Closing Apps

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by Harucho, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Harucho

Harucho New Member

Hello all, There are just some apps that continually open on my DroidX such as Skype. I never plan on using it and I never open it yet when I run my Task Killer I always see it open...How do I remove apps like this or at least disable it so it won't run anymore? Also, the app "Social Networking" I assume is for that MotoBlur stuff...I would like just to disable all that stuff I don't ever use (in hope to save some battery life). Is there any app or setting? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Uninstall Task Killer it is not needed.

Read up on the way Android manages memory and stop worrying yourself over something that the OS handles very well.
  3. Harucho

Harucho New Member

But i've seen myself get up to 10-15 maybe 20 open apps and half of them I never opened directly...doesn't that kill the battery? Skype is the app I would just love to uninstall...
  4. sonicxtacy02

sonicxtacy02 New Member

its not killing the battery if it doesnt have a connection to a server and is only running in idle state. You can tell alot of former blackberry users are on to the droid X now lol.
  5. Timskis6

Timskis6 New Member

Sonic - as a former blackberry user (and new Droid X user) I'd love to read up on the specific info you're describing. I have no idea where to begin finding it, though. Specifically info on how the OS handles processes (idle or active), and the "special" memory management scheme you mentioned above.

Cheers,
    Tim
  6. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

Ref Skype I did see on another post that if you actually open the program you can go into the settings and tell it to stop loading at boot up. So that will be one less app it will run, but yes coming from BB this phone does run alot of stuff. But general thought is that it's meant to and does not kill battery as bad as you think.
  7. aminaked

aminaked New Member

If it has a setting to have it not run, use it. Otherwise, unless it is a really poorly designed app it is probably just sitting in memory. This uses basically no battery power so just relax.

When I first got my droid I was about to return it when I found out that the amazon mp3 store could not be uninstalled. However, I now ignore it. It sits in memory sometimes and doesn't bother me. It was a bit of a hard pill to swallow because on windows I run a tight ship...all services/registry settings set so needless stuff doesn't run. On android, we don't have this control unless we root. Sucks, but the phone is great anyway. Consider rooting if it still bothers you in a month.
  8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

The android operating system is nothing like Windows/Palm/RIM/Etc. Android loads apps in memory so they will be immediately available when you need them. Let me stress, these apps are not "running" in the sense that programs run when started in Windows. They are simply sitting in memory. You don't have to worry about them, as they do no harm just staying in memory until needed. If android needs additional memory, it will remove whatever needs to be removed in order to have the amount of memory it requires. Forget about watching how much free memory you have because it changes as the operating systems needs change. Delete any task killer the idiot Verizon reps convinced you to install, or that they installed. Killed apps will, in most cases, be put right back in memory by android.
Search tags for this page
close applications on droid x
close apps droid x
close open apps droid x
close running apps droid x
droid bionic closing apps
droid x close running apps

droid x closing apps

droidx close applications
how do i close apps on my droid x
how to close apps on a droid x

how to close apps on droid x