1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Collaboration instead of Competition

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by realigion, Aug 8, 2010.

?

Would you be interested in starting a collaborative effort/platform for mods?

1. Yes - Developer/Coder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes - Designer/Artist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No - Developer/Coder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No - Designer/Artist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. realigion

realigion New Member

Damn... that last option is "No - Designer/Artist"
    Could a mod possibly fix that?

Hey guys,

I'm assuming almost all of you regulars here have heard of DarkEdge before. This theme was enormously successful due to the meeting of the two sides of Android theming: Design (me) and coding (Xeudoxus).

As far as I know, there hasn't been another theme received with such excitement or loyalty as DarkEdge.

But what if we could make every theme as complete, big, successful, and unique as DarkEdge? I see, time and time again, there may be a well-designed theme, but no custom code to back it up. More often, there is a badly-designed theme, with plenty of code to try to make it unique in a different way.

My question is: Would anyone be interested in starting a collaborative effort to construct themes?

With coders and designers with similar interests teaming up, we could make the Android modification scene unstoppable. Not only with themes/mods flooding out, but VERY high quality ones, for any taste.

While the primary team would only consist of high-level designers and coders, we could also provide a training and practice platform for those wishing to reach higher. As of right now, teams aren't an issue. Just is anyone interested?
  2. realigion

realigion New Member

Reserved by REAL
  3. RoLa

RoLa New Member

I always want to reach higher! Knowledge is key.
    Bump.....Nice thread
  4. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Fixed.....

Lucky I stumbled on it : )

next time (if their is one) pm one of us and we'll take care of it.
  5. microsnook

microsnook New Member

I can try! lol
  6. realigion

realigion New Member

Nice, anyone else interested?
    Thanks Cereal :)
  7. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

I know nothing about coding or theming but this does seem like a good idea.
  8. realigion

realigion New Member

Thanks for the bump and support Justin :)
  9. g1tox

g1tox New Member

i can try as well, i don't know much about coding, but if there's anyway i can help maybe in other ways let me know. :D
  10. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

How could I not be Interested...Great Idea and Thread Concept

If I could have Voted twice I would have...Yes and Yes
  11. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

This is a great idea! I mean, look at Alternative Dark, that theme is awesome looking, but now the maker is leaving. If we had more people like realigion and Xeudoxus, themes would be awesomer. I wish I could help, but I'm just starting to learn Java and I don't know what else I would need. I'm really interested in this, if someone could point me in the right direction to what I would need to help out, I'd start asap. Not very good with design, I haven't gone after it even though I have some great ideas in my head.
  12. realigion

realigion New Member

Hey Swift, well I'm glad to know you're interested! Like I said, if I were to go all-out on something like this, it'd have a platform and system for tutoring, practice, beta-releases, reviews, etc (if a coder wanted to help me with a dedicated website).
  13. microsnook

microsnook New Member

I want in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator Premium Member

no problem if i knew more about the stuff i would vote.. i would like to learn but i have to have idiots guide to it :) if it does burn gasoline or diesel i cant figure it out without help..
  15. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I voted YES as an artist/designer only because I think that teamwork, if kept professional, is a great way to get things done. I personally don't know if I would be much of a help because after completing my Luna Theme I am now trying to step back and get back to my other artwork, photography. I love all the support and praise my theme had, but I don't see making another full theme for a long time because it takes time. I am an artist that needs to get back to his camera!

My Thoughts: I like that you want to bring coders and artists together to make something big, however I have one other issue. Although I am not personally a fan of minimalist themes I think that DarkEdge was the bomb. The only issue with it is that I feel like a lot of people had problems or just a hard time getting it all to work right. I feel like it would be fantastic to get ROM devs, Coders, and artists together to make a kick-butt theme that comes in the ROM. One install and that is that, you're in. Only issue with this is that some people like one ROM and not another, some like some functions and not others. I would love to see a full package. (Please not minimalism! Let's utilize dimension!)
  16. jbrock98

jbrock98 New Member

i think its a great idea i've been interested in learning how to theme since i rooted but other than changing png files all that coding and xml editing was way over my head, i had ideas on what i like and would want and it sucks seeing a theme come out that uses an idea thats similar something u have and u couldn't do it or tweek it to make it that much better to you, but great themes on a unified front supporting ALL top shelf roms would be awesome for the community
  17. wricks

wricks Premium Member Premium Member

Let me +1 on the idea of a intergrated ROM/Theme package. Having the ROM-Dev and the Theme-Dev work hand in hand (or keyboard to keyboard) makes good sense to someone like me who can do neither. With that kind of cooperation, they could produce a relatively bullet proof, one-step download/install package.

The mind boggles at the possibilities.
  18. realigion

realigion New Member

Micro, find me an experienced web coder and I'll invest the time in designing it :) I could code the basic page nav and stuff, just not forums and team/project management systems.

Understandable Justin. I'm not experienced myself, I just want to provide a platform for more effective communication and collaboration.

Icculus, nice :) Yeah I think ease-of-install is going to be a huge thing. For instance, an app that could root your phone and then install any ROM and then any theme, all while on your phone - that would be dream situation. I think the biggest issue is compatibility. So maybe have a set of standards from ROM and theme developers. Overall I think the root community looks kind of iffy to normal users. We're all congregating on a few forums around the web, speaking in code and using cool acronyms and stuff. If we had a more professional and collected image I think the root and theme comm. could be significantly more widespread.

JBrock, yeah I agree for sure.

Wricks, see my response to Icculus :)
  19. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Icculus's idea is awesome. Not sure how well it would work out though. Isn't one of the main idea of themes and developers, is to be different than the others? I know mine would be. I even do it with clothing :p
  20. realigion

realigion New Member

Swift, I think rather than only having a primary ROM for development, instead have a set of standards. I'm not sure what the implications of this would be, but some way to maintain themability across various ROMs (even just a few approved ones) could be a very good first step.