Closing and deleting apps

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by philnolan3d, Aug 25, 2010.

1. philnolan3d

philnolan3d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got my droid x so I'm still getting used to how android works.i download Seesmic,then Tweetdeck and decided I liked that better. Then it occurred to me that I have no idea how to remove an app.

I'm also curious about closing apps. Is their some easy way of closing apps and actually closing them? Coming from an iphone here, even with multitasking it seemed a lot easier there.

2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Remove an app by going to the Market and you can uninstall it from there.

Closing apps isn't as necessary in Android as it is in other operating systems. Once an app does not "have focus" (is not on the open screen) it is hibernated and should not be drawing power or cpu cycles. The exception could be something that you have opened and it requires to know the phones location such that is uses GPS to keep track of where it is. Otherwise just go to the next screen/app and the old one goes to sleep. You also don't have to worry about free ram as Android will kill any apps in ram if it needs additional ram to run whatever you may have asked it to do.

Also, it will put apps in ram when there is free, open ram. that way the apps are instantly available when you need them. It's a very dynamic management system.

3. philnolan3d

philnolan3d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, my problem is when I "closed" Seesmic but still kept getting updates in the status bar that I didn't want because I wasn't using that app anymore. Now with your uninstalling help I've removed Seesmic but I can see that being a problem with other apps.

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Anytime a developer updates an app and you have it installed you will receive a notification to update. You do not, however, need to update. I have RomManager installed and receive frequent update notifications. It has been several months since I applied an update to RM.

Mike

5. philnolan3d

philnolan3d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not talking about app updates. Seesmic is for Twitter so these are tweets (messages). Like every couple hours.

6. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the clarification. I do not use Seesmic so I was not aware it was used to tweet.

I'm not understanding -- you closed Seesmic and still received notifications Then you uninstalled Seesmic but "I can see that being a problem with other apps."

Now that you've uninstalled Seesmic what problem are you anticipating with other apps?

I use a different twitter app and when I close the app I still receive notifications. To stop receiving the notifications, I need to reboot or open the app and disable notifications. Would disabling the notifications resolve your concern?

Mike

7. philnolan3d

philnolan3d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just meant that other apps might do the same annoying thing Seesmic was doing if I have no way to actually close them. Another time was last night when I searched for something with the Navigation just to test it out. Then I "closed" it and later I was driving and it started giving me directions that I didn't want. At least that one has an option to close it for real in the menu.

I started DLNA yesterday and now that keeps showing up in the Notifications too. I just don't like something being open when I'm not using it.

#7 philnolan3d, Aug 25, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  8. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    I meant to say earlier that normally if an needs to closed when you are through with it, it will have an exit/close option in the menu. If I encounter one that needs the button, but the dev did not put one, I uninstall it and find a better written app. Report it to the dev and get rid of it until it is fixed.

9. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Not familiar with DLNA but check the notifications and if they are not something you wish to receive on a continuing basis disable.

Mike

10. gonnadie4thegov

Ratings:
    +0
    that doesnt close anything, it turns navigation off. google maps is still idle in the background.

if you dont want apps to notify you, uninstall the app or turn it off in the settings

11. philnolan3d

philnolan3d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'd still rather a way to close apps. So far this is turning out kinda disappointing.

12. aminaked

aminaked Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you stop using the app, the OS handles closing it. Android is different from other operating systems, but it isn't something to be disappointed about. I like not having to worry about closing apps.

Search tags for this page

fbsession is closing on deleteng the app from background

is closing an app and deleting the same thing