CNET Article "A fifth of Android apps expose private data"

missrachel

Reaction score
Report: A fifth of Android apps expose private data

Hi all! I just happen to come across this article from CNET.com... needless to say I was NOT happy! But it has brought up an issue I have been wondering about for a while, regarding replacement keyboards. When selecting a replacement keyboard app (like Smart Keyboard Pro, which I am using) a notification pops up warning you that the app can collect data input on the keyboard.... is this something I should worry about????? :\

Someone tell me I'm just being paranoid.... ;)

Reaction score
You do have to watch out for apps that have little download numbers because they can steal your information. As far as mainstream apps that tons of people have been downloading, your best bet is to check the reviews of the app. Then make a decision based on this. Most of the information they collect is not really private based on the privacy policy of most apps. But be careful!

cruzhm

Reaction score
Isn't this kind of our own doing? Many of us choose android phones because of the ability to customize them. We want to taylor them to our liking. We want them to fit our individual needs. By downloading some of these apps, isn't that simply an extension of this need? I know I enjoy the personalized information. Does it mean that I want it floating all over the internet, no. Sometimes though you have too take the good with the bad. Just my opinion though. I'm sure not everyone sees it this way.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
When selecting a replacement keyboard app (like Smart Keyboard Pro, which I am using) a notification pops up warning you that the app can collect data input on the keyboard.... is this something I should worry about????? :\
Only if the app can also communicate. I mean, it does no good if the hacker has to have physical access to your phone to get the data he was maliciously collecting. Read the warnings and think it through when installing apps. ;)

Hi all! I just happen to come across this article from CNET.com... needless to say I was NOT happy!
You had to read an article to discover this? Have you just been ignoring the warnings at install time?

I'm not saying there's no need to be concerned but also consider the source (as always). What does Smobile Systems do?

Last edited:
OP
missrachel

missrachel

Reaction score
Takeshi, I do read the warnings before installing replacement keyboards. But I figured it was just a technicality. Is it possible (or at all likely, rather) for the developers behind an app like smart keyboard pro to use my identity or personal info in some malicious way? Just wondering what the general consensus is on the subject of replacement keyboards...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope that CNET article was prefaced by "In order to keep the paranoia at the proper level, we present this article."

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
While it is our own responsibility to look at what perms the app is requesting, a smart thing to do by the way, looking at the numbers also gives perspective.

My opinion of CNET goes like this:

CNET is to the Internet for informative articles as the Today show is to the same on Television ...

Plain and simple - open source will always carry risk. My flying always carries risk, what you do is minimize that risk where ever possible.

Using those numbers, 80% of the dev's out there creating apps would likely answer you as to why their app needs a certain permission, etc. Feel free to ask, because unlike Apple, you will most likey get a good answer.

The phone is like a PC, play smart and you really won't have to worry.