CNN Report Suggests Verizon Reps Pushing Android Phones over iPhones

wolstonc

Reaction score
When my girlfriends mom went to get an iPhone the day before unlimited ended, the incredible 2 just came out and they tried desperately to push it on her. I think they just push whatever is new

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Uhm, pretty sure 4G is more expensive than 3G due to the tiered plans they have. I still have unlimited so it doesn't affect me, but I don't get the people who don't seem to understand that most new customers will be paying more for the 4G phones.

But, anyway, I'm sad to say that I may really buy the next iPhone that comes out. They really aren't bad phones when jailbroken.

Dom1000

Reaction score
i think their trying to push their 4g network but i also think that android is a lot better than the iphone...apple just really knows how to market their products...

on a side note...thats a really sexy looking verizon store...love the chrome

Snoking

Reaction score
Uhm, pretty sure 4G is more expensive than 3G due to the tiered plans they have. I still have unlimited so it doesn't affect me, but I don't get the people who don't seem to understand that most new customers will be paying more for the 4G phones.

But, anyway, I'm sad to say that I may really buy the next iPhone that comes out. They really aren't bad phones when jailbroken.

A data plan is a data plan to VZW, they are the same cost for a 3G only phone and a 3G/4G phone. Chris

Droidrookie84

Reaction score
The media are known Apple fanboys, everytime Apple announce or launch a new product the media is right there nut hugging the product.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
looks like its just 3g/ vs 4g not i phone vs android. glad to see the news angles it that way.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
What difference does it make if the iPhone is X years old ir it is not sold anymore? The iPhone 4S is less then a year old, guessing off the top of my head, I would say it is about 6 months old. If you been living in a cave for the past 5-8 tears, Apple release iPhones with a tick tock release schedule. 1 Year an entirely new iPhone is launched, the next year a variant of that model with some updated features is released.

The iPhone 4S, the very device we are discussing, is absolute proof that Apple lacks a "tick tock" release schedule. The iPhone 4 was released on June 24, 2010 (on AT&T) - the 4S wasn't released until October 14, 2011 - well beyond a year. That's why it took people by surprise, with that type of delay everyone was expecting an "iPhone 5"

Immolate

Reaction score
A simple thought exercise. If Motorola released a 3.5" high-resolution phone with 3g, a dual-core 1.0 Ghz processor, no removable battery, no expandable memory, with a simple but elegant design, at a flagship phone price, how may people would buy it?

Now... why would any competent salesperson recommend such a phone to a customer who was looking for a top-tier phone?

The iPhone 4S is not currently a top-tier phone compared to the Rezound, GNex or Razr Maxx. People who buy it are either committed iOS fans, buying based on someone else's opinion, really like little phones, or have a quirky love for some other aspect of the phone (design, glass on two sides, etc.).

Nobody walks in the store coming from a feature phone and falls in love with the interface. As much as a phonophile as I am, it took me two months to decide that iOS was insufferably stupid in the way that it works (after the thousandth time looking for the back-up key). I can't see a newb choosing a phone on either OS within the context of a store visit based on a preference for the OS itself.

BTW I traded my work 4S (that i own) for a Galaxy Note and I'm happy as a clam now, other than being on AT&T. Yes, I realize the Note is a niche phone, but it's my niche :)

Signum

Reaction score
the reason for the 4G push is b/c sales reps are now paid $25 per 4G device sold.

seeing as how the only 4G devices are android, there you go.

the table will turn once the 4G iphone drops.

Reaction score
I was just saying that, IMHO, that one iPhone gen is as good as the next iPhone to most people. The market has seen it and a lot of people own one. those customers who already have the device will be introduced to something new when the talk to a sales rep because thats what they do: they sell products. If I were to walk into a VZW store with my GNEX and they show me a new samsung Galaxy III thats coming out i might say it has a lot of things my phone can already do. Now if they introduce me to a different device such as the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5 then I would become a potential sale. Thats all..

In otherwords, I was just saying because iPhone owners are only offered a new version of their phone they prob wont make an impulse decision. They know what their phone can do. However, if you show them something they havent seen they might be excited to buy it. I was just trying to chime in and bash the article a little bit.. :biggrin:

thesandman00

Reaction score

Wrong.

Last edited:

acousticshade

Reaction score
First off, shame on to the CNN reporter. If he really wanted to do an unbiased report, he should have done more than 10 calls. 10 is not a high enough number to give statistically accurate results. He also should have done one third of his inquiries indicating that he was interested in an android type device and then see if they would try to steer him to an I-Phone.

I went in to Verizon several times over the Christmas Holiday season wanting the Gnex and one Verizon rep actually mentioned the Rezound (however briefly) because it came with nice headphones. The next time I went in, I mentioned that I was a musician and that rep asked me if I had considered the I-Phone. He then showed me several pretty cool music apps, but other than having a better software library, the I-Phone just can't compare to the current Android Tier I phones & I ended up with the Rezound.

Seriously, Rezound & Nexus owners should really be the ones upset by this article. Either of those phones has better hardware than the Razr, but probably aren't pushed because Moto either gives big red $$ to push the Razr or they make more per phone when they sell it. In the end, big red gets to choose what they will & won't push & it's really up to the consumer to get educated about the phones before they buy. Guess what, if you can't spend the time researching your purchase, you're at the mercy of the sales person who may be educated or may be an idiot.

Silvernirvash

Reaction score
First off, shame on to the CNN reporter. If he really wanted to do an unbiased report, he should have done more than 10 calls. 10 is not a high enough number to give statistically accurate results. He also should have done one third of his inquiries indicating that he was interested in an android type device and then see if they would try to steer him to an I-Phone.

I went in to Verizon several times over the Christmas Holiday season wanting the Gnex and one Verizon rep actually mentioned the Rezound (however briefly) because it came with nice headphones. The next time I went in, I mentioned that I was a musician and that rep asked me if I had considered the I-Phone. He then showed me several pretty cool music apps, but other than having a better software library, the I-Phone just can't compare to the current Android Tier I phones & I ended up with the Rezound.

Seriously, Rezound & Nexus owners should really be the ones upset by this article. Either of those phones has better hardware than the Razr, but probably aren't pushed because Moto either gives big red $$ to push the Razr or they make more per phone when they sell it. In the end, big red gets to choose what they will & won't push & it's really up to the consumer to get educated about the phones before they buy. Guess what, if you can't spend the time researching your purchase, you're at the mercy of the sales person who may be educated or may be an idiot.

Allow me to reply with this. First paragraph i agree with totally. a 3 part investigation over more than 10 times would be better.

Second paragraph i agree with again. Iphones are dull, and out dated.

third paragraph i have to argue with over a little though. The Droid Razr while im not a big fan of it is actually BETTER than the rezound regardless of the rezounds "amazing" beats integration. I have the Bionic for now and im happy with it but the Razr MAXX has clocked in at around 2 and a half days WITH OUT charge. that is in MY opinion the most impressive feature of the Razr MAXX no matter how stupid it may look up front. it has a better display than the Rezound, it has better battery life than the Rezound, and if ur going for quality of music on a headset i'd say any headset that matches the quality of beats if you're so impressed by that company that's actually only sell the artist label on it and NOT the product itself then i'd say ANY android device while using a headset will sound equally impressive because you can install music apps that have built in equalizers like TTPOD which i enjoy quite a lot. Don't disregard a particular phone or phone company like moto just because they happen to be pushing phones YOU didn't pick. If youre only defense for the Rezound is the music than its a pretty lame defense overall. It's all about which device gives you more bang for your buck and so far Motorola has done quite well with delivering high quality devices they just have a poor habbit of releasing phones quickly after one another Droid Razr then Droid Razr MAXX so quickly after seems stupid to me but the quality of the new device balances it out. And just because the person purchasing a phone is uneducated about the current tech in 4G LTE it doesn't make them STUPID it makes them ignorant to the idea that something is better than their all holy iphone sure, but not STUPID. By the way BEATS isnt all that amazing. my sis gave me her pair that she got with her Rezound and i must say i wasn't noticing much of a difference in quality compared to my bluetooth headset. not much at all really. BEATS only have one thing behind them....BASS.....and i dont listen to rap or hiphop so what good does bass do for me? not much really thus it all seems pretty retarded to argue one phone is better than the other based on one minor difference in sound systems.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
Silver,
These debates will rage on forever. As far as the screen being better that is a matter of personal preference and use. Many members in here have seen and tested the Razr and Rezound and Nexus and each have their preference. I've seen the Maxx and while the colors are brighter the Rezound's screen is sharper and more crisp and the colors are more true to life. Again personal preference. The one thing the Maxx has is battery life but if you look at all the problems the Maxx has, lower quality camera, locked bootloader, no removable/ replaceable battery the case could be easily made that overall the Rezound is a better phone. And you can add an extended battery. I did and I can go longer than two days without a charge depending on my use. Again it's personal preference and what you want the phone for. Most members in here will all agree that before you settle on a phone go to a store and try them all. Pick the one that best suits your needs.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums

Caesars

Reaction score
I think some of us are missing a huge point regarding the iPhone, the avg end user is just fine/happy with an iPhone. Sure the people who read these websites are tech nerds and care the the newest android has better hardware, but to your avg costumer that is 100% not relevant. The debate will continue on for EVER, but in my personal experience the iPhone is much more reliable for the average costumer. They press an app, it launches, it works. Myself I can't rally decided what I prefer as I have owned two iPhones and multiple droids over the last few years, frankly the combo of the MAXX and an iPad 3 (with foxfi) is beyond amazing ATM. Tis might jut be the unholy combination of the century lol.