CoComing up on my two weeks with the revolution Should keep or trade for Charge?

AstroBoy

Reaction score
All,

Almost two weeks ago on Fri. I received my Revolution. purchased from VZW on line.

Over all I like it, but there are a few IMO major issues that make me think of returning it and getting a Droid Charge.

The first and most troubling is that fact that even though I'm in a 4G area I have some apps that can not connect via 4g or even 3G. They need Wifi to connect even though they are supposed to use any connection.

I tried several of these on the TB and Charge in the VZW store. and they failed on the TB, but the Charge ran them no problem. I plan on trying them again tonight on the TB and Charge to see if the original results have changed.

Now my major issues with the Charge are the form factor/build and the hard buttons. as well as the UI (which can be changed).

I hate having to pay for 4G that only works on occasion.

Verizon doesn't care about any apps, they said if I have a 4G signal and can make and receive calls then there is nothing wrong. I have not called LG about this.

I have rooted the Revolution and understand that the Charge can be rooted as well.

I've heard that Gingerbread is coming to the LG sometime next month, but have no idea if that will fix the connectivity issues.

Given these facts does anyone have any suggestions/opinions about keeping the Revolution or Paying the $35 and getting a Charge?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think you should definitely trade but I am biased b/c I was not impressed with the lg rev at all when I tried out at the store. On the other hand, i wasn't even going to look at the charge b/c i thought it was ugly but ended falling in love with it at the store.

One bit of advice which you may already be aware of... unroot your lg before you take it back. If you do not and they notice it's rooted, you will not be able to exchange and you will void your warranty.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Revolutionizer

Reaction score
All,

Almost two weeks ago on Fri. I received my Revolution. purchased from VZW on line.

Over all I like it, but there are a few IMO major issues that make me think of returning it and getting a Droid Charge.

The first and most troubling is that fact that even though I'm in a 4G area I have some apps that can not connect via 4g or even 3G. They need Wifi to connect even though they are supposed to use any connection.

I tried several of these on the TB and Charge in the VZW store. and they failed on the TB, but the Charge ran them no problem. I plan on trying them again tonight on the TB and Charge to see if the original results have changed.

Now my major issues with the Charge are the form factor/build and the hard buttons. as well as the UI (which can be changed).

I hate having to pay for 4G that only works on occasion.

Verizon doesn't care about any apps, they said if I have a 4G signal and can make and receive calls then there is nothing wrong. I have not called LG about this.

I have rooted the Revolution and understand that the Charge can be rooted as well.

I've heard that Gingerbread is coming to the LG sometime next month, but have no idea if that will fix the connectivity issues.

Given these facts does anyone have any suggestions/opinions about keeping the Revolution or Paying the $35 and getting a Charge?

Where did you hear that gingerbread is coming to the LG in the next month.....?

powder

Reaction score
LTE is flakey everywhere. It's not stable yet. Unless you're close to a major airport (i would say 50 miles away or so) you won't get a consistent signal. I get a great 4g signal with my revo, uninterrupted even, but i don't go outside even a 40 mile radius of the tower they have in my area.

OP
A

AstroBoy

Reaction score
Where did you hear that gingerbread is coming to the LG in the next month.....?

I've heard on a couple of different forums from someone who spoke with LG Support. Of course like the Bionic rumors take with a generous supply of salt.

smalltank

Reaction score
Well..I live in los angeles, ca..4g is damn fast and once in awhile goes back to 3g..but with full signal..so no issues with signal for me..I just with I would know when GB is coming out so I can start using my FFC (sigh)..unless there is an app that works by chance?

jeremy02

Reaction score
I was in this same conundrum and ended up with the revolution because of the price. I didnt realize they were only $35 apart? Can someone help me out wiht this trade policy?

The physical buttons really turn me off but I love the screen and I havent been able to figure out how to root the revolution this being my first Android device. I tried SuperOneClick to no avail and I tried reading around for alternative means but havent been able to understand all of this android jargon. Any help in the right direction and I would be much obliged.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Imo the Charge will be better than the revo. All the 4g phones have problems with connevtivity I believe, but the Charge will prolly have the least. It will prolly get gb soon and is a decent device even as stock unrooted. It will prolly be just a tad slower than tb or revo though, but not a great deal.

Sent from my fascinate

jneusch

Reaction score
I tried the Charge for almost 2 weeks and ended up returning it. It had noticeable lag and was a little quirky. The BT acted strangely, not always keeping a connection. The Revo is a little quicker, has the ability to upgrade the storage to 48gb and it seems a little less quirky.

I do miss the super amoled screen. It was really nice, and it was easier to see in the bright sunlight. The battery life was also noticeably better. I did not try it, but I think the FFC worked too, which seems to be an issue for the Revo.

I think either phone is a good choice. Neither without their faults, but good overall. In the end I am happy with the Revo, but I wouldn't have been unhappy with the Charge either.

Cybie257

Reaction score
I don't think you can blame the phone for app problems with 4g. Personally, my revo kicks but with 4g and have yet to see any app not utilize it. Getting 16-18 megabits download and about 6-8 up. I downloaded a win 7 sp1 directly to my phone that was (almost) 1gb in size. Only took about 5-6 mins to download. Not bad considering I didn't have a solid 5 bars. Pandora stars up quickly and never skips a beat, even when mixed with gps apps and other data apps while driving. I'm curious if you could list a couple of the apps that were a problem for others like myself to test connection speed???

Cybie

Sent from my VS910 4G using DroidForums

spdivr1122

Reaction score
Trade for the charge. I had so many problems ( refer to my post with the phone not turning on after you turn it off )

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Big Cam

Reaction score
I do miss the super amoled screen. It was really nice, and it was easier to see in the bright sunlight.

Everyone says this and I'm confused why. The Charge has a much clearer and crisp screen , YES, but it's way less bright than the Revolution. 50% brightness on the Revolution is 100% brightness on the charge, in the sun I just click my brightness up to 100% and there is no angle you can't see it perfectly from, even 75% will do.

Plus for how often I don't use my phone outside in direct sunlight, the whole issue isn't even a concern for me.

I just don't see why people say the charges screen is so much easier to read in sunlight because it's not.

OP
A

AstroBoy

Reaction score
Wow an old thread revived. Might as well update the status.

I kept the Revo, but a week later (day 23 of ownership) the phone refused to boot. VZW sent me a replacement Revo. A week later that also died and refused to boot even to factory reset.

By this time I was so frustrated I had VZW send me a Charge as a repacement.

So far I like the Charge, but it is noticably slower than the Revo. the screen is much better IMO.

I've got it rooted and ROMed with an Overclocked Kernel. Clocked to 1.4 it is as fast as the Revo.

I'd still prefer the revo, but could not stand the unrealiability of it.