Comcast and Time Warner= the new Xfinity

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

comcasttimewarnerdeal.jpg

Though this is not Android news it does affect the community in general. As you all have heard by now Comcast has (or will) become larger thanks to their acquisition of Time Warner Cable. The deal still needs approval from various agencies but if approved it gives Comcast a little more strength. One of the concerns people have is that Comcast will slow down data for those who use their internet service to stream content via Netflix, Hulu, Amazon or other streaming services (Netflix is slow on Comcast). This can effect those who use Chromecast, Apple TV, Xbox, PS4, or other devices used to stream content. I personally have expressed that if they ever allow us to stream live sports I am canceling my cable as I prefer Netflix and Hulu to cable any way. In fact the only time I turn the tv on is during football season. Once football season ends I drop to basic cable (bare minimum) any way. With rumors of Google negotiating with the NFL and Netflix gaining more and more content it is obvious that the writing is on the wall. With that said this opens the discussion on what rights a cable company have to interfere with how you use your data. This can be a big benefit to Comcast if say the people who use Apple Tv or Chromecast are forced to pay more for a certain speed package in order to view Netflix or Hulu.

I personally will be paying attention to how this plays out as well as what rights the government have as far as legislation. Also that brings up the question of should the government have the right to tell a business (like comcast) how they should handle the service they provide their customers?

jspradling7

Reaction score
First off, I don't think government should get involved in business except for things like Public Safety, Infrastructure, National Security, Taxation, etc. Sometimes drawing the lines is cloudy though.

Is this just a cable tv/data streaming issue or is it part of a bigger question? Is the internet public or private or both? Are cable companies a private business ran on a public infrastructure? How does this compare to land lines, water, gas, and electricity? Is the internet a utility?

I guess I'm undecided on how to classify the internet and cell providers. I can't define who has the "right" to do what until I understand how to classify it.

If it's a service industry then let it regulate itself. Example, T-Mobile offering a different model than AT&T, competition will perform the regulation. If Comcast throttles, is there an avenue for competition to enter the market and take away customers?

If it's infrastructure, meaning it's like roads and bridges (vital to our society) then maybe standards and codes should be put in place to assure fair play and safety.

I don't know the right answer but I know it's a hard question with pros and cons both ways.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First off, I don't think government should get involved in business except for things like Public Safety, Infrastructure, National Security, Taxation, etc. Sometimes drawing the lines is cloudy though.

Is this just a cable tv/data streaming issue or is it part of a bigger question? Is the internet public or private or both? Are cable companies a private business ran on a public infrastructure? How does this compare to land lines, water, gas, and electricity? Is the internet a utility?

I guess I'm undecided on how to classify the internet and cell providers. I can't define who has the "right" to do what until I understand how to classify it.

If it's a service industry then let it regulate itself. Example, T-Mobile offering a different model than AT&T, competition will perform the regulation. If Comcast throttles, is there an avenue for competition to enter the market and take away customers?

If it's infrastructure, meaning it's like roads and bridges (vital to our society) then maybe standards and codes should be put in place to assure fair play and safety.

I don't know the right answer but I know it's a hard question with pros and cons both ways.

You bring up some great questions as I'm asked myself those same questions. But here is my issue with cable companies, in most places it is a monopoly as they basically are the exclusive cable provider so in that case I lean toward it being regulated like utility company or they open up for competition. Your VZW example if VZW decides to lock down all their smart phones (bootloader and sim) then as much as I hate it government should not interfere because there are other choices. Verizon working the best in your area is not an excuse for why they should have to offer us phones with unlocked bootloaders or allowing phones with unlocked bootloaders on their network because I have an option to go else where ( I hope using the bootloader example does not deter any one off the topic).

But my point is that either open up the market where more than one cable company can compete in the area (ie Google or a small start up) if not, allowing a cable company to have exclusivity in an area along with the now merger of two larger ones basically made way for a monopoly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

jspradling7

Reaction score
But my point is that either open up the market where more than one cable company can compete in the area (ie Google or a small start up) if not, allowing a cable company to have exclusivity in an area along with the now merger of two larger ones basically made way for a monopoly.

In my area, Centerpoint Energy maintains the electric lines. But I can buy power from multiple companies. That never made sense to me because the power still comes from the same sources on the same grid. AT&T maintains the phone lines up to my demarc, but I can get my "service" from multiple companies. My natural gas is the same way. Why can't Comcast maintain the lines and allow others to "rent space" on the lines? That's my question about it being a utility or no.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
In my area, Centerpoint Energy maintains the electric lines. But I can buy power from multiple companies. That never made sense to me because the power still comes from the same sources on the same grid. AT&T maintains the phone lines up to my demarc, but I can get my "service" from multiple companies. My natural gas is the same way. Why can't Comcast maintain the lines and allow others to "rent space" on the lines? That's my question about it being a utility or no.
My area has one electric company and one water company they are exclusive so if I get angry I cant say cut it off I m going somewhere else unless I plan on moving to another county where another company controls the electricity.
Dont get me wrong I am not for big government. Like for me now I do not think the government should tell a small business who they have to serve. Now there was a time when that was needed (in the 60s) because of the landscape then. But now if a restaurant refused to serve me because I am black then personally I would rather not be served Ill take my money elsewhere. Plus if you keep turning down business you will eventually end up turning the lights off for good. The market (when left alone and open for competition) will police itself.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I think it will interesting to look back 20 years from now and compare what things are like now to what they will be then.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Basically the questions I have is this: Will things get better or worse? Will I have to pay more over time for the same service? Will my service get worse, for the same price? Will I get better service for the same price?

Right now, I pay $49 for an Internet only package, 20Mps up, 5Mbs Down on TWC. I am happy with this arrangement, and don't want it to change.

sportikaa

Reaction score
I bought an ACER A500 from China and it is running on the Android OS. Unfortunately, it has all default apps that i don't need, plus i can't download anything from the android market. So is there anyway i can set the software so its like i bought it form the U.S.?

combatmedic870

Reaction score
I bought an ACER A500 from China and it is running on the Android OS. Unfortunately, it has all default apps that i don't need, plus i can't download anything from the android market. So is there anyway i can set the software so its like i bought it form the U.S.?

Ummm....Try here in their question and answer section. Acer Iconia A500 - xda-developers