CM7 keeps bricking phone

reptile_spot

Reaction score
I've read threw many post b4 posting this. Seems semi common but not able to find any reasons to why it happens so maybe here.
Every time I install CM7 I brick my phone ("D2" not D2G) and need to SBF back to 2.3.2 (VRZ_A955_2.3.20_1FF_01.sbf). I'm using 4Zroot to root and clockworks bs to apply the rom but when I get into Clockworks to apply the rom it tells me my rom is "(bad)" or Fails integrity check. I got it to install once but the install had glitches in it like 3g wouldn't work and the home button didn't work at all just made the phone get stuck vibrating. The odd thing about all this I MD5 check the images and they pass every time unless I use a download enhancer*. Most the time if I do get the rom to install I just get stuck at the Motorola screen. PWR+X+Search > clear cache/reset doesn't seem to help either.

I've tried Images 2011-8-15, 2011-8-11 & 2011-8-8

2011-8-8 worked once so far. I had to clear all my cache several times to get it to even attempt to load though. Not sure why I need to clear cache so many times to get it to even try to load anything.

Steps I used. Install 4zroot > Root Phone > reboot > Launch 4zroot to make sure it worked > Install BS > give BS SU > boot into BS > Clear Cache, Clear Data, Clear Davlik & Clear Battery > install from zip > then the problems all start.Redflea was helping me with trying to get this figured out last night. They were installed 2011-8-15 first try. Spent a good 14 hours trying to fix this. Kept me awake till 0840.
One good thing to come from this is I got SBFing down to a art now. Windows and Linux.

*download manager did corrupt images twice though I caught them with a MD5 check.

I'll keep updating this post till someone follows up with a list of CM7 images I've tried.
cm_droid2_full-47.zip Installed w/o failing Integrity check or just saying (bad) result = Bootloop twice then a Droid Maintenance screen (bricked). Re SBFing~
cm_droid2_full-46.zip Installed result = Bootloop twice then a Droid Maintenance screen (bricked). Re SBFing~ again.

Maybe CM7 just sucks for Droid 2s' anyone know any other GB builds that might install and have stable releases for the D2?

Last edited:

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will be blatant and say that you're doing something wrong. I've used almost every build you've mentioned, and I haven't had to SBF at all.

You should use the following method to install CM7 fresh.

Cyanogenmod7 method? - Android Forums

HavoC

Reaction score
the only noticeable thing I may see is that your .sbf is a 2.3 something, which would indicate it is a gingerbread rom/installation. CM7 on the Droid 2 requires you to .sbf back to froyo (android 2.2) before installation, something that isn't typically required by many other Droid 2 Roms. If your .sbf is of a froyo rom/installation, and I am mistaken, I'm not really sure what you would be doing wrong. Good luck either way, hope things work out for ya.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
the only noticeable thing I may see is that your .sbf is a 2.3 something, which would indicate it is a gingerbread rom/installation. CM7 on the Droid 2 requires you to .sbf back to froyo (android 2.2) before installation, something that isn't typically required by many other Droid 2 Roms. If your .sbf is of a froyo rom/installation, and I am mistaken, I'm not really sure what you would be doing wrong. Good luck either way, hope things work out for ya.

You are incorrect. The SBF is Motorola version 2.3.20. Gingerbread is Google version 2.3.

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
seems all the spamming of cache clears / data clears was a fluke can't repeat it. Bricked my phone 11 times today so far. I'm hoping all the re-SBFing isn't going to screw the phone up. Though One thing I notice is the phone runs differently every time I SBF it. For instance the Activate phone option isn't always there or sometimes the Verizon Backup utility hangs or the Setup phone doesn't ever prompt me to add Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Flickr logins. Sometimes it does. Out of the 11 SBFs I did it only prompted me for the Logins twice. I'm starting to wonder if the phones main memory might be bad. Any way to check it?

Just added the quote maybe it is my phones memory?

The link you posted to install CM7 is the same one I'm using to the "T". I'm starting to think the phones suffering from a unknown problem.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Just added the quote maybe it is my phones memory?

The link you posted to install CM7 is the same one I'm using to the "T". I'm starting to think the phones suffering from a unknown problem.

I've SBF'd over 100 times, and sometimes it will load normally, while other times, I won't have any icons show up on my homescreen. Either way, you can still flash a ROM normally.

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
ok, thanks! I'm going to try using the bootloader in the link you posted for it. I've been using the paid Clockwork one from Google Market maybe that is my problem.

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
Very odd. Its the same Bootstrapper app I bought from Marketplace for $2.99 but mine bricks the phone and the free one installs just fine... both 1.0.0.5 by Clockwork. XD

Well Thanks for the link to the working Bootstrapper! Wish I didn't waste money on the one I got now that bricked my phone 12 times in total today!

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Very odd. Its the same Bootstrapper app I bought from Marketplace for $2.99 but mine bricks the phone and the free one installs just fine... both 1.0.0.5 by Clockwork. XD

Well Thanks for the link to the working Bootstrapper! Wish I didn't waste money on the one I got now that bricked my phone 12 times in total today!

You donated to the developer, which is fantastic. I hope it works out.

tattedupboy

Reaction score
How are you booting into recovery? Are you using Droid 2 Bootstrapper or ROM Manager? If you're using Droid 2 Bootstrapper, that's probably the problem. To flash CM7, you have to use ROM Manager.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
How are you booting into recovery? Are you using Droid 2 Bootstrapper or ROM Manager? If you're using Droid 2 Bootstrapper, that's probably the problem. To flash CM7, you have to use ROM Manager.

If you have ALREADY flashed CM7 attemping to get into recovery, that is correct. However, to flash CM7 from 2.3.20, I'd recommend Bootstrap, which does work fine.

Htown315

Reaction score
I have had bad results flashing from rom manager in the past. I'm not bashing the app because it's great, but for flashing I boot into recovery from the reboot options and wipe/flash manually.

Last edited: