Common courtesy and consideration!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
In the last month I have noticed many insulting and/or sarcastic comments in response to a poster's simple question or comment. One of the great things about this forum has been that it has always been a great place for Android users to get help, advice, and ideas on how to make the most and best use of their Android phone... no matter how new to Android they were...without feeling embarrassed or ostracized for asking a simple question or making a simple statement. When I got my first android phone, DroidForums became my #1 forum of choice because I took comfort in the patience, understanding, accurate and helpful tips, tricks and advice that everyone offered...without ever making anyone feel that their post was too simple or too basic. Now, as a fairly frequent poster, I take great pride in how we all help each other with patience and that we understand that the poster may be new to the android world and should not have to feel embarrassed or shut off because they are "new."

I would like to emphasize to everyone that when responding to a post, keep it polite, helpful and courteous. Consider that the person posting a question or comment may be brand new to Android and may not yet know even the basics (such as how to add a shortcut to a homescreen) and they are turning to us to learn everything they can. Take notice how many times the person has posted. Not always, but chances are if they have only a few posts, that they are new to our forum and most likely new to Android. Respond to their posts with consideration.

Sometimes sarcasm is quite funny and even welcoming. For those of us that have been on this forum for awhile and have gotten to know others, we love it. But for someone that is new, if sarcasm seems appropriate, (and yes, it sometimes can help make the new member feel comfortable) let the new member know it was to be funny and clarify that it is just kidding (jk) and then offer helpful tips or ideas.

A rule of thumb... no question is too simple. I have had Android for two years now and I'm still learning new things... thanks to this great forum!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Adam74

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 7
I agree. The forum has always been a huge help to me and my lack of knowledge.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
This is exactly what we moderators strive for. As such we.completely endorse this statement. We're here to help, and make this a friendly, helpful, educational environment for everybody, from the owners of their very first android device, to the user that gets the latest greatest as soon as it drops, and everyone in between :)

We encourage feedback, and we're here to help... :) we want this to be your forum of choice, and we'll do all we can to ensure that you have the best experience possible. :)

This is from all.of us here at the Droid Forums... :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
:icon_ banana:From a pillar of our community, great advice for all to read and follow! Way to go, TisMyDroid!!dancedroid

r314bd

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any of this attitude here at DF, thankfully (a big reason why I'm still here 2.5 years later.) The DF community in general is much more well behaved than at some of the other tech forums I visit. I generally stick to the Droid 4 forums though which isn't very high-traffic so there isn't really a problem with trolling.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I haven't noticed any of this attitude here at DF, thankfully (a big reason why I'm still here 2.5 years later.) The DF community in general is much more well behaved than at some of the other tech forums I visit. I generally stick to the Droid 4 forums though which isn't very high-traffic so there isn't really a problem with trolling.

Glad to hear it, and for the record, the issues brought to light by TisMyDroid are not by any means rampant. In fact, they are extremely low as you elude to. But even one "insulting and/or sarcastic comments" is one too many. We strive to be the BEST community for learning and growing together, and so everyone has the best user experience with their phone, so simply refreshing our minds with what TisMyDroid posted is simply good measure.

There's a reason why the stop sign is posted at the corner, and why it remains there permanently to remind you even after you've seen it thousands of times before. If it weren't there at some point in the future you may forget why it was...and that could be tragic.

OP
TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
SGMD1 said:

This has always been my experience with DF as well, so when I came across the recent few, I was a little surprised...probably mostly because it is out of the norm for our forum. I love this forum exactly for this reason along with the non-stop wonderful tips and help I have received. It was the most recent example I came across today that prompted me to want to put this in perspective.

Edit: like FoxKat said, it is by all means not rampant. Quite the contrary. It is a minor few. Just hoping to keep it that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
And, please, report a post where this happens. We try to read the posts but there's no way we can read them all, so please hit the report button, and I guarantee those posts will be deleted when warranted and PM sent to the offender. DF is the most helpful, friendly, and courteous users, and our goal is to never get away from that. Thanks for the reminder too.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
And, please, report a post where this happens. We try to read the posts but there's no way we can read them all, so please hit the report button, and I guarantee those posts will be deleted when warranted and PM sent to the offender. DF is the most helpful, friendly, and courteous users, and our goal is to never get away from that. Thanks for the reminder too.

+100 to this...we try to keep our eyes open for unfriendly posts but truth is, we might miss them and any assistance that can be offered by the members is always greatly appreciated...if a post is reported, we can definitely review & respond as Vulcan mentions...

Thanks for the reminder post TisMyDroid!