Cold feet, buyers remorse???

Gomo

Reaction score
So my wife and I have Droid Razr's and they've been GREAT phones. VZW pushed an update a month or so ago that really slowed down my phone and practically bricked hers. They're both beat up pretty good and it's time for new phones, BUT I'm on unlimited data and as most of you know VZW won't let you upgrade and keep the plan unless you pay outright for the phones. I thought of going to T-Mobile or Sprint, but I'm a travelling sales guy up and down the East Coast and have witnessed first hand sales guys in my car on both carriers with NO signal while I've got a full 4G signal. Anyway, I called VZW to "cancel" as customer service's only offer was 6GB data for the same price I'm paying ($30). According to them, I should be happy as $30 only should get me 2GB right (LOL). So, I made an offer to the retention person...I said give me the 10GB plan w/hotspot for the same $30 I'm currently paying and give me the 2 GS5 promo w/no upgrade fees (BOGO). I justified it as I'm giving up unlimited data for only 10GB, but they'll give me hotspot, unlimited text and minutes. She put me on hold for a minute, came back and said "you're going to love me, done deal, how do you want to pay for the phones? I said that was too easy...what am I leaving on the table. She said "well, if you really push me I can put a $10 a month credit on each line for a year". I said done deal, put the $250 on my bill and send me one in white and one in black. They should be here tomorrow! Now I've been waiting since Friday, anxious to get the phones, but the excitement is starting to turn to remorse...Should I have hung on tight to the unlimited data plan? I've heard rumors (even spoke with an attorney) that if VZW really wants to they can cancel my contract legally at any time, but they likely won't due to the bad publicity. What do you think folks?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Welcome to the forum. ..seems like a great deal you got there. . How much data do you average per month? That's really what will determine if you should leave unlimited. .I know 10gb is not enough for me. . So I buy my phones outright to keep unlimited. .

N3 tap

OP
G

Gomo

Reaction score
Most I've used is 8GB, but that was trying to consume as much data as i could in a month. I didn't turn wifi on at all that month and uploaded a lot of pics and videos via motocast over the network. Typical data consumption for me is around 2GB...How do you consume so much data? Thing that bugs me is there's simply going to be more and more high density content coming and one day 10GB may easily be consumed in a couple of hours. I keep telling myself that eventually verizon would just kick me off the plan anyway...especially when the 5G network rolls out. I figured I may as well take a deal while i can. :confused:

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy Note 5
Twitter
@healthymommy13
That sounds like an amazing deal! No buyers remorse should be had! Enjoy the excitement!

~ Beth ~

"Be nice to those you meet on the way up because you will meet them on the way down."

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You should be good then with 10gb but I agree more stuff coming down the road ..and I hate being married to wifi. .eventually everyone will start coming off the unlimited plans..Verizon will just keep offering new services or promos..

N3 tap

nalgon

Reaction score
Get a slingbox and that will use a lot of data! Thats the only reason I keep my unlimited data plan.

jhom

Reaction score
As of 4/17, VZW is offering More everything plan of 10gb+ with $25 line discount to users with their own phones. While I was on the unlimited data plan, I never went over 6gb, so I switched over. Now I'm paying $145/month for my 3 lines. Some may say I'm nuts for giving up UDP, but if I don't need it, I can use the savings to buy new phones or upgrade when I want.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
I think unlimited data is overrated. I went off unlimited to get the s4. I still don't use all the data they give me with my limited plan. But I do have wife on at home and at work. The only reason I could see using sox much data that you need unlimited is if you do not have or pay for home internet. If that Is the case it would still be cheaper to get Internet at home than pay $600 for a new phone ev every upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
That's a great deal. You did better than I did.

I think unlimited data is overrated. I went off unlimited to get the s4. I still don't use all the data they give me with my limited plan. But I do have wifi on at home and at work. The only reason I could see using sox much data that you need unlimited is if you do not have or pay for home internet. If that Is the case it would still be cheaper to get Internet at home than pay $600 for a new phone ev every upgrade.