Cm6 vs CM7

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by baldybill, Nov 23, 2011.

1. baldybill

baldybill Member

Ok, I'm sure it's been asked before, but I am not easily finding it..

If I went back to a froyo rom, like cm6,
    Would it be more stable?
    What major features would I lose?

Sent from my OG Droid
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

It would be more stable. I can't remember all the features added between the two but i'm sure some would be lost. But if stability is the overriding factor then the lost features aren't too much.

LLR0717
  3. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Anything froyo should be more stable for the D1 since that was intended for it. And I am in the same boat as jstaff on this one and not remembering what was added for cm7. However, I am fairly certain that much of the lockscreen tweaks will not be present in cm6, such as custom shortcuts.
  4. baldybill

baldybill Member

Stability is a factor, but so is features. If I just wanted stable, I'd go back to stock.

Anyone else know of major features I would lose?
    Is cm6 still available?

Sent from my OG Droid
  5. JSM9872

Well as I said the lockscreen customization will be limited. And I do not know if you use it or not but the theme changer will definitely not be there, that is for CM7 and some other GB ROMs.

And as far as where you can get it I am not sure, that would probably take some looking around.
  6. baldybill

baldybill Member

Ok. Now that I've used Pete's for a while, the theme chooser and lockscreen tweaks don't matter. If it's just visual stuff like that, I'm fine.

Anyone else think of major changes?
    Anyone else know where I might find cm6?

Sent from my OG Droid
  7. mightybrick

mightybrick New Member

I believe notification power widget was added in CM7. I really use that alot, so I don't know if I could drop back to CM6.
  8. baldybill

baldybill Member

I used to use that notification power widget too. Now I use widgetoid on anticipation of the fact that the razr and gnex don't have it.

Anyone know where I can get cm6 from?

Sent from my OG Droid
  9. JSM9872

10. baldybill

baldybill Member

Ah, thanks. I assumed that it would only have CM7

Sent from my OG Droid
  11. JSM9872

No problem!! And I was surprised too, I just clicked on "stable" for the heck of it.

Thinking about flashing it on my spare phone just for kicks.
  12. wingdo

wingdo New Member

I am running 6.1.2 on my D1 and using it as a SIP phone for my home number. It is the most stable ROM I have run on the D1. And it does have power widgets, so no you do not need CM7 to get the widgets.
  13. AlphaMack

AlphaMack New Member

I went back to 6.1.2 after trying to get 7.1 to play nice on my D1. Even with a 128 MB swap partition and V6 Supercharger script (6,8,26,28,30,32) the system bogs down after about a day and needs to be rebooted. It's even worse with compcache. The camera app is also unreliable. I have the same setup with 6.1.2 and it's smooth like butter with hardly any issues. This is with the deprimed kernel, same V6 settings, 128 MB swap partition, and a 656 MB ext3 partition with around 175 apps installed on the phone.

I can't really think of any lost features other than some nicer ring and notification tones and a few extra tweaks, but I'll take stability any day. I also have better battery life with CM6.
  14. mightybrick

mightybrick New Member

By power widgets, do you mean the power toggles which reside in the notification pull-down?
  15. nowetdio45

nowetdio45 New Member

cm 6 is more stable on my phone
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  16. megna22

megna22 New Member

Dam people can't beleave all these people haveing trouble with CM 7. I've been running it since 7 became avilable. No worries!! I would find it very hard to go back!!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  17. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Are there any tricks to getting ext2/3/4 and swap working with CM6? I am using 7.1 now and Link2Sd but its been so long since I've set it up originally that I can't remember if I needed to do anything special to get it to work. A search gives me nothing much to go on (at least that I can see). I also run Deprimed kernel if that makes any difference.

I agree that I would rather have stability at this point than the extra bells and whistles.

Thx!
  18. AlphaMack

AlphaMack New Member

You need a kernel that supports sd-ext. Deprimed is a good choice. Back up your SD card and format it either with ROM Manager or a partition editor on your PC (e.g. GParted). You must have your partitions in this order: FAT32, ext3 (or ext4), and linux-swap. Run Link2SD and it will offer to place the appropriate scripts for mounting the ext partition. Reboot your D1.

Now you can move whatever was on the FAT32 partition to the ext3/4 partition. To do this, first move those SD apps to the internal memory then use Link2SD to create a link for each. You can check off everything when prompted. Reboot when finished.

The advantage? The ext3/4 partition won't mount when you set up your D1 to transfer files and you won't need to wait for all of your apps2sd to be recognized and load.

One major caveat: DO NOT WIPE cache or Dalvik cache via CWR! When the cache gets rebuilt it will be on the internal memory and you'll run out of space. If lucky you can relaunch Link2SD and do a batch operation on all of your linked apps (create link and check off everything). This will move things from your linked apps back onto the ext3/4 partition.

Based on that caveat it should go without saying that you have your desired setup (ROM and kernel) and do not plan to make any more changes.

BTW, CWR will do a backup of your ext3/4 partition if it detects it.
  19. shawner47

shawner47 New Member

Good deal! I couldn't remember if I needed to mount the ext partition first before running Link2Sd. I already have the card all set up and running it with CM7 right now, so if I am correct in my thinking (which may or may not be the case) then I should be able to wipe, load CM6.1.2, load deprimed, then Link2Sd and run with it... correct? I use rzrecovery instead of CWR so I'm not sure how that might affect things, though I doubt it will make a difference.

Thanks for the fast reply! Hopefully I can get this done tonight. dancedroid
Search tags for this page
cm 6 vs 7
cm 6 vs cm 7

cm6 vs cm7

cm7.2 setting for battery life
cyaogen mod 6 vs cm7
droid bionic cm6
how change cm6 to cm7 android
milestone cm6 vs cm7