Coming Soon to a Droid near you!

ips

Reaction score
It would definitely benefit both VZW and Apple to bring the iphone to VZW, but we have to remember not every apple user is an apple fanboy. I own a macbook pro and love it but wouldnt buy an Iphone if given the choice between the iphone OS and the android OS, adding the iphone would give vzw publicity and draw new customers. Without iphone exclusivity ATT would take a huge hit. We have to remember, a lot of the people who use iphones arnt techies or fanboys, theyre regular people.

Wolfeman

Reaction score
It would definitely benefit both VZW and Apple to bring the iphone to VZW, but we have to remember not every apple user is an apple fanboy. I own a macbook pro and love it but wouldnt buy an Iphone if given the choice between the iphone OS and the android OS, adding the iphone would give vzw publicity and draw new customers. Without iphone exclusivity ATT would take a huge hit. We have to remember, a lot of the people who use iphones arnt techies or fanboys, theyre regular people.
Verizon is the #1 cellular provider in the US I believe so they really don't need it. They passed on it before because they don't want to deal with Apple's BS. I personally hope they don't get the iPhone and push Android phones and Blackberrys.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon is the #1 cellular provider in the US I believe so they really don't need it. They passed on it before because they don't want to deal with Apple's BS. I personally hope they don't get the iPhone and push Android phones and Blackberrys.

They and AT&T are within a few points and are essentially tied, have been for years on any rating I've ever seen (one report will have Verizon slightly ahead another AT&T slightly ahead). This is why they and AT&T are in such a fierce marketing battle right now. Trying to find more 2009 stats but for now:
Verizon Wireless Leads in Performance, But AT&T Takes Market Share -- Seeking Alpha
AT&T- News Room
Us Wireless Market Q1 2009 Update May 2009 Chetan Sharma Consulting

So yes, they need a drastic move to, depending on which report you trust either take the lead or to solidify their position. Even IF they are #1 they would not have a significant enough market lead to make it not worth their efforts to 'deal with Apple's BS.'

I would like to see them push the Android phones, but they need capital to do that. Getting the AFBs in the droves that they would come would give them that capital. It would also give them the market share needed to strengthen their ties with the cell manufacturers allowing better phones at cheaper prices. A 'Win' for everyone involved.

ips

Reaction score

I agree there... I hope verizon keeps android as their flagship smartphone... but more options never hurts.

flavious27

Reaction score

They and AT&T are within a few points and are essentially tied, have been for years on any rating I've ever seen (one report will have Verizon slightly ahead another AT&T slightly ahead). This is why they and AT&T are in such a fierce marketing battle right now. Trying to find more 2009 stats but for now:
Verizon Wireless Leads in Performance, But AT&T Takes Market Share -- Seeking Alpha
AT&T- News Room
Us Wireless Market Q1 2009 Update May 2009 Chetan Sharma Consulting

So yes, they need a drastic move to, depending on which report you trust either take the lead or to solidify their position. Even IF they are #1 they would not have a significant enough market lead to make it not worth their efforts to 'deal with Apple's BS.'

I would like to see them push the Android phones, but they need capital to do that. Getting the AFBs in the droves that they would come would give them that capital. It would also give them the market share needed to strengthen their ties with the cell manufacturers allowing better phones at cheaper prices. A 'Win' for everyone involved.

As unreliable as wiki can be and i am lazy right now, vzw has 89 million and at&t is at 81.6 so there is a rather large gap between one and two.

Now vzw is going to be getting the pre plus and pixi plus this quarter, which is going to gain them new subscribers from sprint that were holing out until their contracts were up. This deal makes sense for vzw and it completely screws sprint over.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
As unreliable as wiki can be and i am lazy right now, vzw has 89 million and at&t is at 81.6 so there is a rather large gap between one and two.

Now vzw is going to be getting the pre plus and pixi plus this quarter, which is going to gain them new subscribers from sprint that were holing out until their contracts were up. This deal makes sense for vzw and it completely screws sprint over.

You really think that is "a rather large gap??" Please tell me your kidding. Look at the numbers... there is only 7.4M difference between the two. While that may sound like a lot if you actually try to put it into perspective it is ONLY 4.3% of 'their' total market share. For giants like this they are for all practical purposes 'dead even.' Ane those numbers show a far greater gap than any offical/actual market reports have over the past year or so. Most official industry reports have them with 2-3% of each other. But hey, great job supporting Wiki.

flavious27

Reaction score

You really think that is "a rather large gap??" Please tell me your kidding. Look at the numbers... there is only 7.4M difference between the two. While that may sound like a lot if you actually try to put it into perspective it is ONLY 4.3% of 'their' total market share. For giants like this they are for all practical purposes 'dead even.' Ane those numbers show a far greater gap than any offical/actual market reports have over the past year or so. Most official industry reports have them with 2-3% of each other. But hey, great job supporting Wiki.

Now you want me to actually work. Okay AT&T puts on their website that their subscribers number at 77 million, so now the gap is 12 million subscribers or well over 13% of either companies' subscriber totals.

But how is 7.4 million subscriber difference dead even? Say that the average subscriber spends $100 a month, that difference is $ 8,880,000,000 a year more in revenue. Oh look the difference in revenue between the two companies is 15.9 billion. Only the US government considers $58.6 and $42.7 billion about equal.

technologic

Reaction score
If the OTA update hits on January 22, when do you think the manual update will be available? I was one of the unlucky owners that didn't get the OTA when it initially launched. Is it safe to say that the manual update could be available by January 31?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score

Now you want me to actually work. Okay AT&T puts on their website that their subscribers number at 77 million, so now the gap is 12 million subscribers or well over 13% of either companies' subscriber totals.

But how is 7.4 million subscriber difference dead even? Say that the average subscriber spends $100 a month, that difference is $ 8,880,000,000 a year more in revenue. Oh look the difference in revenue between the two companies is 15.9 billion. Only the US government considers $58.6 and $42.7 billion about equal.

And on VZW on site they say they have "80 Million wireless customers." So now the gap is only 3 million, which is less than your original estimates. Again such discrepancies only strengthen the argument that they are too close to call a clear winner. Neither company can 'relax' and both can, and WILL take whatever steps they need to to strengthen their market position.

And to companies this size, yes $8B is, while significant not an extraordinary amount. Particularly when it's far less (MOST people don't have $100/month plan).