1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

CM7 RC2 Issues

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by lilhill, Mar 27, 2011.

1. lilhill

lilhill New Member

Hey all...

I switched from LithMod to CM6 a couple months ago and then to CM7 recently.

Since switching to CM7 I've had a few issues which seem to do with memory usage (maybe).

The first issue is that I have bad issues with my home screens redrawing. I've gone into settings and "locked home in memory" and also changed the VM heap size to 32M but the problem persists.

The second issue is that if I'm listening to music/media via the stock Music app or Google Listen, if I switch to any other app or even just go to my home screen, the Music or Google Listen app stops/closes. I do not get a FC message or anything. It seems like the phone just runs out of memory possibly and shuts the app down.

Any idea how I can fix these problems?

I have tried the "echo ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 >> /data/local.prop" fix to save the home screens in memory, but whenever I look in the /data folder, the local.prop file is never made.

Any help would be appreciated!

I realize this is a double post, but this is probably a better place for this thread...
  2. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

Both your problems have been discussed heavily in other threads. Basically between the higher memory demands for GB and the lack of memory on the D1, it's causing problems with GB aggressively killing apps.
  3. lilhill

lilhill New Member

Makes sense to me. I haven't hardly had time to do much searching bc I've been working a lot recently and the issue was starting to get quite problematic.

I changed my VM heap size from 32 to 24 and that seems to have fixed the issue of the apps closing.

Any insight as to why I cannot create a local.prop file in the root data folder?
  4. mjones73

mjones73 New Member

What app are you using to try to view the folder? Only root explorer or the command prompt work for me.
  5. lilhill

lilhill New Member

I was using Astro to try and view the file. I've got Root Explorer and can see everything now. Thanks for that!
  6. sbenson

sbenson Beta Team

Try setting your home to -1 instead of 1. I've had zero reraws since doing so.

Also, you could try auto memory manager to help with music being killed. I use the advanced settings set at 6, 12, 24, 30, 40, 50 and have had great results.

My vm is set at 40 and comp is at 26% with purging enabled if you're wondering. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. lilhill

lilhill New Member

Before I flashed from RC2 to #31 I changed my VM heap from 32 down to 24 and I'm not having the problem with music/other apps closing anymore. I'll try out the memory tool if it comes up again.

I flashed #31 and enabled purging of assets.

My local.prop is set at 1 now. What's the difference between 1 and -1?

Also, I don't understand what compcache is and haven't had time to look into it. Is it compatible with all kernels and such? I'm running a JDLFG right now.
  8. sbenson

sbenson Beta Team

The way I understand it is -1 will give it a lower chance of being killed.
  9. lilhill

lilhill New Member

Any idea what 1, 0 and -1 mean specifically?

And "it" is the home screen/launcher?
  10. sbenson

sbenson Beta Team

Yeah, -17, -1, 0, 1, 6, 15, etc, etc are all oom (out of memory) values that are assigned to apps and processes on your phone. Negative numbers (-17 being the lowest) are the least likely to be kicked out of memory where as positive numbers will be kicked out first. Usually setting home at 1 is enough, but if you're still getting redraws, set it to 0 or -1 and you should be good to go. And by "it" I do mean your launcher. It's been suggested in another thread that setting something to -17 will cause android to ignore it altogether, thus preventing it from ever having the chance of being kicked out of memory, but I don't know anyone that's done this. You probably don't want your launcher at a higher priority that most of android's operating system :)
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  11. lilhill

lilhill New Member

Awesome. Thanks!
    Makes sense now since I've seen that fix with both a 1, -1 and 0...
  12. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

Thanks for the info sbenson, trying out your config for auto memory. How did you get the VM size to 40? Mine only goes to 32. Thanks
  13. sbenson

sbenson Beta Team

If I remember right, I think it's related to prime's deprimed kernel #13. Install that, run his deprimed script and then recheck your cm settings and 40 should be an option.
  14. Artimis

Artimis New Member

^---- it's not kernel related. It can be set in the build.prop. winner's build includes 40mb as the default in the build.prop and has an option in the UI for it as well.

Personally, I have been having much better luck with 24 over 40. Bigger is not always better especially with a device like the OG Droid which only has 256mb of ram.