll do. My droid needs a little extra memory to run smoothly, and failing that compressed memory will have to do.

You guys that say compcache is evil would rather not use compcache then reboot once a day?

Well I also don't have tons of pointless apps populating my phone. Now I have a smooth phone and don't have to worry about when I reboot :)

wingdo

Reaction score

If I wanted to be forced to reboot my phone at least once a day, I'd still have my Blackberry.

racketier

Reaction score

If I wanted to be forced to reboot my phone at least once a day, I'd still have my Blackberry.

No one is forcing you to do anything. Blackberrys needed a reboot about once a day stock. I'm saying I think it's worth 45 second reboot once a day to enjoy the features of compcache. If your phone runs great without compcache, and compcache doesnt improve the way your phone runs then I wouldn't use it either.

wingdo

Reaction score

No one is forcing you to do anything. Blackberrys needed a reboot about once a day stock. I'm saying I think it's worth 45 second reboot once a day to enjoy the features of compcache. If your phone runs great without compcache, and compcache doesnt improve the way your phone runs then I wouldn't use it either.

Seriously, you asked why some people don't like compcache, then we tell you why and you dismiss our reasoning. Rebooting mid day every day on my only phone is not what I want to do. Every now and then I try compcache to see if it's improved with new kernels and nope, still sluggish after about 8 hours of use and a snails pace by EOD.

flyinion

Reaction score
Wow I just found this thread the other night. I'd been running with compcache on because I thought "ooo shiny new good thing" and been doing it since like Sept. I think. I turned it off the other night after seeing this thread and wow the phone actually seems to run snappier all around.

racketier

Reaction score

Seriously, you asked why some people don't like compcache, then we tell you why and you dismiss our reasoning. Rebooting mid day every day on my only phone is not what I want to do. Every now and then I try compcache to see if it's improved with new kernels and nope, still sluggish after about 8 hours of use and a snails pace by EOD.

I reread my post and I think you're exactly right. I wasn't trying to dismiss anyone, and I apologize for doing so.

It seems the benefits you may get from compcache depends on your rom, kernel, an of course your actual phone. I think the the interactive kernel is similar to compcache in that there are a lot of people on both sides of the fence.

I say try everything at least once for a few days and find out what works for you dancedroid

mjforte

Reaction score
I tried compcache once, and I have to say I liked it at first. Multitasking on my Droid was never as good as when compcache was enabled. I could leave the browser, play a game, send a text, and go back to the browser and it wouldn't have to reload the page, where as with compcache not enabled I could simply just send a text and go back to the browser and it would have to reload, which gets on my nerves. So compcache helped in that regard, but after a day of use with compcache on, my phone would slow to a crawl, and even rebooted on me while receiving a call. Kind of outweighs the benefit to me. If there were a way to clear that compressed memory without having to reboot once a day, I'd be sold on it, but until then, no compcache for me.