CM7 WOW!! (Warning Noob tale)

JokerSeven

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole rooting & ROMing thing. I wanted more out of my phone and knew it was possible. I spent countless hours studying up on the process and learning the lingo. Last week I rooted and then installed the leaked Gingerbread rooted version. It was great but the more I read and studied, the more I kept seeing references to CM7. This morning I SBF'd and flashed nightly 42. WOW my eyes have been opened. This is amazing. I was considering getting a new phone in the coming months. That is no longer even a thought. My D2 has new life. I just wanted to take a moment to thank Droid Forums and everyone here for the wealth of information found on this site. I have learned so much.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its crazy how much better CM7 is over the GB based ROMs.

CM74DX

havens1515

Reaction score
I know how ya feel. I spent over an hour in CM settings when I first flashed (which was about 2 months ago now, before the official nightlies) and yet, someone today pointed me to a forum post about a portion of CM Settings that I had never seen. It is so customizable, it's ridiculous. It's fast, it's stable, it's functional... it's everything I have ever wanted in a ROM.

RubberRubix

Reaction score
I know how ya feel. I spent over an hour in CM settings when I first flashed (which was about 2 months ago now, before the official nightlies) and yet, someone today pointed me to a forum post about a portion of CM Settings that I had never seen. It is so customizable, it's ridiculous. It's fast, it's stable, it's functional... it's everything I have ever wanted in a ROM.

Got a link to that forum by any chance? Thanks!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

tattedupboy

Reaction score

Now you should know better than to mention a forum post about CM settings you've never seen without telling us where we can find it. SHARE!

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

silverfang77

Reaction score
You have to SBF back to 2.2 Froyo? You can't just install CM7 straight from the Gingerbread leak?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have to SBF back to 2.2 Froyo? You can't just install CM7 straight from the Gingerbread leak?

No you have to sbf.

There is a file from TBH called the All In One installer that you can flash and its supposed to be the same, but an sbf gives a completely clean slate to work with

CM74DX

silverfang77

Reaction score
Do I need RSD Lite to SBF so I can install CM7? Is a nandroid backup advised? If I need to do one of those, do I use Recovery or ROM Manager to do it?

Thank you.

draexo

Reaction score
No you have to sbf.

There is a file from TBH called the All In One installer that you can flash and its supposed to be the same, but an sbf gives a completely clean slate to work with

CM74DX

This TBH file fails. You need to SBF. I speak from experience.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

silverfang77

Reaction score
In order to SBF, would I need to download the 2.3.20 SBF, flash to that, then upgrade to CM7?

draexo

Reaction score
Do I need RSD Lite to SBF so I can install CM7? Is a nandroid backup advised? If I need to do one of those, do I use Recovery or ROM Manager to do it?

Thank you.

I use Titanium Backup. I gave up doing the nandroid backups. It would not hurt to do a nandroid backup, but they will not work cross platform, aka Froyo vxs Gingerbread.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I use Titanium Backup. I gave up doing the nandroid backups. It would not hurt to do a nandroid backup, but they will not work cross platform, aka Froyo vxs Gingerbread.

I do have Titanium Backup. That would be much less trouble than trying to get a nandroid to work.