1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Coming at you live

Discussion in 'Motorola Xoom' started by PereDroid, Apr 20, 2011.

1. PereDroid

PereDroid Well-Known Member

Thread title from an old 80's tune that I am sure mst if you don't know. Lol
    I am the IT manager at a law firm. We are a VZW shop. I asked our VZW rep if I could test drive a Xoom. He said yes.
    So here I sit coming at you from a Xoom.
    I will post my thoughts here.
    Dinner time. BRB. Lol
  2. PereDroid

Dinner was good.
    Set up my gmail. Set up my corporate email.
    So far so good.
    Installed Pocket Cloud free to remote control my desktop at the office. Works well enough.
    Honeycomb is really great. Love it. Very fast on this hardware.

The only things I don't like so far:SD card slot that doesn't work right now.
    4G.. doesn't work right now. And when it is ready I will have ro send my tablet to Motorola to get it? That's weak.
    Lastly, the keybord which I can surorisingly type pretty fast on, lags when typing into this forum. Weird but certainly not a dealbreaker.
  3. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Sd support is alive and well, just takes some minor software hacking - check out our sister site http://www.xoomforums.com/ for more information ;)

There are also some great keyboard alternatives that clear up any and all lag - thumbkey is my personal choice -
  4. PereDroid

Lol nice.
    Can't hack this though. Gotta return it.
  5. PereDroid

So can the Xoom replace a laptop in the corporate world???

ALMOST! Man, it's so close. So so close.
    I was able to easily remote desktop my PC. A bit cluncky with the onscreen mouse control, but do able for short periods of time. Opening a document on the network and trying to type when the onscreen keyboard takes up half the screen was doable, but clunky. A BT Keyboard would solve that.
    I also used ES File Explorer and was able to browse the corp network for files and open\edit them with the QuickOffice program.

The only killer point is you cannot open a document on the network, edit it, and save it back to the network.

Not sure if that's a deal breaker though as you can edit it and send it to your secretary to put on the network.

The email clinets and email widgets for both Gmail and Corporate mail made doing email on this a breeze and almost fun. Didn't miss Outlook at all.

My only cons:
    Once I couldn't click links on internet pages. Google, Facebook, Corporate website. It just would not respond even though I could type in any field. Reboot Xoom and it was fine, but come on.... brand new out of the box and I gotta reboot to fix it? Feels like Windows. lol
    Fresh Facebook App install would not run. FC FC FC FC. Reboot. FC FC FC FC.
    The next day it worked. ?!?!?
    Oh and certainly not a deal breaker either but annoying as hell. Tried that Cordy or Gordy game that comes preinstalled. The main opening screen went fine. Ran around the little starter map. When it went to load the next level the screen went black while the music played in the background.
    It wouldn't shut off.
    I had to just leave it there til the battery dies which luckily it was nearly dead at this point anyway. If it was a full charge and I had to let it run out? I'd be more then annoyed...
    Also slightly annoyed that they released it unfinished. No SD card support and no 4g support yet? SOON. Lame.
    Although if I were to buy one I would want wifi only so I really don't care about 4g.

Overall I'd give it a B+ for the corporate world and a solid A- for the consumer market.
  6. PereDroid

OK...the Facebook widget does NOT work. Really?
    Really?
    Uninstalled/reinstalled.
    No change.I know FB sucks but that is weak.