CM7 Bricks phone 90%~ of time

reptile_spot

Reaction score
I know I've posted this before but I'm trying to figure things about a little. I try to update only when there are big changes.
Tools I've used. Rom Manager/ROM Toolbox (100% Brick Chance with it) & Droid2 Boot Strapper/4Zroot about 75%~ (4SBFs to one clean install) brick chance.
I've installed CM7 twice so far w/o problems, But I'm unable to figure out why it worked those two times and not all the others? I'm using the same APKs every single time the only thing that changed in the CM7 build.
Is it normal to brick it so often?
Droid2 Boot Strapper often gives me the error that its unable to read zip "(Bad)". I've tried using other SD cards also same result. Currently I've trying to update to CM7 Build 100 upgrading from CM7 Build 34.

Things I've noticed: Droid2Bootstrapper from Google's Marketplace also bricks phone 100%. XD learned that the hard way after almost 50 SBFs then started using a version I found in the forums here that works some of the time.

On the upside I have SBFing down to an art on just about every operating system out there.

The ROM I'm using is located here CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution File Name is cm_droid2_full-100.zip.

Percentages based on my exp over the past 50~SBFs. Total Installs that have worked 4 out of 50~ (94%)

I did manage to get cm_droid2_full-100.zip to install on the 4th SBF (4 seems to be my magic number using the 2.5~ Stapper) Wish I could get the Rom Manager/Rom Tool box to work though. I think they don't because they use the latest strapper that for some reason bricks phone every single time.

Again this is all a quest for knowledge for me. Just trying to figure out why I have such a high rate of failures.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
I can see why D2 Bootstrap is not working. You are actually not supposed to use it on CM7 or other 2nd-init ROMs which would be the type of ROM CM7 is. Now why you are having a 100% fail rate with ROM Manager, which is designed to work with CM, I do not know. What steps do you use to install with it and what do you select to wipe?

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
Install Order
1. Install Z4root
2. Run z4root
3. Once rooted, run Droid2Bootstrapper
4. Wipe data/factory default
5. Clear Cache
6. Advanced, Wipe Dalvik, Wipe Battery stats
- Back
8. Install .zip from SD card
9. Install CM7 (First "Often I get the whole blah blah (bad) Aborting update." here)
- Back
10.Install GApps
- Back
11.Reboot

OP
R

reptile_spot

Reaction score
Well after some testing I figured it out. Seems the problem is in my SD cards. Messing around moving files from main memory to SD about 1 in 40 got corrupted, I was able to repeat the corruption moving files from PC to SD also & Using a MD5 check I was able to determine that the files became corrupted just from the SD cards being accessed. Thank god I had an old 2GB SD card to get my phone working again with CM7. dancedroiddancedroid

Funny how my four Month old 16GB card died and my 4 year old 2GB card is still kicking.

All this time SBFing I've done could have been avoided if not for this SD card. :icon_evil:

Thanks again for pointing out the problem with Rom manager, Its working now.
Just have to wait on the mail to get a decent sized SD again.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Glad you got it figured out. And sorry I don't know how I missed that you posted in here again. I would have responded.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk