1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Command Line File Encryption?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by DroidToro, Mar 22, 2011.

1. DroidToro

DroidToro New Member

Command Line File Encryption?

I'm looking for a way to use a binary cli command to encrypt files from the unix command line. I want to write my own shell script to en/decrypt files. An example from desktop Linux would be GPG or perhaps a version of Info-ZIP that does AES256 encryption. I also have the requirement of having super-long passwords (100 chars or more). Even better might be a certificate based mechanism.

I know there are many "file hide" and " file vault" apps but each seems to have some sort of drawback. They either don't allow operations on many files at a time, have no way to decrypt files on the desktop, have bad reviews of people losing files or use "security through obscurity" techniques. I prefer to roll my own to suit my specific needs.

BTW, I want to keep pics/scans of all my important docs like ID, credit cards, legal docs, etc. for handy reference but want to make sure that the info is safe. I feel I need to say this because every time I ask this question, someone suggests it's for adult material. Well, that is another reason I need this but for that I would settle with "obscurity" :)

I also know that android keeps cached thumbnails and a lot of apps don't wipe thumbnails. I already got a solution for that. ​
  2. kevdog

kevdog New Member

apg does gpg file encryption -- however I don't think its command line based however.
  3. DroidToro

DroidToro New Member

Yes, APG will do PGP encryption of files, which is a great feature, but it only lets you select one file at a time and there's no CLI. My preference at this point would be a CLI tool that lets you do AES2256 encryption to a zip file since it seems that this is what is supported by most file managers.