Coming from Blackberry. Is the X right for me?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by ninefall, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. ninefall

    ninefall Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2010
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    This blackberry curve I've been rockin' for 26 months has been good to me but I'm in a big need for an upgrade. I am seriously considering getting a DX but I have never really used an android device before. I've played with a friends for about 2 minutes but thats all. Will I be completely lost by getting the X?
     
  2. Jaxidian

    Jaxidian Team FreeMyMoto Premium Member Developer

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Messages:
    554
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    Ratings:
    +0
    My brother-in-law (is computer-literate but new to smart phones), father-in-law (I was SHOCKED to hear he considered, much less bought, a smart phone), and a cousin-in-law (new to Android but not smart phones) all got an Evo and have no problem with it. Sure, some of them will never use the phone to their true potential, but they all seem to enjoy the phone.

    I would say, if you are computer-literate, then it would be no problem. If you would consider yourself a power user, then you'll love it. If you think Solitaire is the best game ever, then you might want to go for the iPhone.

    Yeah, I'm being pretty biased here but Android 2.x is NOT what Android 1.x was. I've had the G1 since 3 days before it went live and have gone through all of the pains of Android 1.0 to hacking it to Android 2.1 and it's amazing how different the phone is now from before! I would have ONLY recommended Android 1.x to power users but 2.x is fine if you're computer-literate. Gingerbread (a version after 2.2) will, in theory, make Android about as user friendly as the iPhone. Perhaps not exactly, but that's the release where they address major user friendliness and UI options while all of the releases up until now (and including 2.2) have been focused on adding major infrastructural features. In other words, it's a very nice system, and it will only be getting nicer. :)

    I hope this helps!
     
  3. ninefall

    ninefall Member

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2010
    Messages:
    50
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im geeky, I run hybrid OS's on my berry and have even done a little modding with them myself. Im definitely a power user and will dig deep into android. My biggest fear is only that since I text SO much, I will have issues with A, the virtual keyboard, and B, a completely new foreign to me OS. Im sure Ill deal with it fine. I originally had wanted the droid 2 but the multimedia capabilities of the X are whats pulling me towards it.
    Thank you for the reply.
     
  4. Jaxidian

    Jaxidian Team FreeMyMoto Premium Member Developer

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Messages:
    554
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like you'll fit right at home.

    I'm about to take the plunge from an awesome physical QWERTY keyboard (the 5-row G1 keyboard - best I've EVER used) to a virtual keyboard and I've had the same concerns. However, I'm MUCH less worried now that I have tried Swype out on my G1. It's really good for 90% of what you type, and the other 10% of things aren't that bad. Like anything, it definitely takes some getting used to. I'm still only about 50% as efficient as I am on my QWERTY keyboard, but that's with 2 years practice on it (I can literally type an email while driving with very little eye contact with my phone). But I still have to admit, it will never be the same...

    Android in general, though, is pretty good with text entry, user dictionaries, and such. Swype is too.