CNET ranks the Droid's screen #1 versus four other popular smartphones.

rmcray08

Reaction score
This article was posted this morning on CNET comparing the quality of mobile screens of the Droid, Palm Pre, iPhone 3gS, Nexus One and the Samsung Behold II. CNET ranks the Droid as #1 of the five smartphones, having this to say:

"The Droid achieved an incredibly impressive contrast ratio, given that it's not OLED-based. It also had the most-accurate colors of any of the phones as well as the sharpest text. Also, unlike the Nexus One, the Droid was capable of displaying 24-bit color. Its only glaring mistake was an overly reflective screen when viewed in a sunny, natural environment. Despite that, the Droid is clearly the performance winner, followed fairly closely by the Palm Pre Plus and the iPhone 3GS, which washes out color as a result of its superbright screen. Both the Behold II and the Nexus One have incredibly deep blacks, but they both oversaturate colors to the point that they're inaccurate and sometimes distracting. " (Battle Royale: Five smartphone screens face off | Dialed In - CNET Blogs)

Anyway, not super exciting, but it's always good to see our favorite phone stand as king of the mountain. I apologize if this has been previously referenced.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
The screen quality of the Droid was the #1 reason why I switched, the second reason was the speed. I came from the T-Mobile Mytouch. Text readability on the Droid is #1.

tu3218

Reaction score
Yeah I just read that article, the screen on the droid is truly amazing. I didn't think it would beat AMOLED screens cause I thought they were the future and best but guess not.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't hang my Droid on the wall to display old masters so I'm not sure that technical color accuracy is critically important.

That said, the one feature that prompted me to get the Droid was the fact that I could actually read the d**n screen in the sunlight. My previous WinMo smartphone worked well enough when I was sitting at my desk. I could read and respond to emails with little difficulty. I could even read a spreadsheet or Word doc.

However, when I was sitting at my desk I didn't have to use a phone for those functions. I have two large monitors sitting on my desk.

Where the Droid really shines (sorry) is when I have to read and answer an email while standing outside. It's so good that if my arms were only 12 inches longer I could do it without my glasses.