COME AND GET IT: Vzw HTC One

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
htc-one-black-and-white.jpg

HTC One | Learn more about the HTC One on Verizon Wireless - Verizon Wireless

After months of waiting vzw now has a sign up page for their version of the HTC One.

Is it too little too late for you or are you still going to buy?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Still a top tier phone despite the fact Verizon got in on it like 6mo later. I would've highly considered had it been available at the time of my upgrade. I think it'll sell, but nowhere near as well as it would've had it been on the shelves when it first came out.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Maybe not *exactly* "come and get it," but instead a bit more:

Elegant and packed with great features, this Android™ smartphone will be available on the Verizon 4G LTE network later this summer.

This whole melodrama (and I admit I've been sucked in) has exposed an ugly underside to the cell-phone world, or to be more precise, it's highlighted to me how completely irrational and frustrated people can become. The discussion on the VZW help forum is almost impossible to read -- HUGE amounts of venom daily. I'm so tempted to say Verizon seriously messed up, but then someone with the voice of reason chimes in and reminds us that there are several very good business reasons for VZW to have dragged their feet, and the delay really isn't that bad. For someone ready to lock in a 2-year contract, the 4ish months of wait (I think the Sprint and AT&T releases were April ~19) is not much -- though sure, for the "must have newest" phone crowd 4 months is certain death.

When I take a deep breath and calm down, I have to agree that Verizon is slow, but it's OK, and even though shinier things will emerge in 2014, the One will only look worse because phones turn over so fast. Objectively, it will continue to compare favorably for well over a year, if not more.

-Matt

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score

This whole melodrama (and I admit I've been sucked in) has exposed an ugly underside to the cell-phone world, or to be more precise, it's highlighted to me how completely irrational and frustrated people can become. The discussion on the VZW help forum is almost impossible to read -- HUGE amounts of venom daily. I'm so tempted to say Verizon seriously messed up, but then someone with the voice of reason chimes in and reminds us that there are several very good business reasons for VZW to have dragged their feet, and the delay really isn't that bad. For someone ready to lock in a 2-year contract, the 4ish months of wait (I think the Sprint and AT&T releases were April ~19) is not much -- though sure, for the "must have newest" phone crowd 4 months is certain death.

When I take a deep breath and calm down, I have to agree that Verizon is slow, but it's OK, and even though shinier things will emerge in 2014, the One will only look worse because phones turn over so fast. Objectively, it will continue to compare favorably for well over a year, if not more.

-Matt

In a world of 6 month product cycles, 4 months or so is a long time. If you are going to upgrade and lock in for 2 years, why do it with a phone that is about to be replaced with something better?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
In a world of 6 month product cycles, 4 months or so is a long time. If you are going to upgrade and lock in for 2 years, why do it with a phone that is about to be replaced with something better?

I knew this question would come up and I couldn't decide, try to "arm" myself in preparation by embedding the rebuttal in my post, or wait.

I decided to wait. :)

My response is this: You are the member of a rather nerdy Android forum. You have over 1,100 posts. You and I are two of the most unrepresentative owners of an Android phone -- we can't know for sure, but I'd guess (based on the daily activation estimates) that owners like us make up less than 1% of the phone users out there. So my response is...most people don't care about 4 or 5 months. Most people are nowhere near as well-informed as you or I are when we buy a new phone. I don't think your or my sensibilities factor in here. What it will come down to for most people is cost and appearance. Unfortunately, I don't think VZW will do the smart thing and release the One for $99 -- if they did, we'd see a landslide of new owners. Either way, I'm pretty confident that for every knowledgeable shopper who turns up his nose at the "late-to-market" One, there are three right behind him who will happily buy it. The only catch is that the Droids and the X (and pretty soon, the Note 3) will be available at the same time, making the choice a bit more complicated.

EDIT: I'm not worried about the G2 muscling in -- at the rate Verizon is going, the G2 won't be available until March 2014!

-Matt

jamjr74

Reaction score
Way too late!! Newer phones already arriving.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Way too late!! Newer phones already arriving.

Argh, I give up. Can't you guys think like A NORMAL PERSON for 5 minutes??? LOL It's hopeless. :blink:

-Matt

jamjr74

Reaction score
Argh, I give up. Can't you guys think like A NORMAL PERSON for 5 minutes??? LOL It's hopeless. :blink:

-Matt

Don't you know we are not normal! Lol. Sure some will buy it heck some still buy phones that are 2 years old already (iPhone 4 and 4s)! Vzw will sell some but in my opinion they missed the boat! For me anyway, I would have grabbed one but not now. I'm sure a lot of customers feel the same way. A lot of people actually left vzw to get the htc one.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

-Matt

I sort of agree with that part. In the grand scheme of things (though the delay is irritating) 4 months is not a make or break thing. If the device is that good then 4 months later you will get a chance to see how it stacks up with the competition for that year. Plus by then all the gripes and complaints are known and what ever software hiccups can be addressed for a smoother release.

Yeah I was being a little dramatic with the title I will admit.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I have a shiny new S4 and I'm Jonesing for a G2... my attention span ain't all that long. :)

WestOkid

Reaction score
To be honest, as soon my contract is up, I am going to jump ship and head over to a GSM carrier. Service is becoming negligible. I feel like every time I buy a Verizon phone it's a trap. Between the limited choice of phones, the Super locked bootloader, the slow updates, is it worth gutting out 2 more years? I bet this thing ships with an old OS. They can't even update thier one Nexus device in a timely fashion. The One is great but I wouldn't get an older flagship on VZW. A 6 month old device on VZW is like a year old device.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I sort of agree with that part. In the grand scheme of things (though the delay is irritating) 4 months is not a make or break thing. If the device is that good then 4 months later you will get a chance to see how it stacks up with the competition for that year. Plus by then all the gripes and complaints are known and what ever software hiccups can be addressed for a smoother release.

Yeah I was being a little dramatic with the title I will admit.
NONONONONONONONONO, I wasn't referring to YOU (c'mon I LOVE this site), I was referring to how crazy people have gotten while waiting for the One at Verizon. It's been a perfect storm -> phone company waits to the last moment to announce details + beautiful phone is available "everywhere" else. I really think Verizon has been fair about it, and that it's just the public's inherent need TO HAVE IT NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOWWWW that's created the melodrama. LOL

And you hit the nail on the head: in reality, letting "others" debug and beta-test a phone is...objectively...the wisest thing to do. But then, some on the forum have to be THE FIRST BETA-TESTER ON THE BLOCK. LOL ;)

EDIT: case in point -- I JUST ordered the Nexus 7 FHD (love how they added "FHD" to the name to distinguish it), and now I realize that it's having issues, e.g., GPS, touch, etc. I GUARANTEE both the X and the new Droids will have their 2-3 months of issues too. Maybe more.

-Matt

jamjr74

Reaction score
To be honest, as soon my contract is up, I am going to jump ship and head over to a GSM carrier. Service is becoming negligible. I feel like every time I buy a Verizon phone it's a trap. Between the limited choice of phones, the Super locked bootloader, the slow updates, is it worth gutting out 2 more years? I bet this thing ships with an old OS. They can't even update thier one Nexus device in a timely fashion. The One is great but I wouldn't get an older flagship on VZW. A 6 month old device on VZW is like a year old device.

I kinda feel the same way you do. Vzw is the biggest carrier with the best coverage no doubt but their ota's and phone releases annoy me. Vzw should be leading the way not bringing up the rear. They were last to release the s4 and the HTC one also not being able use the last nexus device on the network has kinda got me thinking as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2