Comments on Note 8 Oreo Upgrade

BigNunz6

Reaction score
Guys thank you again. I did go and change the icon pack. Looks so much better now. Damn I feel like such a noob!!
i may have misspoken, you may be able to make some changes by going into your settings under wallpaper, then click on icons at the bottom. I have a launcher that controls all of that so I normally don't use samsungs features.

No. Short of using a whole different icon pack. That is how Google set up their icons to keep everything uniform.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
it

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few comments about losing the ability to apply SMS notificaiton sounds to specific contacts in Oreo. On my Pixel2 (Oreo 8.1), in both Google Messages, and a Play Store app "Pulse" I can set individual tones by selecting a conversation, then the 3-dot menu and a "Conversation Settings" option. Drill down to notifications and it should get into a specific Notification Channel where you can pick ringtones.

Try it? Whether Samsung did something to take it away, or if the feature was re-enabled with 8.1; I couldn't say but it's worth a look.

OP
M

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few comments about losing the ability to apply SMS notificaiton sounds to specific contacts in Oreo. On my Pixel2 (Oreo 8.1), in both Google Messages, and a Play Store app "Pulse" I can set individual tones by selecting a conversation, then the 3-dot menu and a "Conversation Settings" option. Drill down to notifications and it should get into a specific Notification Channel where you can pick ringtones.

Try it? Whether Samsung did something to take it away, or if the feature was re-enabled with 8.1; I couldn't say but it's worth a look.
Using Vzw Messages+ I can do the same.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
We can download those apps and use them also... However the stock Samsung app depended on that being done from within the contact information.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Then it sounds like Sammy needs to update their app to tie into the Oreo notification channels.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I went for trying to get away with not doing a factory data reset before or after my upgrade. I ended up doing an FDR because had too many bugs. My notifications in status bar wouldn't open app or would go to an app that was not set as default, and I had a persistent system overload notification when there was none.

One thing I can't seem to get to work is the edge screen lighting. I didn't use it before the upgrade so not sure if it would have worked then. Would it be because I'm not using the stock launcher?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I went for trying to get away with not doing a factory data reset before or after my upgrade. I ended up doing an FDR because had too many bugs. My notifications in status bar wouldn't open app or would go to an app that was not set as default, and I had a persistent system overload notification when there was none.

One thing I can't seem to get to work is the edge screen lighting. I didn't use it before the upgrade so not sure if it would have worked then. Would it be because I'm not using the stock launcher?

I use a launcher and my edge lighting is working.

Have you verified all settings?

Further up in this discussion is the steps to enter settings

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks Miller! I'll check those out again and see if I missed anything.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Wonder if my translucent setting is wrong or my width is wrong, although I've tried both at their highest & lowest extremes.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Screen shot your settings.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk
I think it works but I didn't realize the edge screen lighting only lasts for a couple seconds. I don't stare at my phone so I'm not seeing the edge screen when it happens.
9a5518717f251a421b5d3df19a331444.jpg