Common Android Myths/Explanations

RobStemen

Reaction score
cvpcs made this awesome wiki about some of the things that people believe are true to kind of clear up some of the fog surrounding the Android OS, and I feel it should be posted here so everyone can see it. Link here

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well, it's about time to just put a sticky here for some explanations.

I have added a page to the ccroms howto wiki to explain some common misconceptions regarding android.

This includes (but won't be limited to):

1. Benchmarking
  2. Task Killers
  3. Freemem
  4. Build numbers

In the future I will be keeping this info up-to-date so that people have a place to find some information for commonly mis-understood things.

ongoing:android_myths [CVPCS Android Wiki]

I will also be sure to update this thread with a notification if things are added or changed to this page.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
cvpcs thanks for clarifying things to us. You and your team are a blessing to this community :hail:

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. For the most part, I've seen these addressed before, but somehow these myths continue to persist. Nice to see them all in one place. The worst myth, IMO, is that of task killers and keeping MB free. The problem is that most people are accustom to Windows desktops, where free RAM directly correlates to the performance of whatever program you're looking to open next. Unfortunately, as CVPCS states, keeping memory free is "...a horrible idea and just leads to problems with redraws and instability." This is exactly why I abandoned BB long ago. It had that damn 50MB free at all times script, which meant that if I was using navigation and Pandora at the same time, Pandora would periodically get killed because Navigation needed a bit more memory. The g/f tried to use the browser (nav and Pandora were already running) one time on a trip to look for restaurants along our path...yeah, that didn't go well because the script caused programs to keep getting killed.

Hopefully this information continues to spread around, but with 200,000 new Android activations a day, most of whom I'm assuming are not looking toward the dev community, it'll be a long battle.

Last edited:

silk

Reaction score
You mean a myth like Droid 1 won't be getting Android 3.0/Gingerbread? I'm still wondering where you confirmed this rumor in your Sapphire 1.0 thread.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
You mean a myth like Droid 1 won't be getting Android 3.0/Gingerbread? I'm still wondering where you confirmed this rumor in your Sapphire 1.0 thread.

With its older hardware, it most likely won't anyway... I mean, custom rom's will be made with most if not all of the 3.0 goodness, but Motorola has to think of all the unrooted people who would not be happy with an extremely overburdened phone that can't handle its OS without an overclock.

Great idea cvpcs. Now I can start linking people to that instead of typing out paragraphs of info time and time again :)

silk

Reaction score

With its older hardware, it most likely won't anyway... I mean, custom rom's will be made with most if not all of the 3.0 goodness, but Motorola has to think of all the unrooted people who would not be happy with an extremely overburdened phone that can't handle its OS without an overclock.

Great idea cvpcs. Now I can start linking people to that instead of typing out paragraphs of info time and time again :)

That's all speculation. CVPCS said it was confirmed though in a different post. Unfortunately, no evidence to support that was provided. So IMO, it's a myth until we hear it from Google.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

That's all speculation. CVPCS said it was confirmed though in a different post. Unfortunately, no evidence to support that was provided. So IMO, it's a myth until we hear it from Google.

He's since corrected his post.

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

First off, that was a mistake made based on some misinformation that I had received that I believed to be reliable. I have seen your post and have updated my other thread. Also, you will notice that this page does not mention it either.

I understand your concern with my other thread sparking rumors and I apologize for the misconception but I don't really appreciate your tone as it is essentially implying that this post has no value.

While I admit that my post does not list sources such as wikipedia it is because a lot of the sources are myself. That being said, I have always been open to people proving me wrong and will gladly update anything that is proven to be incorrect, but please don't misunderstand my intentions.

cvpcs

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have recently added a note urging people who have reason to believe the information on that page should be changed to contact me/sniffle so we can update the page.

PJnc284

Reaction score
Good read. Everyone should take the time to at least skim over it.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Don't know if this is the right thread for this ... I know you looked at FRG22 but will this latest news have you reexamine it and potentially add an update to 1.0? Not sure it's needed cuz this things a rockin' for me :tongue:

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try reading the last myth or the Sapphire 1.0 and FRG22 thread. Either will answer your question really...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk