Command Line File Encryption?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DroidToro, Mar 22, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. DroidToro

DroidToro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Command Line File Encryption?

I'm looking for a way to use a binary cli command to encrypt files from the unix command line. I want to write my own shell script to en/decrypt files. An example from desktop Linux would be GPG or perhaps a version of Info-ZIP that does AES256 encryption. I also have the requirement of having super-long passwords (100 chars or more). Even better might be a certificate based mechanism.

I know there are many "file hide" and " file vault" apps but each seems to have some sort of drawback. They either don't allow operations on many files at a time, have no way to decrypt files on the desktop, have bad reviews of people losing files or use "security through obscurity" techniques. I prefer to roll my own to suit my specific needs.

BTW, I want to keep pics/scans of all my important docs like ID, credit cards, legal docs, etc. for handy reference but want to make sure that the info is safe. I feel I need to say this because every time I ask this question, someone suggests it's for adult material. Well, that is another reason I need this but for that I would settle with "obscurity" :)

I also know that android keeps cached thumbnails and a lot of apps don't wipe thumbnails. I already got a solution for that. ​
  2. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    apg does gpg file encryption -- however I don't think its command line based however.
  3. DroidToro

DroidToro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, APG will do PGP encryption of files, which is a great feature, but it only lets you select one file at a time and there's no CLI. My preference at this point would be a CLI tool that lets you do AES2256 encryption to a zip file since it seems that this is what is supported by most file managers.